Brown Gavy

Help Support CattleToday:

L.A.

Reaction score
I like beef gravy on mashed spuds. KFC is good, but the mixes I've tried arn't very tastey. Got any recipes you like?

I make what we call either cowboy gravy or some people call red eye gravy.
I usually make it with pan drippings from a slow roasted chuck or rump roast.Of course the roast had potatoes, onion and carrots roasted with it also. To the pan drippings that have cooled some. I add some bullion either cubed or crumbled, then some flour and some leftover coffee. Then I bring to a slow boil constantly stirring until it all is boiling as I stir it then remove from heat. As for portions it is usually about 1/2 cup pan drippings, enough bullion to mix with the left over coffee or water for a cup of liquid and probably about 2 1/2 hands full of flour. Salt and pepper to taste.

Experiment it will come to you with practice. It's fun even eating the mistakes on fresh biscuits or roasted potatoes. Good luck and happy eating!

Jalopy":3nnzd5r8 said:
I make what we call either cowboy gravy or some people call red eye gravy.
I usually make it with pan drippings from a slow roasted chuck or rump roast.Of course the roast had potatoes, onion and carrots roasted with it also. To the pan drippings that have cooled some. I add some bullion either cubed or crumbled, then some flour and some leftover coffee. Then I bring to a slow boil constantly stirring until it all is boiling as I stir it then remove from heat. As for portions it is usually about 1/2 cup pan drippings, enough bullion to mix with the left over coffee or water for a cup of liquid and probably about 2 1/2 hands full of flour. Salt and pepper to taste.

Experiment it will come to you with practice. It's fun even eating the mistakes on fresh biscuits or roasted potatoes. Good luck and happy eating!

That sounds good!

We normally make brown gravy only when frying meat. Fry the meat in butter or olive oil, when finished remove the meat. Add flour, water as necessary, salt and pepper to taste.

Quick, tasty, and matches the meat that you have cooked. Great on rice or potatoes.

If you're looking for brown gravy in a package, try the "Pioneer" brand. It's probably the best of them. Stay away from the generic French's and cheap brands. You're going to get what you pay for. Pioneer is probably close to the KFC that you like. (And KFC and all packaged gravy mixes are bland) :nod:

When I make a beef roast I pour off the juice into a measuring cup. I skim off the fat off of the top. Put it in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil. Depending upon on how much there is I might add a little water to stretch it.
I mix some corn starch and water together and pour it into the boiling juice. Whisk quickly or you will have lumps.
season to taste.
have a friend who will add a Browning sauce to hers. I tried it, but wasn't too crazy about it.

Before cooking a roast I will season and brown it in a heavy pot.
Put a little water and broth in the pot cook it down a few times- then at the end thicken it woth water of cornstarch.
That's good gravy to me.

Season the roast water with the dry package of french onion soup mix.... makes a very flavorful gravy.

Michele

Latest posts