Building up my herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Go find 8 - 10 animals that are bred and have calves at side. Now you have about one - two years before you have to worry about a bull.

I have written on this extensively for others - but it you are new:

Find some 4 - 5 year old animals that are healthy, gentle and have no previous calving probs. You will have them soon enough anyway - everyone does sooner or later.

Figure out if you have room for more, or if you are over stocked at this rate. Adjust accordingly.

Do not do the "in all at once" routine. This ia a recipe for disaster. Get these animals, get used to them and THEN decide on your breeding program.

When you bring home your first animals - put them in a SOLID pen with food and water for a few days - otherwise you may chase them over hill and dale.

Have fun and enjoy your animals.

Bez

Having lived in South Central Texas years ago, you are looking at a cow to 4 to 5 acres. If you fertilize and use rotational grazing you can increase the stocking rate. I noticed that you said that you were going to sprig coastal bermuda or Tifton 85. Get your grass well established before you buy the first cow. It may take you another year to get into the business, but you will be better off.
Visit with the County Agent in La Grange. His name is Larry Nichols and he has hands on experience in beef production.
Good luck.

Bez that is excellent advice. That is pretty much how I started (small) and continue to grow...slowly. That seems to be working out well. I'm not saying I didn't want to go "whole hog", but i took the advice of more experienced folks back then and am glad I listened. And as to what BC posted about letting the grass get established, is very true. It will be well worth the wait. And I agree with the others, 1 bull will be enough.
Good luck and enjoy.

Katherine

Sounds to me like you probably won't be running more than ten or fifteen cows at best. Even a yearling bull can take care of that many. Buy a young bull, use him until you have breeding age replacement heifers, sell him, and buy another young bull. If the market stays like it is now, you will probably recoup most of your money by selling a mature bull on the market. This depends of course on just how much you spend on the bull to begin with. Good luck.

Latest posts