brome on shares with land lord

Help Support CattleToday:

EATANGUS

Reaction score
I am wondering what to pay land Lord for putting up Brome hay or alfalfa. What's common shares or cash rent. And going rate. I'm from Kansas

Well no one is answering your question, so I will kick it off maybe others will join. In our area baling on shares , the baler gets 2/3 landlord 1/3 of the hay. A lot depends on how involved the landlord wants to be in expenses, also how many cuttings you get and how many bales per acre, I think each property and region of the country would be calculated differently to determine an answer, Also are you baling to sell hay for profit or for your own use.

Growing up a sharecropper, the landlord got 1/3 of the gross proceeds, Dad got 2/3. If those proceeds were not up the potential of the land, you'd find yourself off the land.

60/40 is pretty typical in Kansas with landlord paying no expenses on most hay ground. If there is a fertilizer bill then that should be split 60/40 as well.

If I was baling for my own own use, I would manage the field in a way to produce more hay and higher protein hay, by applying the required fertilizer.
If the landlord was wanting a share of the hay , it would be 1/3 landlord , 2/3 baler split with equal split on fertilizer cost.
If the landlord wanted a cash lease , I would offer him a per bale cash lease starting with minimum of $10 per bale lease.

Just struck a deal today with neighbor on 30 acres. He wanted 50/50. I countered with 60/40. He took it. He does lime and fertilizer. I mow and bale. Both pretty happy.

Latest posts