Building portable irrigation

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
Anybody had any luck building a portable sprinkler irrigation system? Tried dealing with the people from K-Line, they are impossible to deal with and really expensive. Some one posted info about a Lepod system a while back, anybody know who deals in those?

Ray

hayray":1uke6xaf said:
Anybody had any luck building a portable sprinkler irrigation system? Tried dealing with the people from K-Line, they are impossible to deal with and really expensive. Some one posted info about a Lepod system a while back, anybody know who deals in those?

Ray

There are a lot of "definitions" to a "Portable" system. Please clarify what you mean by "portable".

Portable includes everything from "one sprinkler head on a skid" to "a reel type unit with a water cannon (e.g., a "Kifco" unit), to a "center pivot system" which travels either in circle or horizontal. Any system on top of the ground would be considered "portable".

With more information I (and others on this board) can give you some more "educated" suggestions and/or examples.

I have a reel type system. Works dang good.

I can only irrigate about 12-15 acres per day with it though.

Thanks for the repies. I finally did find another irrigation supplier here in Michigan that found a towable pasture irrigation system called "irripod plus irrigation" and is available from a company at http://www.Kifco.com . I ordered some and had them shipped out to Western South Dakota where a friend of mine is setting a intensive grazing operation and needs some irrigation fast. The K-Line people sell there product out of farm supply stores and by people that know nothing about irrigation and then want to charge you a very heavty consulting fee once they deal with there factory rep. The irripod system is halft the price almost and I was able to deal with a irrigation expert the helped me out.

Running Arrow Bill, what kind of pumps do you use? How do you respond to a certain post in the line of post on this message board without having to send a private message?

Ray

hayray":3ssqc8ob said:
Thanks for the repies. I finally did find another irrigation supplier here in Michigan that found a towable pasture irrigation system called "irripod plus irrigation" and is available from a company at http://www.Kifco.com . I ordered some and had them shipped out to Western South Dakota where a friend of mine is setting a intensive grazing operation and needs some irrigation fast. The K-Line people sell there product out of farm supply stores and by people that know nothing about irrigation and then want to charge you a very heavty consulting fee once they deal with there factory rep. The irripod system is halft the price almost and I was able to deal with a irrigation expert the helped me out.

Running Arrow Bill, what kind of pumps do you use? How do you respond to a certain post in the line of post on this message board without having to send a private message?

Ray

Is this what you mean? If so, just click on "Quote" at the top of the relevant post and then type your reply at the very end of other's post.

The pump I use is our well pump (5HP at about 65' deep and get about 70 GPM). We do not have an "irrigation well" (very high volume well--several hundred GPM output).

Hayray,

Keep us posted on how this system works and holds up. I liked the Kline, and found their home office people very useful sending me satellite pics of our farm and what parts we would need. Very professional- don't know who you delt with. The Kline Georgia rep was indeed worthless, and I think he is now selling the product you are getting?

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I'm willing to consider your system once you can give us some feedback on durability, etc.

Thanks.

Billy

MrBilly":9jzl8npw said:
Hayray,

Keep us posted on how this system works and holds up. I liked the Kline, and found their home office people very useful sending me satellite pics of our farm and what parts we would need. Very professional- don't know who you delt with. The Kline Georgia rep was indeed worthless, and I think he is now selling the product you are getting?

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I'm willing to consider your system once you can give us some feedback on durability, etc.

Thanks.

Billy

I delt with a salesman at first in South Dakota who knew nothing about irrigation but priced it more than double what it was priced for in my home state of Michigan which is were I found that K-Line is actually head quartered, but they would not deal with selling material that would go to another dealers territory, and plus they are all in ca-hoots with each other and really don't like the idea of you putting together your own system as you want to. I have ordered 88 pods of the irripods system and will connect those into 8 - 11 pod lines that will be 600 feet long. We will pump water out of irrigation ditches used for flooding and not have to really have any manifold and feeder lines, which would cost thousands of dollars, by having pumps on a wagon and moving it down the irrigation ditchs and use drop flat hose to feed the pod lines. Springbrook irration in Holland,MI ordered the system for me and used there Terra Serva program in theri office to zoom right in on the acreages I am getting irrigated and they helped me with flow rates, sprinkler head pressures, and line sizes.

