Bull auctions

Help Support CattleToday:

Uncle Dude

Reaction score
I enjoy watching the bull sales on RFDTV, but I am shocked by the prices. I regularly see bulls sell for over $10,000 and sometimes several times that. My question is how do the buyers get back that amount of money to justify those prices? I can see that kind of price if the bull is selling semen all over the world, but there are too many bulls selling for lots of money that never make it to the ABS type websites.

With the sales I've been to this year and the ones I've watched on RFDTV I haven't seen many steer quality animals sell for less than $3500.

The breeding cattle business like many others is someone always striveing to improve their breed and we all have people in the purebred end that have money to invest or at least save some big dollars on their tax's. A working stockdog brought $10,000 at the Red Bluff sale recently. To me thats pretty big bucks for a dog but there must of been 2 bidders to arive at this figure so I'm guessing that they saw some thing they really needed or just needed to spend some money. Watch the race horse sales in Kt. and it is unbeiveable the big money that changes hands. There is some thoughts that all breeds needs these wealthy breeders to invest large amounts to really keep a breed alive and well. I really don't know for sure but have watched this happening for 70 years and know it went on longer than that. What does puzzle me is some of the really big dollars that is being invested in some females. I do realize that since the inception of the E.T. and its success that a cow's worth can be increased considerably. But stiil I wonder how some of these prices are arrived at.

Beef Man":zfisydkj said:
The breeding cattle business like many others is someone always striveing to improve their breed and we all have people in the purebred end that have money to invest or at least save some big dollars on their tax's. A working stockdog brought $10,000 at the Red Bluff sale recently. To me thats pretty big bucks for a dog but there must of been 2 bidders to arive at this figure so I'm guessing that they saw some thing they really needed or just needed to spend some money. Watch the race horse sales in Kt. and it is unbeiveable the big money that changes hands. There is some thoughts that all breeds needs these wealthy breeders to invest large amounts to really keep a breed alive and well. I really don't know for sure but have watched this happening for 70 years and know it went on longer than that. What does puzzle me is some of the really big dollars that is being invested in some females. I do realize that since the inception of the E.T. and its success that a cow's worth can be increased considerably. But stiil I wonder how some of these prices are arrived at.
or how many are actually paid.... ""big bucks"" or attention getters and about the best way to get your name rocket launched,, had a ropenin' buddy go look at a horse from a trainer/ trader he pulls up in his trailer the mans just happens to be on the phone with Joe Beaver about a horse............ yeah right :cowboy: