bull calf pics

Help Support CattleToday:

rocket2222

Reaction score
Mineral feeder was empty, it was a pretty day, so I took the camera. Only ones interested were the bull calves. They're 5 1/2 to 6 months old.

IMG_381611.jpg

IMG_382111.jpg

He got bored with the whole thing pretty quick.

IMG_382911.jpg

4 wheeler looks interesting.

IMG_382511.jpg

IMG_382811.jpg

Finally salty lips

IMG_383011.jpg

and back to eating.

IMG_383911.jpg

They look good Paul.

Its off the subject but do you have a pic of the heifer on your website that is second from the last.She sure looked good.Also the fifth one down.

What good looking calves especially for 5-6 months old. Congratulations. Pretty scenery also. I like those rolling hills. Good ground for those cattle. Thank you for the pictures. Jim

Pretty day indeed! Beautiful pictures. Herefords sure are photogenic! I like the guy with the spot under his left eye. Actually really like both of them. Get nostalgic every time I see Hereford pictures. Grew up with them.
Wish we would have gotten pictures of my Grandpa's herd!

kenny thomas":wf7n3zxb said:
I have not owned a hereford bull for over 25 years but I could get interested in the one with the spot on his head. I really like him.

Wow! thanks, it was another great day today, so I took the camera again to check for new calves and caught the little bugger drinking.

backs were first

IMG_384811.jpg

fronts next
IMG_384911.jpg

IMG_385111.jpg

JHH":32wptx6p said:
They look good Paul.

Its off the subject but do you have a pic of the heifer on your website that is second from the last.She sure looked good.Also the fifth one down.

More than likely do, will have to check to see if I've loaded them back up after I crashed the computer the last time.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2t65oi2c said:
Calves look awesome! Around what frame size is your cattle?

I've only measured 1 cow in quite a few years, only then because someone on here asked. I do measure at yearling and send that in to the AHA. I also sold some older bigger cows last spring. Going by my yearling measurements on what I have left 5.5 to 6.6 BTW thanks. :)

SRBeef":3ecard0n said:
What good looking calves especially for 5-6 months old. Congratulations. Pretty scenery also. I like those rolling hills. Good ground for those cattle. Thank you for the pictures. Jim

Thanks Jim, now if I could get the grass to grow like yours, instead of the broom sage and fescue I'd be a happy camper. :lol:

CKC1586":3kg7mmnw said:
Pretty day indeed! Beautiful pictures. Herefords sure are photogenic! I like the guy with the spot under his left eye. Actually really like both of them. Get nostalgic every time I see Hereford pictures. Grew up with them.
Yep, I would also say he's the best overall.

Wish we would have gotten pictures of my Grandpa's herd

I expect most on here would have liked to have seen them too.

Well, just about wore the keyboard out. Took this picture today on the way out, it's the dam of the calf with all the white on him, he standing close by. By the looks of the bag and the teats sticking out to the side, he hadn't drank yet this evening. :lol:

IMG_385611.jpg

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Really good looking calves, Paul! It looks like your bull is really doing a good job nicking with your cows.

It's always amazing to me when I see a calf with all that white and know that he came out of a cow marked like that and a bull marked like your bull is. Genetics are really intriguing, particularly when it comes to the Hereford color patterns.

George

Herefords.US":22d6y5oz said:
Really good looking calves, Paul! It looks like your bull is really doing a good job nicking with your cows.

It's always amazing to me when I see a calf with all that white and know that he came out of a cow marked like that and a bull marked like your bull is. Genetics are really intriguing, particularly when it comes to the Hereford color patterns.

George
Ain't that weird, this is her forth calf, first one without eye pigment, and just to throw a wrench in the works, he's going to have the best head and eye set of the three bulls this year. His full brother last year was goggle eyed.

IMG_2973111.jpg

In person this year calf is a little better than last years calf at the same age, probably only worth about half just because the lack of eye pigment.
Mmm... just a thought, If they were just one solid color.. never mind. :lol:

Rocket, I know the logic is less pinkeye and fly problems with the color around the eyes however I have both full white face and goggle eyed and I see no difference at all.

Both seem to me to have about the same number of flies around the eyes during the peak of summer, you just don't notice them as much on the goggle eyed animals. But I see no difference at all due to coloring.

Rubs with permectrin and the dangling things seem to take care of both goggle and full white.

I do understand Knersie's thoughts on eye SET and think there is obviously some benefit in a grazing animal but I just do not see why a bit of color around the eyes is reason to lower value on a bull. Or have I just not seen the light yet?

Nice cow and calf by the way. And bull. I particularly like that cow. Goggle eyed or not.

Jim

rocket2222":3hqvh1rs said:
CKC1586":3hqvh1rs said:
Yep, I would also say he's the best overall.

Wish we would have gotten pictures of my Grandpa's herd

I expect most on here would have liked to have seen them too.

I found a box of old pictures while going thru my parents things that got packed up when the house was sold, this is a picture of Grandpa's place and his Holsteins, he milked then sold out the dairy cattle and went to Herefords would have been late 40's early 50's when he went into the Herefords. Still haven't found any pictures of the Herefords.
IMG_00022.jpg

Latest posts