Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Briar Ridge Angus

Reaction score
Tell me your thoughts on this bull. Good,bad, or indifferent. I am interested in hearing your alls opinions as I am new to the game. Thank you all in advance.

Here is a little background on the bull:
Dam: AAA17895281
Sire: AAA17755108
This bull is out of the above heifer. This is her first calf and I believe that she has done a pretty good job.

While I've never been much of a fan of the New Design breeding- I do like the length and flat back/tailbone this little bull seems to have in the pictures...Not sure of his age- but appears to have fairly good scrotal and decent depth and capacity.. With his smooth features and the calving ease in his pedigree, he should work as a heifer bull..

Caustic Burno":2ti6hwzu said:
I would like to see his butt
Bulls need nuts guts and butts

I agree

Overall he appears to be a nice calf but hard to judge without knowing his age.

He's a good weaner, not sure there is enough muscle, especially over the top, to consider him a real bull prospect. His dam has done him very well.

Managed to get out and get a few pictures of the bull from behind and also snapped a few pictures of his half sister.

A little background info on the heifer: born the same day as the bull so about 8 months old.
Dam: AAA17900884.
Again out of a first calf heifer! I am still open to all opinions about both!

He's not a bad calf. Got more hip than some posted here. Could use some top on him. He's a little roofy from the back. Carries his muscle down Ok and Isn't too bad ribbed. Some guts to him too.

I appreciate your alls thoughts! Like I have indicated I am a little new to the whole thing. 3way, is the more hip a good thing or a bad thing and can you try to explain. Also, what do you mean by roofy? Sorry for the ignorance!

Yes more hip(meaning a longer hip) is good. Longer hipped cattle are more structurally sound. Roofy is pretty self explanatory. Look at the picture you took from the back. His tailhead looks like the ridgeline of a roof and then falls off. More width is also a good thing.

Just a little update on the calf if any of you all are interested. The mashed the scales at 919lbs for his official wean weight with a 48" hip height. Not bad for my first bull born and raised on the old farm.

Briar Ridge Angus":2heqoguu said:
Just a little update on the calf if any of you all are interested. The mashed the scales at 919lbs for his official wean weight with a 48" hip height. Not bad for my first bull born and raised on the old farm.

Not sure the "weaning " weight impresses me when you show him standing at the feeder. Also most folks "wean" at around 205 days. Not 9 months. Just sayin!

Latest posts