Broke my hay spear......Help!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Couldn't get one off the shelf. Ordered one today. 4th probably has ups off a day or 2. Hopefully here by Friday.

Farm Fence Solutions":2dfffew1 said:
I've got two spares. You're welcome to one of them if you don't mind the 5 hour round trip.

I'm so anal about killing the grass under a hay roll, I have ran around the field and moved every bale a few feet. Probably could have made the 5 hour trip easier.

Tbrake":3f8e8dmy said:
Next time put a liberal amount of "never sease" on it. That's probably not spelled right. Works like a charm. Before we had the skid loader, we had a bale spear that also was pallet forks. So we were always changing back and fourth. Made it easy
Good advice......Its called Anti-Sieze

Banjo":2vwl4tqv said:
Tbrake":2vwl4tqv said:
Next time put a liberal amount of "never sease" on it. That's probably not spelled right. Works like a charm. Before we had the skid loader, we had a bale spear that also was pallet forks. So we were always changing back and fourth. Made it easy
And if you are real cheap, milk of magnesia works too.
Don;t throw the broken one away. You may be surprised at what you can repurpose it for. When we bought this farm there was a half dozen all bent and mangled high spikes in a pile. I have managed to reuse them or parts of them for a bunch of things. Don;t have any left and it breaks my heart to have to buy metal that the damaged spike could be used for.

M-5":32am3md8 said:
Do you not have a hay fork for back of tractor?

Yes. I move the hay to the hay barn on trailers 12 at a time. I need the loader to load trailer, as well as put it in the barn. Lay of the land here dictates much of what you do. If I move them all with the tractors, I will have roads in the passable areas.

Banjo":3tym2vh2 said:
Tbrake":3tym2vh2 said:

Seize. I before E, except after C. Weird, isn't it? :lol:

Farm Fence Solutions":2de5qjui said:
Banjo":2de5qjui said:
Tbrake":2de5qjui said:

Use the copper stuff not the grey

Farm Fence Solutions":dznu5u7z said:
Banjo":dznu5u7z said:
Tbrake":dznu5u7z said:

I stand corrected.... :bang:

https://www.permatex.com/products/lubri ... bricant-2/

The problem is the nut via vibration back off and loosens the spear.
When the nut is tight in the sleeve all the pressure abd weight is in the meaty part of the spear.
When it gets loose it slides out of the sleeve and the pressure and weight is on the tapered down part on the threads.

I'd use a lock nut or loctite so it didn't come loose

How heavy are these bales that are breaking spears? I weighed some of my baleage bales last week and it was around 1800 lbs.

I used to break the china/india ones when handling baleage (1800-2000lbs bales) and either bouncing through the field or trying to dig them out of 6 feet of frozen and crusted in snow.

Since buying the Made in Germany ones I haven't broke a single one. Last winter I got stuck in the snow and pushed the front spears in the ground and used them to push my 19,000 lbs loader tractor backwards and didn't break one surprisingly.

Latest posts