Building fences made less difficult

Help Support CattleToday:

oreohaven

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, but here goes
Put up not quite two miles of 8ft game fencing using this little t-post pounder..My Father -in-law saw an ad for it in our Electric Co-op pub. Have used it on more than 500 t-posts and it has worked great every time. Only need a generator and a regular compressor (we used a little pancake compressor) . Had to replace a sleeve ($60) after the first 400 posts, but the replacement sleeve looks to be better made. I think the company was still fairly new when we got ours around 4 years ago. It is the only one I have seen that runs on a regular air compressor. Don't know much about their other models, we just have the smallest model. I do see that they have raised their prices, supply and demand I guess. http://www.rohrermfg.com/postdrivers.cfm

driver.jpg

We un ours off of a small gasoline powered compressor. They're pretty pricey but they sure make fencing a bunch easier. My SIL saw me driving posts with it and wanted to try it. Kind ofa Huck Fin deal. After a couple of posts I just dropped a post where I wanted them and he drove them and had a blast doing it.

dun

The post driver we have which is homemade out of a heavy steel pipe with a solid bottom never needs parts or fuel and never wears out.

8)

Salicylic":2dmzg6bl said:
The post driver we have which is homemade out of a heavy steel pipe with a solid bottom never needs parts or fuel and never wears out.

8)

I can buy a lot of post for the cost of that driver, looks neat send me one for a couple of years free trail.

we've got one of the homemade rigs too. works great in the sandy loam provided theres no stumps or old fence posts to jar into. But in the clay we have to bust out the auger and a bucket of water.

After pounding on a post with a heavy manual driver for 5 minutes and only getting it in a couple of inches, the powered driver made sense to me. If we had the soft stuff that you can pretty much just push posts in I wouldn;t need it. Drove a 1/4 mile of them by hand a coouple of years ago and it took a week to get so I could move again.
The "can do" just can;t keep up with the "want to" anymore.

dun

Beefy":1rd51cpt said:
Dad says its good for me.

He's right, it builds character. But I'm of such low character that driving posts by hand isn;t build enough to make any difference

dun

We have always used the front end loader - always did the work in early spring when the ground was moist. Worked real good

rgv":1yvhd82g said:
We have always used the front end loader - always did the work in early spring when the ground was moist. Worked real good

Show off. Must be nice to have soil in MO that you can actually put posts in

dun

rgv,

We do also..... and we found welding a small closed horse shoe on the bottom of the buchet keeps it from wanting to slide if the ground is hard and/or the angle is not just right. Also,150-200 # of sand in the back of the bucket seems to make it more solid and slips less.

Have to admit that driver looks like it eliminates a lot of pounding. Does anyone know if there is one which runs off the tractor hydraulics? Don't need another piece of equipment...air compressor...to tag along.

Sorry Dun -

I know - most of our ground is all bottom ground.
I always remember the guy who showed me the land.
His comment -

I'll pay ya $ 10.00 for every rock you can find cause -
- "Ain't a rock on the place"

No I won't be in Wright County - Good Luck

Y-alll have a great New Year.

preston39":5hqef00i said:
rgv,

We do also..... and we found welding a small closed horse shoe on the bottom of the buchet keeps it from wanting to slide if the ground is hard and/or the angle is not just right. Also,150-200 # of sand in the back of the bucket seems to make it more solid and slips less.

Have to admit that driver looks like it eliminates a lot of pounding. Does anyone know if there is one which runs off the tractor hydraulics? Don't need another piece of equipment...air compressor...to tag along.

I've seen hydraulic powered ones, and they'll drive pipe through granite if the pipe'll hold. I wish I could say what the brand or model was, 'cause I never got close enought to see. I was surveying on the same jobsite, and had to mark out some property lines for these fencers. They had one mounted on the bucket of a little Kubota tractor, and another that was part of a whole machine on rubber tracks. It's driver swung out on a hydraulic arm and had more parts and pieces than Joan Rivers.

preston39":pwao2g5w said:
Does anyone know if there is one which runs off the tractor hydraulics?
Here ya go, preston. Bet a sophisticated, up-to-date, world-traveler kind of guy like you that enjoys operating immobilizers and all that other fancy-schmancy real cattleman stuff could probably find a use for one of these big toys:

http://www.wikco.com/fencepost.html

Hope this helps, preston.

I want o have one of those! My brother just joined the army and so my mom and I are left allone with hand riving in wooden post for miles....

preston39":2zd34urf said:
rgv,

We even went as far as cutting a piece 2" pipe to the height that we wanted the tee posts, slipped the t-post inside and pushed it down with the front end loader, just stop pushing when you get to the pipe. Works great and makes every post the same height. :D :D

Texan":3osz3kso said:
preston39":3osz3kso said:
Does anyone know if there is one which runs off the tractor hydraulics?
Here ya go, preston. Bet a sophisticated, up-to-date, world-traveler kind of guy like you that enjoys operating immobilizers and all that other fancy-schmancy real cattleman stuff could probably find a use for one of these big toys:

http://www.wikco.com/fencepost.html

Hope this helps, preston.
=============
LOL Texan,
Some of you Texans always like to think big but.... rarely up to date....Ha..

The thread is speaking of metal post driving...not trying to dig a shallow oil well. There is a difference...so stick around and maybe we can give you some southern learning.

I'm tellin ya, I LOVE THIS WEBSITE!!!

We just bought 800 T-posts to put up some more fencing. All these city people buying the property around us are scared of the bull. sissies... anyway we have been driving these posts for 2 weeks now the old fashion way. Hubby is a welder by trade so he made his own driver. I am gonna have arms like the HULK. He says I pound posts like a girl!! Well YEAH.
Anyway I'm gonna try J's suggestion about the 2 inch pipe. You guys have the best ideas!!!

Latest posts