Buffalo

Help Support CattleToday:

tamarack

Reaction score
Was out checking cows this evening and saw something in my oat field it was a huge wood buffalo dusting in my oats. I phoned one of the buf ranchers in my area sure enough the were looking for a old bull they came over and after looking the situation over decided the safest thing was to butcher it on the spot I loaded it on the truck with my tractor and it was all the old 4430 would lift just finishing up now its midnight so I will post some pics another time.

Got back from fishing trip and have some time to kill tonight thought I would post pics of the big buff that was in my oat field next to my pb cows too bad they had to put him down but he has been a problem for a while and was missing for a week he had to cross a highway to get to my place so it was lucky no one ran into him and I was afraid he would spook my cows or injure my bull

skyhightree1":38ssc08u said:
Buffalo meat is my favorite ... I hope you got some to eat for your trouble.

Now we just got to get you to thunder through the herd on your pony shooting buffalo on the right and left with your bow and arrow.

On the serious side I spent a couple days helping work some buffalo years ago. It is not something I would want to do now. I don't run or climb near fast enough. Those fellas that were hunting them horseback with a homemade bow and arrow 150 years ago had some stones.

Dave":1rmnnj53 said:
skyhightree1":1rmnnj53 said:

Now we just got to get you to thunder through the herd on your pony shooting buffalo on the right and left with your bow and arrow.

On the serious side I spent a couple days helping work some buffalo years ago. It is not something I would want to do now. I don't run or climb near fast enough. Those fellas that were hunting them horseback with a homemade bow and arrow 150 years ago had some stones.

Technically they were sharpened and pointed too :mrgreen:

Jogeephus":1uivovaq said:
What does the meat in the hump look like when its cut up?
The fat on this one is more orange in color and the hump has more gristle and coarser than beef only good for hamburger imo. They had quite a time dispatching it as they shot it in head and with that much head and hair it is difficult for shot placement it didn't go far but took 5 shots at least.

That's a shame that he would not stay home. There is a vendor at our Farmers' Market who sells bison meat. They raise them. The meat sells for a premium. A 3 lb roast is about $45. Ground beef is $15 per lb. People line up to buy the meat.
It is interesting about how they kill them at the butcher. The guy has to shoot the bison in the back of the head (poll area). They can't use a captive bolt on them like a beef breed. It takes close to 3 years before they reach butcher size.

My neighbor has 12 or 14. They are just behind a 4 strand barbed wire fence. He just moved in this spring. I've been expecting them to get out, but they never have. I got called in to catch one a few years ago. It ended up an ugly scene. Those things aren't for the inexperienced.

Dave":1d9ts930 said:
skyhightree1":1d9ts930 said:

I think an empty stomach was there motivation. Amazing what you will do for food if you are hungry enough.

branguscowgirl":36mew5zl said:
Taurus":36mew5zl said:
branguscowgirl":36mew5zl said:
They are cool animals. You could have had some ultra lean "Beefalo"!
Or few dead cows!!!!
IDK Taurus. They are breeding them to something. They sell beefalo all the time!
Its usually a beef bull breeding bison cows, not the other way.

Somebody explained to me once the difference in a beefalo, and a bison hybred, and now I can't remember how it goes.

Bigfoot":34v2h5qb said:
Somebody explained to me once the difference in a beefalo, and a bison hybred, and now I can't remember how it goes.
A bison hybrid is usually high bison percentage 50% and over. Bison hybrid looks like more bison than a domestic cow. A beefalo is a 3/8 bison and 5/8 domesticated cattle. They looks like normal cattle.

I'm in Arkansas. I'm in the infant stages of cattle right now. I have the last remnants of my dad's heard. These where once Piedmontese and Saler crosses. My grandfather was going for 5/8 pied, 3/8 Saler. They where all registered animals and he was at the too of that game. Membership number one of PAUS. My father started with about 8 of those in the late 80's after Granddad died. He didn't register them. Just sold them at the local sale barn. Basically a hobby for him. Later on he got a few full blooded longhorns. One being the bull he ran for years. Now the cattle I have are longhorn, pied, Saler crosses.

What I am going to do is AI for beefalo. Fastest way to get back to registered animals and the lean beef cattle I have now with the buffalo cross should work out well. Right now I am using a bull that is mostly pied and Saler. The calves are. Coming out a rich red-brown. Should go well with the buffalo coloration. Should be able to sell the beefalo bulls for commercial herds and you have a waiting list for heifers! :cboy: