Bull calf has very loose stool. Any help please.

Help Support CattleToday:

ortonewbull

Reaction score
I am very new at having calves and need a little help. The boy is about 3.5 weeks old and on milk replacer, water and some grain. The stool is very loose and all over his back end. What should I do? :???:

Get to know your local vet. In the mean time go to your feed store and get save a calf or something similar for scours and follow directions. You need to keep fluids in him before he dehydrates and he will do that rather fast. You also will need to become familiar with taking his temperature. Learn all you can now before it is too late. Go to Health and Nutrition and read through the first three topics. A wealth of information is in there and you may find a bunch of answers in them. Good luck, hope all comes out well.

Everyone will probably think I'm crazy, but I raised quite a few bottle calves through the years and always followed my father's advice of putting a raw egg in the milk two or three times a week. I don't believe I ever had to treat one for scours. I'm not going to say it made a difference, but I'm pretty sure it didn't hurt.

Rafter S":2t4ab9e4 said:
Everyone will probably think I'm crazy, but I raised quite a few bottle calves through the years and always followed my father's advice of putting a raw egg in the milk two or three times a week. I don't believe I ever had to treat one for scours. I'm not going to say it made a difference, but I'm pretty sure it didn't hurt.

Lots of folks have been doing that for year. You're probably just using too much milk replacer. Read directions and see if they are not for 100 lb. calf. Cut back on the dry milk replacer but continue to give fill the bottle full of warm water. Keep water available at all times along with a good calf starter if you haven't already done it.

Latest posts