Bull calf with trouble walking and balance

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok so I have a 5 moNth old bull calf that is walking like he is drunk. He has trouble getting up and keeping his balance. He is staggering on his hind legs when he walks. We have been treating him for a few days but he doesnt seem to be getting better. We first gave him wormer and bose. The vet said to start him on penn g, dex, and banamine. He got a little better on day three but hasnt seen any improvement since. We pushed his penn dose to 30cc twice a day. The vet thinks it may be a spinal abcess. He is eating, drinking and nursing. We vaccinate with triangle 9 and alpha 7. We run a closed herd and havent had anything like this before. The vet is coming out tomorrow to take blood and check him out. The worst part is he is an excellent bull calf out of DR World Class.

I would just keep pushing the pen twice a day, sometimes it takes 3 weeks to see any improvement. You need to talk to your vet about a better anti inflam to use besides dex and banamine too . Good luck .

Vey was here........thinks it could also be something as simple as an injury from the other cows. The vet noticed that his back is slightly arched and said its a way the bull is showing he's in pain. He said to keep giving the penicillin for a few more days and use aspirin boluses for pain/inflammation control rather than Banamine. I have never given these "bolus pills"........how do I know I am putting it in the right place and not in his lung?!? I have tube fed a calf before but she was much younger and smaller.

Rather then go through the hassle of a bolus, I just thrw seom regular people aspirin in a little bit of grain. A minimum of 2 but after that 1 per cwt, I do it twice a day.

Thanks dun. Unfortunately the calf was open mouth breathing and seizing when we went out this morning. Had the vet come out and put him down. The vet seems to think it was some type of neurological issue that we probably could not prevented. Called university of penn to see about an autopsy but I dont think I really want to cut off his head and bring them the brain. Kinda sucks it was our first calf we lost. Thanks for the help.

That is too bad, sorry .

As far as non steroidal anti inflammatories I am hoping now that Metacam/Meloxicam is approved for use in cattle the cost will come down, it can be given orally .

Latest posts