Buffalo

Help Support CattleToday:

wildcatkit52":1ur8egdi said:
I'm in Arkansas. I'm in the infant stages of cattle right now. I have the last remnants of my dad's heard. These where once Piedmontese and Saler crosses. My grandfather was going for 5/8 pied, 3/8 Saler. They where all registered animals and he was at the too of that game. Membership number one of PAUS. My father started with about 8 of those in the late 80's after Granddad died. He didn't register them. Just sold them at the local sale barn. Basically a hobby for him. Later on he got a few full blooded longhorns. One being the bull he ran for years. Now the cattle I have are longhorn, pied, Saler crosses.

What I am going to do is AI for beefalo. Fastest way to get back to registered animals and the lean beef cattle I have now with the buffalo cross should work out well. Right now I am using a bull that is mostly pied and Saler. The calves are. Coming out a rich red-brown. Should go well with the buffalo coloration. Should be able to sell the beefalo bulls for commercial herds and you have a waiting list for heifers! :cboy:
:shock: I think that it's terrible idea to sell them as commercial bulls, especially the part you mentioned that they have pied, salers and longhorns in them.

Saler, Longhorn, buffalo... Good luck keeping that thing home, and good luck if it gets mad!... don't know much about the Piedmontese temperament though, that's probably the docile 1/8th of it

Dave":8hj7azyy said:
skyhightree1":8hj7azyy said:
Buffalo meat is my favorite ... I hope you got some to eat for your trouble.

Now we just got to get you to thunder through the herd on your pony shooting buffalo on the right and left with your bow and arrow.

On the serious side I spent a couple days helping work some buffalo years ago. It is not something I would want to do now. I don't run or climb near fast enough. Those fellas that were hunting them horseback with a homemade bow and arrow 150 years ago had some stones.

lol funny no way will I ride one and darn sure wouldn't let go and try to shoot something :shock:

hillbilly beef man":8hj7azyy said:
Dave":8hj7azyy said:
skyhightree1":8hj7azyy said:
Buffalo meat is my favorite ... I hope you got some to eat for your trouble.

Now we just got to get you to thunder through the herd on your pony shooting buffalo on the right and left with your bow and arrow.

On the serious side I spent a couple days helping work some buffalo years ago. It is not something I would want to do now. I don't run or climb near fast enough. Those fellas that were hunting them horseback with a homemade bow and arrow 150 years ago had some stones.

I think an empty stomach was there motivation. Amazing what you will do for food if you are hungry enough.

I think you found my weakness hungry stomach in that case BBQ horse would be on the menu.

Nesikep":2y7dq97s said:
Saler, Longhorn, buffalo... Good luck keeping that thing home, and good luck if it gets mad!... don't know much about the Piedmontese temperament though, that's probably the docile 1/8th of it
Three niche breeds and one uncommon continental breed all in one animal....

Actually, the longhorns are the most docile. The absolute worst are the animals from a line of one cow... Red one that was mostly Saler with some pied in her. The ones in have now are pretty good animals. Good over all attributes from all those breeds with the bad being the coloration of the horns. Only one cow has that coloration now and her last calf was from a neighbors horn bull. He will be going to the sale soon. As to the bulls on commercial herds, that is coming from a Beefalo breeder here in AR that says he gets a lot of commercial herders buying his animals for terminal bulls so that they are born easily, gain cheaply, and put on weight easily. The only common problem is the variation in color. He is specifically selecting his animals for black, as in none hitting the ground that are black can be purchased from him.

Don't worry what RedBullBreeder says, he hates me for absolutely no reason at all and just wants to insulting me as usual. He's cranky old man.

I'm in Russellville area. Gumlog specifically. Why would it be an issue telling people that they have those breeds? What's your bias against them specifically? People who want to raise lean beef or eat lean beef wouldn't mind if they are eating Beefalo because it is better for them.

wildcatkit52":3dyl9sxa said:
I'm in Russellville area. Gumlog specifically. Why would it be an issue telling people that they have those breeds? What's your bias against them specifically? People who want to raise lean beef or eat lean beef wouldn't mind if they are eating Beefalo because it is better for them.
Why not just selling the lean beef directly to the people that wants to buy? Or privately selling the beefalo steers to these people. You will be more successful with that way than selling your bulls to the commercial operators or dropping them at sale barn.

Making these beefalo black is a waste of time. They will just tossed out in the feedlot with other feeder calves and they will just marked as CAB.

Wow, you are making a lot of assumptions aren't you? I didn't say anything about what my specific goals are. Never said a word about my animals and black. Never said a word about what my target market was...

I DID, however, ask you specifically what your bias is to the current breeding of my animals.

I think you could use some time with a grammar book and less time telling people what they should or shouldn't do. You can't even take the words in a persons post and determine their meaning properly...

To start with, I have to get from what I have to something. I've looked at several options... The best for me seems to be Beefalo and Pied crosses. Animals that I can sell by the trailer load when I am ready with a load. I like the idea of Beefalo, just not the complete randomness of the beef side in most herds. I will be going to a Pied bull first. Then maybe again pied. After that AI for Beefalo. If I had MONEY money, I'd just start from scratch for straight pied/buffalo blooded Beefalo. Beefalo seems to sell well to those looking for it. Pied also sells well to those marketing it. I'd like to have one copy myostatin Beefalo... (I think of that cross as Piedalo) Sound crazy? People thought my grandfather was years ahead of his time with his graising techniques and choice in breeds. How many Piedmontese are there in the states now? He had the first. Sadly he died of cancer before he should have. My uncle in CO still carries his life membership (#1)to PAUS. My father and uncle both said that back in the sixties he had looked at Beefalo. Didn't last long because of they died off due to the DNA testing issues. I want to be a small operation selling animals in a niche market. Start there and see where it goes. I pretty much have to start small anyway...

Latest posts