bull for terminal cross

Help Support CattleToday:

350farms

Reaction score
Need some feedback on my current plan. My main herd of commercial cows are heavy angus influence with a lot mixed in. My second herd which I am just starting up is F1 Brangus with a registered Hereford bull on them. I am going to sell all of the steers and retain the choice heifers as replacements for my main herd. This is where I am having trouble making up my mind on the bull. I plan on selling all of the calves from my main herd, so I'm not looking to raise any replacements out of this cross. I know my market loves the black baldies (hence why I'm raising the super blacks as my replacements) so I want a bull that has easy calving characteristics, and would maintain the black baldy. I am thinking either a black simi or a sim-angus. I am also bearing in mind that whichever bull I go with will be the herd bull with my mixed breed angus cows. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

It would be a easy choice for me,Homo black Simm..you already got 3 crosses in the cows, angus being one. and will have a dab of breed regression with the simangus , you will get a better bang out of the straight simmi

A pb sim would be the way to go. Adding a PB Continental of any breed would help a lot in adding muscle, and vigor, but the black simmy would keep'em black.

sim.-ang.king said:
A pb sim would be the way to go. Adding a PB Continental of any breed would help a lot in adding muscle, and vigor, but the black simmy would keep'em black.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll post results of the crosses.