Brood cow (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

simcross

Reaction score
Would any body keep this cow in the herd she is a five year old her udder looks like it is ready to have a wreck

cow.jpg

she'd go on udder alone, but she also has the appearance of a hard doer. Looks like she needs a bag of corn tied to her head to keep her in that flesh

It all depends on what kind of calf she raised. Even though she looks like she might only milk from two quarters I still might keep her if her calf grew out okay. She looks really good except for the udder. I definitely wouldn't keep any replacement heifers out of her due to the udder.

I have a BA cow that is much worse off than yours. Her bag almost drags the ground. She still throws and raises a good calf so I keep her around but watch the calf every year closely.

She wouldn't go on udder alone. I've seen lots of worse udders than this. Since she is 5 years old, I'm going to assume she has raised 4 calves. How did her previous calves turn out? What about her last calf? Tell us more about her.

This is not my cow but one that is for sale from a reg herd.
I think that in a year or two her two back quarters may be dragging the ground. In the past years i have saw several angus cows do this the simm cross cows seem to have better udders

FWIW, we bought a 10 year old cow this year with pretty much the same udder configuration. Don;t know the weight on her calf but it's the second youngest and one of the biggest, she had a BW of 65 pounds so obviously the old girl is doing a decent job. Bred her to a super udder improvement bull for next year. We're keeping her heifer from this year anyway.
When we got Granny, as a 7 year old her udder was well shaped but pendulas. As a 14 year old it hasn;t changed a bit. Still raises great calves and her daughters have very good udders, but we've bred a bit of milk out of them and they're sired by udder improvment bulls.

dun

Jake":p3pvevvr said:
she'd go on udder alone, but she also has the appearance of a hard doer. Looks like she needs a bag of corn tied to her head to keep her in that flesh

Jake, I'm pretty new at this game and have lots to learn. I read just about every post and always find them interesting and helpful (usually :) ) Can you explain what you see that indicates she may be a hard keeper?

TK":39228fuz said:
Jake":39228fuz said:

Jake, I'm pretty new at this game and have lots to learn. I read just about every post and always find them interesting and helpful (usually :) ) Can you explain what you see that indicates she may be a hard keeper?

Sickle @$$, lack of definition of muscling for the flesh she is in implying overfeeding. BUT the largest thing I will say is that the general appearance of her while I do not claim to be able to tell everything about her from one picture is that she's lacking thickness and needs a feed bag shoved in from of her especially for the apparent frame she has.

To me, it all depends on what kind of calf she has raised. I am guessing she raises a real good calf. If I owned her and she raised a great calf, I would keep her. If she raises an ordinary calf, I would let that udder dry up and get her in the 3rd stage and she should bring 1100-1200 at an auction as a 5 year old. Since you are looking at buying her, if you can get her at a bargain, say 750 for second stage, I would buy her. If she isnt a bargain price, I would pass

i probably wouldnt buy her but if i had her i'd let her stick around if she was getting the job done. she would make an ok commercial cow but i wouldnt want her in a purebred herd. ive seen/have cows with a worse udder.. i doubt her udder will drag the ground like a holstein with a blown out suspensory ligament or anything.

Gotta agree with Jake. If she raises a good calf, what are the return profits. If it cost a lot to maintain her, the profit from the calf will go down. The udders are enough for me to cull her as well. A five year old in this condition will continue to decline as she ages.

Keep in mind that a bad case of mastitis can make a mess of a cow's udder. The question you ought to ask is if she looked like this when she first calved. She might have had a really nice bag for her first calf - in which case, while you might cull her based on her udder, there's no reason not to keep her heifer calves.

If she's five years old, had three calves, and her udder is that size - I doubt it's going to be dragging on the ground or even close anytime soon.

milkmaid":2tfw28uv said:
Keep in mind that a bad case of mastitis can make a mess of a cow's udder. The question you ought to ask is if she looked like this when she first calved. She might have had a really nice bag for her first calf - in which case, while you might cull her based on her udder, there's no reason not to keep her heifer calves.

If she's five years old, had three calves, and her udder is that size - I doubt it's going to be dragging on the ground or even close anytime soon.

Mastitus or not you cannot assume in an animal that your purchasing or thinking on using for a brood cow that she won't pass on that type of udder. Just because the udder isn't hanging on the ground doesn't mean that it's not a crappy udder. SHE IS NOT brood cow quality simply because of udder quality. But her appearance of a possible hard keeper gives her 3 strikes she's out. Yes she started with one strike because she was a purchased replacement that you can never be 100% sure of how she shall perform. If a boughten cow gets two strikes it is often times they are her fifth strikes because of the previous owner and there is NO reason for a 5 year old cow to have 2 strikes on her. Some may disagree but if your trying to bring in a brood cow that is going to IMPROVE YOUR HERD you have to be overly strict so to not compromise the quality of animals you already have. If your compromising anything with improvement you are no long improving!

Latest posts