Bronco Skip

Help Support CattleToday:

This worked for me..the barn is not a good place to go. If you go there,he should be tied so that his head can't rest..can't get it to his knees--the saddle stays cinched--no feed-no water- 15/20 min -get back on,ride him off..stop at a random place,while he's going good,git off,loosen cinch,reset saddle.. go home at a walk tie him up uncomfortably,then let him out after standing another 15/20 min..Hopefully,he will think of going to the barn as not fun,not a place to get you off his back,which is pretty much the goal .. :lol:

KMacGinley":2hxos34q said:
Think you should check out Dennis Reis on RFD :)

So what does Dennis recommend? That I get off an kiss him each time he acts up? :lol: :lol:

Just kidding don't take it personal. Really though what would he recommend?

thats one reason i work a youngn hard in the round pen. then take em out for a pasture ride at a walk. if i had one barn sour one thing i would do is lope him in tight circles at the barn then take on a normal ride in the pasture make being at the barn hard work on him. but i would knock the edge off him before i took him out till you get him were your comfortable. his crow hops could turn to bone jarring

ALACOWMAN":261tqsh5 said:
thats one reason i work a youngn hard in the round pen. then take em out for a pasture ride at a walk. if i had one barn sour one thing i would do is lope him in tight circles at the barn then take on a normal ride in the pasture make being at the barn hard work on him. but i would knock the edge off him before i took him out till you get him were your comfortable. his crow hops could turn to bone jarring

Thanks, I think I will do just that for awhile because these old bones don't need to meet the ground anymore. Did enough of that when I was younger.

I worked him pretty hard in the pen on Sat and it didn't seem do much good. Sunday I just took him out and after the first round bucking he did pretty well. He is responding to heel pressure now where before he would just put his ears back and resist. I might just take him out with no warm up next time to see how he acts. He seemed to get my point the last time out. He just started to go barn sour Sunday but after he got the stick on both ends he did everything I asked.

I broke a mare from bucking 15 years ago by whopping her between the ears with a crop. Didn't like doing that though.
I have been watching Reis lately and what he does with the horses makes a lot of sense. He gets them to bend, so that if they act up, he pulls their head to the side and flexs them. It is hard to buck if you are bent in a U. I have tried this and it works pretty darn good and does not have the side effect of making them head shy. If you get RFD, he is on at 8 or 9 o'clock.

KMacGinley":631loke1 said:
I broke a mare from bucking 15 years ago by whopping her between the ears with a crop. Didn't like doing that though.
I have been watching Reis lately and what he does with the horses makes a lot of sense. He gets them to bend, so that if they act up, he pulls their head to the side and flexs them. It is hard to buck if you are bent in a U. I have tried this and it works pretty darn good and does not have the side effect of making them head shy. If you get RFD, he is on at 8 or 9 o'clock.

Can't say I have ever seen any of his stuff. I understand the flexing stuff it's just this boy didn't go buck until he was moving from one gait to the next most times. I am anxious to get back on him and see if he just needed a good attitude adjustment or not. Might be the weekend before I get enough daylight to try him again. I truely hope he is all better. I really don't like to use those methods but nothing else seemed to be helping.

sounds like he needs what a lot of horse's encluding mine....wet blankets that does more for the attitude than any thing all the bending and flexing in the world dont work as well as time in the saddle

Sorry, I left out that it was 8 or 9 on Monday nights. The guy takes problem horses and fixes them up. This week he worked on two horses that do exactly that, buck going from trot to canter. He worked with them on the ground first and then got on them. No problem after that, at least during the show. That riding the heck out of them doesn't hurt anything either though. :)

If he continues to buck and crow hop eveytime you get on him fresh you might try what we've had to do with a few down thru the years.

Take him to the round pen saddled and put the loop of a lariet rope around his flank. Stand in the middle of the pen with him on the rail and pull the rope tight. If he's going to buck he'll dern sure do it then. Keep it as tight as you can until he quit and then release the pressure. Give him a few minutes to breath and then do it again. Keep it up until he doesn't want to buck anymore and step up. The last one we had to do this to bucked three times the first day, twice the second and never offered to try again. That was no pup and would have made an above average bareback horse (not big enough to be a saddle bronc).

My partner now uses him as his mount of choice for most of the clinics he produces. He's also competing in Ranch Verstility and team penning on him.Z

MillIronQH":2o4mgch8 said:
If he continues to buck and crow hop eveytime you get on him fresh you might try what we've had to do with a few down thru the years.

Take him to the round pen saddled and put the loop of a lariet rope around his flank. Stand in the middle of the pen with him on the rail and pull the rope tight. If he's going to buck he'll dern sure do it then. Keep it as tight as you can until he quit and then release the pressure. Give him a few minutes to breath and then do it again. Keep it up until he doesn't want to buck anymore and step up. The last one we had to do this to bucked three times the first day, twice the second and never offered to try again. That was no pup and would have made an above average bareback horse (not big enough to be a saddle bronc).

My partner now uses him as his mount of choice for most of the clinics he produces. He's also competing in Ranch Verstility and team penning on him.Z

Oh boy, now that sounds like something that might take the fight out of him. I will give him another cold ride and see what he does. If he acts up I will sure give it a try.

You know my dad always told me I had to ride the buck out of them but I was a kid then and falling off which I didn't do too often meant much less to me then than now. :lol:

Old trainers trick... The hondo on a nylon rope will not always release pressure as fast as you'd like it to. Even with a leather or rawhide burner. My partner has a rope with a Buck Branamann metal hondo in it. I'm not that fancy. I took a 1 1/2" brass ring and a "rubber band" cut out of a riding lawn mower inner tube and got the same results. Cut the band about 1 1/2" wide. Stick thru the ring and then back thru itself. Wrap it thru the hondo tightly as many times as you can and back over the ring. I used the oldest raggiest rope I had.

Cost; Buck Branamann rope with hondo $40.00. My way $1.50 toe ring. The used inner tube was free at the local lawn mower repair shop.Z

Thanks for the info MillIron..................I am supposed to be gone for a week so I will report the results the week after next.

Well, after last weekends ride I thought maybe I had rode the buck out of him as last Sunday he just bucked the one time. Well this weekend I put in the round pen for just a few minutes with the saddle and worked him a little. He finally started to hook up to me. I thought, ok I have his attention so I got on him and rode him into the pasture. Rode him around at a walk for 20 minutes or so and then got him up to speed. He doesn't resist picking up speed near as much as he used to. I got him into a canter and he would want to slow and I would give him a little heel and he would pick it up again. I did this twice. I had my girlfriend with a video camera filming it. On the third try he took off ok and went about 30 yards and went rodeo on me. Up, down, stop, up, down, turn left, up, around. Well you get the picture. I was not expect this because he had done so well on the first two tires. He got me off to the right on his spinning left buck so I just baled. I didn't really have much choice as all I had in my hands were the reins. Fortunately I was ok with my landing. He continued to buck for a few seconds and then headed for the barn. I caught him with no trouble and got back on. I took him into a canter two more times with no bucking. I then took him back to the round pen for some more exercise.

I had described what I thought had happened but when I watched the tape I said "I should not have come off of that". I then played it in slow motion and what a difference that made. I could see exactly what I had described before seeing the tape. I think this boy would have made a real good rodeo bronc. He gets all four off of the ground, turns into a "C", gets his head going one direction and the rear end the other. Watching the tape after he dumped me, I could see him get all four feet three feet off of the ground come down and twist and sling his rear another direction. He knows how to do it well.

MillIronQH had mentioned the rope around the flanks and I hope to try that soon. My round pen I think is too small so I hope I can put him on a long lounge line in the pasture and the rope on the flanks. This should give me more room to maneuver hopefully.

Oh, in the video I was able to see the saddle separate 3-4 inches from his back while I was still in the seat. I had the rear girth touching his belly but not too snug. I didn't expect to see that much separation but I guess with him stretching out when he goes up and maybe it can get that much slack. Amazing what a video can show. In slow-mo it was just as I remembered.

I'm just not too sure what is up with this boy when one time he is just fine and the next he is a champion bronc. Maybe I need to tie his head up so he can't get it down to get started.

