Bulk feed bins

Help Support CattleToday:

DCB4

Reaction score
I'm wanting to throw up a bulk feed bin at the house. Been looking at traditional metal bin sheet hopper bins and poly bins. Has anybody had any experiences with the poly bins? And advantages over a metal one?

I'm wanting to throw up a bulk feed bin at the house. Been looking at traditional metal bin sheet hopper bins and poly bins. Has anybody had any experiences with the poly bins? And advantages over a metal one?
We have a three ton metal bin.
The only problem I have had, is in hot summer, when we weren't feeding much.
the corn in there cooked. It was a mess.
Just need to make sure you have no more in there that will get used up within a month.

I have two 6.5 ton poly dome bins. just last week added the second one, First one installed seven years ago.... still looks like new.
I have had the galvanized bins and they sweat in the summer months and corrode with the mineral packs that are in some feeds.
Feed flows easily from the top to the last bucket. Wouldn't have anything else but a poly bin.

I have two 6.5 ton poly dome bins. just last week added the second one, First one installed seven years ago.... still looks like new.
I have had the galvanized bins and they sweat in the summer months and corrode with the mineral packs that are in some feeds.
Feed flows easily from the top to the last bucket. Wouldn't have anything else but a poly bin.
Which ones are you using? It doesn't seem like there are too many companies around selling the poly

This is not relevant to what you can buy over there but I just picked up a little silo last week. I am pretty happy with the buy. It cost me $250. The main part is in very good condition and is heavily galvanised. The bottom cone part has some rust holes (it is only painted). Apparently the lid was left open after a feed delivery and wet feed was left in it which caused the corrosion. I'll treat the rust and just pop rivet some patches with sealant over the rusted areas, should not be a big deal to get it operational. It should take about 2.5 tonne of grain mix which is what the compartments in the Co-op trucks are. I have another small fibreglass silo that takes 4 tonne of grain mix, you can see it in the background in the 2nd pic. It has been awesome, grain mix in it keeps very well, absolutely no moisture.
Good thing about was that myself, wife and grandson were able to load it, tipped it over onto the tray of my truck then just used an endless chain to the headboard and some pipe to roll on and pulled it on with my grandson steadying it. He did the driving there and back as well. He is starting to be a handy fella for his old grandfather.

KenP1020286.JPGP1020288.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts