Bulk feeding equipment.

Help Support CattleToday:

forrest

Reaction score
I don't know if I am feeding enough to justify it or not but we are feeding about 200 lbs a day. I have always just bought in 50lb bags by the ton. Seems if I bought it bulk it would be a lot cheaper? I have never really been around bulk feeding so I am not sure how the logistics work. If I buy one of those gravity fed silos that holds a ton or two will the feed store come fill it up? If so are the delivery charges on a quantity that size going to wipe out the cost savings or do they deliver for free? Actually getting the feed to my cows once it is here is no problem I can just put it in the bucket of the tractor and dump it in the feed bunk but I am more concerned about how I get it to my place and how I store it and if i can do it cost effectively.

A 1 ton bin isn;t going to save you much. Ours holds 3 1/2 ton, it's delivered free and saves the basic 2 bits a bag that the feed stores add on for bagging.

We usually use 6 tons a year. Based on bulk vs bag we save about $1000/year. First year buys the bin and the rest is profit.

Buy the bin, we poured a concrete pad under. Shop around for prices, they deliver and should help set up your feed program. Not that hard, but saves lots of money.

I don't know about the smaller bins, but if you are feeding 10-30 tons per year they will fill them for you and the savings is typically $30-40 per ton off the bulk bag price. If I remember correctly there is a 10 ton limit around here. You also save on fuel driving to and from the feed store.

before you buy a bulk feed tank talk to your feed store an see what their min tons of feed they will deliver for free.most feedstores here will bring 3 tons of bulk feed for free.

Latest posts