bull calf delimema

Help Support CattleToday:

idylglade1

Reaction score
We had our hoof trimmer out the other day to trim my son's cattle that he is bringing to the county fair. By accident he skimmed the hide on his back left leg, with the hot dry weather and all the flies i rinsed it with alcohol then put coppertox on it. Two days later this bull calf has come up with a lump in his neck just in front of his right shoulder. (above this he had a shot of tetradure for hoof rot) Had the vet out, no temp can't figure out what the cause was, so we tried banamine, la 200 and an antihistimine, thinking maybe he got bit by a bug or something. Checked him regularly yesterday and last nite. Still the lump but is growing down into the brisket, it is tender and hot. Does any one have any ideas? I have to go over to the vet's today and she said to let her know if it has not gotten any better. Just thought I would put it out there in case anyone had experienced such a thing. Thanks!

The first thing that came to mind was a lump caaused by the medication. The heat and migration makes me wonder.

I asked my vet about that also. She had never seen it migrate in that direction with a shot before. She also asked if he had injured the shoulder. We have racked of poor little brains and cannot figure on anything that would have happened to that site or area to cause this.

Could possibly be an abcess?? Possibly caused by the treatment, or who knows. If he was handled in a headgate maybe he injured himself there?

Or it could just be Murphy's Law, just because you were planning on taking him somewhere soon. We have had similar things happen. Had a yearling heifer this spring we were going to sell, three days before the sale she was fine, the morning she was to go on the truck the entire side of her head was swollen up, we figured she had a serious abcess, but three days later she looked just like normal again. She is still here now......

Latest posts