brome

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
Is brome easy to grow, can you plant it with other grasses? We are thinking of re planting several of our fields in fall, looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

GMN

GMN":2cvf6ny3 said:
Is brome easy to grow, can you plant it with other grasses? We are thinking of re planting several of our fields in fall, looking for some suggestions.

Thanks

GMN

Brome is about like OG and you typically only get one cutting. Doesn;t regrow as well as either OG or fescue. That may be a climate thing since in theory OG doesn;t regrow well either.

dun

dun":r8jnthcp said:
GMN":r8jnthcp said:

Thanks

GMN

That may be a climate thing since in theory OG doesn;t regrow well either.

dun

Well, in this climate - unless the brome is irrigated - one cutting is it, generally speaking.

GMN, most of our place is a mixture of brome, various types of Wheatgrass, Sweet Clover, and a little bit of Orchard Grass and Alfalfa. I haven't noticed the brome choking out the other grasses, or vice versa, so I would say that it can be planted with other grasses. I don't know where your located or what your set-up is, but be aware that cattle don't like Brome (or Orchard Grass for that matter) when it becomes coarse, and many times they will refuse to eat it. That may not be relevant in your case, but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.

Where I am, brome is nearly impossible to keep. It is hard to get a stand, but if you do, you can keep it by cutting it once per year and not pasturing it. Our droughts and heat will kill it out in a hurry if it is pastured at the wrong time. It also wont produce as much as orchard grass or fescue, but is much higher in protein. So, in order to keep it, you have to settle for a small amount of production compared to other grasses

stocky":3dimzz3l said:
Where I am, brome is nearly impossible to keep. It is hard to get a stand, but if you do, you can keep it by cutting it once per year and not pasturing it. Our droughts and heat will kill it out in a hurry if it is pastured at the wrong time. It also wont produce as much as orchard grass or fescue, but is much higher in protein. So, in order to keep it, you have to settle for a small amount of production compared to other grasses

Good to know. I had talked with a gentleman who was selling brome, and brome/mix, he said it was comparable to alfalfa, sounds like it isn't really. Not sure if this is something we should try. Maybe planting it with another grass on bottom land would work. Is it expensive for the seed?

GMN

Yields for hay are not the same as yields for grazing. Rest periods needed and regrowth rate vary alot. Brome is OK in a hay mix but it is not one of your best grazing grasses.

With cheap N you can plant (sod forming) brome with a (bunch) grass, spray it for weeds, and throw on the fertilizer. A lower cost approach is to plant clover or alfalfa with meadow fescue or tall fescue or reed canary.

My latest magic mix is alfalfa and a little white clover with meadow fescue and festolium and a little brome...

Stocker Steve":2luoejuz said:
Yields for hay are not the same as yields for grazing. Rest periods needed and regrowth rate vary alot. Brome is OK in a hay mix but it is not one of your best grazing grasses.

With cheap N you can plant (sod forming) brome with a (bunch) grass, spray it for weeds, and throw on the fertilizer. A lower cost approach is to plant clover or alfalfa with meadow fescue or tall fescue or reed canary.

My latest magic mix is alfalfa and a little white clover with meadow fescue and festolium and a little brome...

What is festolium? If you plant alfalfa with other grasses, do you need to spray it for bugs? We had thought about planting alfalfa with something, on this patch on our bottom, it stays wetter than the rest of the bottom, do you think this might work?

GMN

We do not spray for bugs. You may want to check with a neighbor is see if there is a local issue.

Alfalfa has deep tap roots and rots in wet soil. Red clover is a better choice in that case.

Latest posts