Suggestions?

flaboy+":28x175i0 said:
Well, after last weekends ride I thought maybe I had rode the buck out of him as last Sunday he just bucked the one time. Well this weekend I put in the round pen for just a few minutes with the saddle and worked him a little. He finally started to hook up to me. I thought, ok I have his attention so I got on him and rode him into the pasture. Rode him around at a walk for 20 minutes or so and then got him up to speed. He doesn't resist picking up speed near as much as he used to. I got him into a canter and he would want to slow and I would give him a little heel and he would pick it up again. I did this twice. I had my girlfriend with a video camera filming it. On the third try he took off ok and went about 30 yards and went rodeo on me. Up, down, stop, up, down, turn left, up, around. Well you get the picture. I was not expect this because he had done so well on the first two tires. He got me off to the right on his spinning left buck so I just baled. I didn't really have much choice as all I had in my hands were the reins. Fortunately I was ok with my landing. He continued to buck for a few seconds and then headed for the barn. I caught him with no trouble and got back on. I took him into a canter two more times with no bucking. I then took him back to the round pen for some more exercise.

I had described what I thought had happened but when I watched the tape I said "I should not have come off of that". I then played it in slow motion and what a difference that made. I could see exactly what I had described before seeing the tape. I think this boy would have made a real good rodeo bronc. He gets all four off of the ground, turns into a "C", gets his head going one direction and the rear end the other. Watching the tape after he dumped me, I could see him get all four feet three feet off of the ground come down and twist and sling his rear another direction. He knows how to do it well.

MillIronQH had mentioned the rope around the flanks and I hope to try that soon. My round pen I think is too small so I hope I can put him on a long lounge line in the pasture and the rope on the flanks. This should give me more room to maneuver hopefully.

Oh, in the video I was able to see the saddle separate 3-4 inches from his back while I was still in the seat. I had the rear girth touching his belly but not too snug. I didn't expect to see that much separation but I guess with him stretching out when he goes up and maybe it can get that much slack. Amazing what a video can show. In slow-mo it was just as I remembered.

I'm just not too sure what is up with this boy when one time he is just fine and the next he is a champion bronc. Maybe I need to tie his head up so he can't get it down to get started.

Suggestions?

I know zip about training a horse. My grandfather was in the horse cavalry in WWI...he was an excellent horseman. That said, the horses I learned to ride on were the ones that he would get from old horse traders. He could ride and handle all of them and pronounce them fit for us to ride...whereupon they would immediately try to kill us. Yeah, it taught us to ride anyting, but as time went on, the pleasure sure went out of it. This horse of yours sounds like the progeny of several of the horses we had as kids. All I can say is your determination is commendable.

Suggestions? Be safe, Flaboy. There's no dishonor in retreat.

Alice :)

How big is your round pen? Around here we all pretty much use 40 foot pens and have plenty of room. You can do it in a 30'pen but it kind be hard on the colts joints.

To bad you're not around here. I have about 7000 acres of so Texas brush country to train in. I may have to travel 60 miles to get there but a day in that country is worth a month in the arena.Z

MillIronQH, my round pen is about 33 feet. I plan to expand it after I get some stumps ground. I work him in there now but not for too long due to it being so small. I was more concerned about putting him in buck mode and having him get tangled in the panels. My sides are not solid.

I plan to try the flank rope on him on a lounge line. Might be safer for both of us. I think I can keep him in check. I plan to try it first chance I get.

Just watch out for him trying to turn and come to you with you holding and pulling the lounge line. You might want to think about hobbling your stirrups to. Just don't forget to untie them before you step up. :oops: Z

Check the vidio--bet he caught you not paying attention..I'm thinking he'll never be a trustworthy horse. He'll do to ride with undivided attention,but will always be looking to unload you if your thoughts wander off to that cow over there..Life's too short to waste time on a bad one....

Flaboy, sounds like this guy is giving you a rough time. And I wonder if there might be a little history playing out here, from before you had him. Something is triggering it. No tooth problems, saddle doesn't hurt him? All of my previous horse experience is with hunters (and all a LONG time ago); however, after watching some of these mule-starting tapes that Robert bought to help him with our big donkey, it occurs to me that you may have to start from scratch with this horse...ground work from step one (no matter how tempting it might be to get on him and try cantering once again outside) working in the round pen on getting his attention, working on his transitions, stop to walk, walk to jog, back to walk...getting him to focus on you...and it may take quite a while. I think you've given him a fair chance to behave like a gentleman, but I also think if this crazy bucking behavior keeps up, it's going to be dangerous (to you) and a habit (on his part). And we sure want you in good condition for Crowder's Campaign Train!!!! How's the other one doing, the "Idiot"???