bull calf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
was bored so took a couple of pics of a bull calf i have. i have posted him a couple of months ago and he will be 6 months old on the first of january. he is not out of my best cow infact it was a heifer which i A.I'd. it is a good sire so i decided not to cut him and see how he gets on.
Picture143.jpg
Picture144.jpg
Picture146.jpg
Picture147.jpg

not sure at the moment. dont plan to weigh him untill he gets to 200 days which is another 3 weeks. i do confess that he is not the biggest and i do have a heifer from the same sire which was born 3 days later and is better looking in terms of length and depth but it was out of a better cow. out of 7 calves this year i only had 2 males. the other was a twin to a female which is now a steer. i kept this one as a bull so i can get a bit of experience feeding and handling a bull. at the end of the day if they dont make the grade then they all go the same way but at the moment it is of value to me in terms of experience.

i shaved his back when he came in for winter so he did nt sweat too much. the last week or so he's had the squits which matted the hair at the back end up so i decided to shave it off.
the wheel barrows belong to liverys which my mother runs.

sporder":2k8cp03p said:
i shaved his back when he came in for winter so he did nt sweat too much. the last week or so he's had the squits which matted the hair at the back end up so i decided to shave it off.
the wheel barrows belong to liverys which my mother runs.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe I've just lived a sheltered life, but I am consistently amazed at the things I see and learn here on CT. This is the first time in my life that I've ever seen a pink wheelbarrow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

horse women in uk are the strangest people ( or at least the ones at my mothers ). they think things like that are lovely. and when will they realise that horses do not talk back. you cant click your fingers around the horses without them flipping out. never meet such a nervous breed of animal.

sporder":3fagg8a4 said:
was bored so took a couple of pics of a bull calf i have. i have posted him a couple of months ago and he will be 6 months old on the first of january. he is not out of my best cow infact it was a heifer which i A.I'd. it is a good sire so i decided not to cut him and see how he gets on.
Picture143.jpg
Picture144.jpg
Picture146.jpg
Picture147.jpg
I will reserve comment on the bull as I believe that there are those far more qualified to do so. However I would like to comment on one statement. He is not out of your best cow. That leads me to believe he is bringing along some undesirable traits. He may turn out great depending on what he passes along to his progeny.

I would use a term to describe him that I wouldn't want used for a bull calf of his age. CUTE!

upfrombottom":3fy05sy4 said:
Maybe I've just lived a sheltered life, but I am consistently amazed at the things I see and learn here on CT. This is the first time in my life that I've ever seen a pink wheelbarrow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I bet you could leave it in the middle of the road 24/7 and no one would steal it :shock:

picked up some pails from a horse farm dispersal the exact same color as that wheelbarrow, for the exact reason you state 3way, I can take em to shows and no-one steals it.... :D

weighed the bull calf today out of curriosity. his birth weight was 103 llbs he now weighs 579 llbs. thats a daily weight gain of 2.64 llbs which should make his 200 day weight 634 llbs. he has been off his mother for 2 weeks and has now settled so will give him a little more barley. sire has very good 200-400-600 day weights but mother not so good. i dont intend to use him and will most likely be sold to one of the dairy farms in the area. again its a learning curve which i should gain experience from.

sporder":3jtak2ns said:
his birth weight was 103 llbs
from a heifer? :shock: What is your average birthweight in your herd? The Europeans are less sensitive about birthweight but even so that number scares me a little unless you routinely have 100# + BW's.

He is cute, though, and learning about bulls with one you aren't bent on keeping or using isn't all bad. But if he were mine his nuts would be gone, no offense.

Over here in the 3rd world selling a bull with a 103lb BW to a dairy farm would be defeating the purpose of using a hereford bull in the first place and will result in me not ever selling another bull to a dairy again even if he was free.

my average birth weight is lower. this was one of two heifers i A.I'd and was part of my learning curve. i decided that i wanted better genetics with better growth but made the mistake of not paying enough attention to birth weight. fortunately i got away with it in terms of no birth problems but wont do it again. alot of the good A.I sire that i have looked at recently have had high birth weights.

Sporder that weaning weight on the calf is very respectable. I like the others question the birth weight(I cut em at 90lbs) However for what you are doing he's not that bad and like you say he's a good one to learn on.

thanks. the whole reason of posting pics etc on here is to get other peoples thoughts. there is no faster way to learn than getting critisised or praised. i dont do things wrong on purpose they are innocent mistakes. if i cut every bull i am never going to know what i am doing right or wrong. dispite several opinoins on the bull i will see him through to at least 18 months and decide his future then.

Latest posts