Buffalo

Help Support CattleToday:

Chech out the fencing that most buff places have, there has to be a reason.

M5farm":270rnipl said:
http://dothan.craigslist.org/grd/3752527321.html

I know this guy personally he is a throwback horse/mule trader and anything else with 4 legs. I bought 8 or 10 fainting goats from him one time
if he's a trader worth his salt,, i bet not a dam one of em fainted :lol2: plus he's missing a cowboy hat cocked to the side

ALACOWMAN":fs17taur said:
M5farm":fs17taur said:
http://dothan.craigslist.org/grd/3752527321.html

I know this guy personally he is a throwback horse/mule trader and anything else with 4 legs. I bought 8 or 10 fainting goats from him one time
if he's a trader worth his salt,, i bet not a dam one of em fainted :lol2: plus he's missing a cowboy hat cocked to the side
he has one (cowboy hat that is) he sold them to me as pygmy goats and when I got them home I had a dually with side bodys and they were getting on the tool box and jumping out of the truck and I started hollering at them and they started fainting. I soon learned that with piece of tin and a hammer I could catch them real easy. but only a horse trader would have a name like Cotton Sandy

ALACOWMAN":3il2pmbx said:
the buffalo ive seen around here, dont do well
The buffalo ranchers do well in Minnesota and the Dakotas and there are huge market for the buffalo meat....much better than the longhorns & highlands.

Taurus":4rvwcu0e said:
ALACOWMAN":4rvwcu0e said:
The buffalo ranchers do well in Minnesota and the Dakotas and there are huge market for the buffalo meat....much better than the longhorns & highlands.
i mean physically....they dont grow worth a dam .

dun":cnb7pod1 said:
Chech out the fencing that most buff places have, there has to be a reason.
That's what I've always been told as well... there isn't a fence built that will keep a buffalo in if it doesn't want to be!

Deepsouth":2jv775ly said:
What kind of bull you going to put on them? I believe I'd go with a charolais, you may get one of those white buffalo that the Indians say is sacred and have big medicine.
To be fair, that is best way to use a Charolais on the bison cows to produce marketable calves. Otherwise use any breeds on the bison cows and you will get few WTF responses from the customers. However if the buffalo cows are not raising with the cattle, they may not accept the bull. Best thing is buying buffalo calves and raising them with the cattle.

rowdyred":1w2lje8h said:
I am interested in getting 1 or 2 buffalo cows, what would be the cost, and where could I buy them?
weaned calfs normally sell in Nov., figure about a dime each. Best way I've found is get them young and put them in with a pet cow, goat, etc. the symbiotic relationship really helps. All my buffs will eat out of my hand now. A good field fence keeps them in just fine. Just remember they are twice as quick as any cow, and love to run just for the fun of it. Very quiet just a low grunt now and then. BTW cross with a cow = catalow/ 3/8 cow = beefalo. Think it works one way and not the other, bovine bull x buff cow not buff bull x cow. might be wrong on this. cheers.

ALACOWMAN":2qqutgva said:
Taurus":2qqutgva said:
ALACOWMAN":2qqutgva said:
i mean physically....they dont grow worth a dam .

You are right. You're talkin @450 hanging weight at 3 years of age. Not sure if grain or grass makes much difference since they are genetically programmed to not grow in winter. These high bison meat prices are the only reason there is any profit.

We have spent a long time making cattle a pleasurable eating experience, why mess with them. There is a reason it's all ground up or crock potted for 3 days to be edible.

Folks on the other side of town from me had about 30 to 35 head of bison. Their fence was 6' tall with several hot wires on the inside. Looked like Fort Knox. I guess they had issues keeping them in with regular woven wire fencing because the regular fence is still there. They just added the tall fence all the way around. The bison meat I have had in the past was nothing to write home about......now a grain fed buff might be a different story.

Had a friend of mine that rode bronc's and got beat by chris leduex at the national finals said they dared him to ride a buffalo onetime and he said the bull almost stripped him naked before he got off of him. Apparently they can scratch the top of their back with both back feet.

Land between the lakes has a buffalo sale once a year. It could be within driving distance of you. I have only been around two. One was a pet to a neighbor. He ate bread out of their kids hands. The other was shot with enough rompum to kill it twice, and never slowed down. It could jump 5 and half foot fences like a deer.

M5farm":2hwms5kk said:
Had a friend of mine that rode bronc's and got beat by chris leduex at the national finals said they dared him to ride a buffalo onetime and he said the bull almost stripped him naked before he got off of him. Apparently they can scratch the top of their back with both back feet.
saw a bull rider get hung up once.. down off the side, bull still bucking and with each kick backward, it shoved his jeans and drawers alway to his spurs. before the clowns got him loose
:lol:

Latest posts