Ray

Hayray or MrBilly,

What would be a ballpark cost per pod for either the Kline or irripod system?

gberry":22binpa5 said:
Hayray or MrBilly,

What would be a ballpark cost per pod for either the Kline or irripod system?

The irripod ended being about $92 per pod. The K-Line distrubutor around here finally gave me a price of $75 a pod but they were really reluctant about selling you the parts to build your own system. The K-Line dealer in South Dakota were my friends ranch is wanted $250/pod (rip-off), so good thing to start checking out prices. Could not find any dealers for the Lepod system that is also around somewhere. You need to buy low density poly pipe, that can range around $.62 - $1.00/foot. All in all I think it cost around $1900 for line of 11 pods that will cover a length of 650 foot, I figured this could water 7 acres a week getting about a acre inch of water on. We are using pumps to pump out of irrigation ditches but putting the pumps on wagons so you can move them around and connect up the pods lines with flexible drop flat hose, because if you want to be shocked check out the prices of hose for main lines, either PVC, aluminum or poly pipe.

Ray

Ray

Hayray,

Keep us updated on how the system is working.

We also need to do this, our pastures are almost naked of grass with no rain in site. Like you, can't even find a Lepod dealer by doing an Internet search, the two Irripod reported dealers in GA. didn't have a clue what the system was all about. One said he will have them overnight him information and will come to the farm next week - I wonder if he will know what he is doing?

Kline told us yesterday that they didn't have a dealer here, but would work with anyone and sell us the parts for the system they designed for us ,from home bass , last year.

Billy

hayray":3qvpzhx2 said:

Ray

Well I have water out the ass but it is in the creeks, I am looking into the large pto driven h2o pumps, and putting a traveling sprinkler sytem together for the hay field.

Caustic Burno":48qjv6er said:
hayray":48qjv6er said:

Ray

Well I have water out the ass but it is in the creeks, I am looking into the large pto driven h2o pumps, and putting a traveling sprinkler sytem together for the hay field.

I was thinking about those traveling guns, did not know if they would work on un-even ground?

Ray

I received a quote yesterday from Kline distributor out of S.C. It came out to $75/pod. However for the turnkey system for 52 A of pasture and hay we are looking at about $65,000. All underground pipe, the pump and motors are being refigured after they saw the lake from which we pump, so the final price will be up or down bit. The system is designed to be able to operate 16 lines of pods simultaneouly and place one inch of water per week.

Wife spoke to a fellow in Durango, Colorado that has used all types of systems and has been most happy with Kline for the past three years. It is labor intensive to move 16 lines each day.

I thought these systems were supposed to be much cheaper than the gun system???? Had a quote on one of those , turnkey at $71,000.

Hayray, how is your system working???

Billy

I delt with a salesman at first in South Dakota who knew nothing about irrigation but priced it more than double what it was priced for in my home state of Michigan which is were I found that K-Line is actually head quartered, but they would not deal with selling material that would go to another dealers territory, and plus they are all in ca-hoots with each other and really don't like the idea of you putting together your own system as you want to. I have ordered 88 pods of the irripods system and will connect those into 8 - 11 pod lines that will be 600 feet long. We will pump water out of irrigation ditches used for flooding and not have to really have any manifold and feeder lines, which would cost thousands of dollars, by having pumps on a wagon and moving it down the irrigation ditchs and use drop flat hose to feed the pod lines. Springbrook irration in Holland,MI ordered the system for me and used there Terra Serva program in theri office to zoom right in on the acreages I am getting irrigated and they helped me with flow rates, sprinkler head pressures, and line sizes.

Ray
We just bought irripod for a big pasture. Many of the pods are leaking water. We took a couple apart. O rings are fine. Nothing looks wrong. Any suggestions?

Latest posts