Brood Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

lakading":3jpl7cyj said:
SEC":3jpl7cyj said:
Too bad there is a myth that if a cow is in good shape and the calf is too that it has to come from a feed pail. We are all trying to raise a cow that is easy doing and that does a good job raising calves.

Very true. But by looking at the picture of that cow, I would think that the stocking rates could be bumped up in that pasture and not hurt a thing.

The problem with bumping up the stocking rates is the drought years you end up having to get rid of a lot of good cows. Even with the poor year for stockpiling the cows are still grazing. I've put out a bale or two of hay but they prefer the stockpiled fescue to the hay most times.

dun

Coyote, is your hole in the ground close to Tennessee by any chance? That is a good looking pair of animals. I have been looking at the shorthorns to cross with as a possibility. I haven't been able to do much searching lately, but where do you purchase your outside stock and what Kind of lines are you getting with those shown?
Chuckie

My hole in the ground is in Saskatchewan.
We have been using mainly Canadian bulls that have some guts and thickness to them. We have tried the flavour of the day before (popular show bulls) and found that the offspring where to hard doing and they didn't last here.
We are using a son ( Muridale Buster) of the cow pictured and we are pleased with his offspring.

In the shortgrass country, some years you might be able to run more cows. On the dry years you are shipping cows elsewhere to find grass. Be good to the grass and it will be good to you. Droughts aren't a suprise around here.

The best fence is good grass!

Latest posts