Broadheads

Help Support CattleToday:

AngusLimoX

Reaction score
Well archery folks - that time of year is fast approaching!

I had a pretty bad experience on a deer with Spitfire's last year so mechanicals are out, and I am leaning towards a 3 blade. I shoot 100 grains.

Looking at several different models.

Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

ALX

I've had bad experiences with mechanicals too. I switched to magnus stinger broadheads. I like any broadhead that is cut on contact. I feel they penetrate better than any other type. As far as three blade broadheads I would possibly go with Muzzy broadheads. I've never used em' but I've heard a lot of good about em'. Thats my two cents.

Alx I have used Muzzy for years have had no proublem's i use a four blade 90 gr they fly true and hit hard

sewall i tryed wasp one time dident like them.

rattler

Montec G5's are a pretty good broadhead-you can shoot them through a black bears shoulder if you have to-one piece so no blades to mess with.

Thanks everyone!

I see a warning at the bottom of some of the order pages saying to check state laws before using expanding broadheads - are they illegal in some states?

Anyone getting any planing or weird arrow flight with the 4 blades, thats why I was leaning towards 3 blade.

ALX

ALX I tryed both 3 blade and 4 blade i diden't have any trouble with either.What kind of bow are you useing?I shoot a parker.

rattler

rattler":em8h2m5k said:
ALX I tryed both 3 blade and 4 blade i diden't have any trouble with either.What kind of bow are you useing?I shoot a parker.

rattler

Thanx rattler. My bow is a "knock off" of a PSE I believe.
It is set at 68lbs. Just a peep and pins sights, but it is accurate. I have put field points right up the shaft of the previous arrow a number of times at 30 yards.That got too expensive so now I put little happy face stickers :D on a piece of cardboard and shoot at them.

Going to the sports shop next week, I just may get me a set of both 3 and 4 blades, see which my bow shoots better.

Thx again.
ALX

I am a total tradtional bowyer and still hunt with two sticks and a string. I prefer the two blade Zwickeys over them all.
Working on long bow right now don't thing it will be finished in time for this season.

ALX Your welcome i have owned a couple of PSE bow's on old nova along time ago and a mach flite 4 and a baby g all really good bow's finaly went with the parker single cam bow with 80%let off it is set at 62lb's it dose a good job.I use a peep with a large hole and fiber optic pin's.Camp year's ago i shoot a recurve have thought about trying a long bow don't know if my elbow's would hold up now thou.

rattler

Campground Cattle":7gmfuzxo said:
I am a total tradtional bowyer and still hunt with two sticks and a string. I prefer the two blade Zwickeys over them all.
Working on long bow right now don't thing it will be finished in time for this season.

There was just an article in our farm paper about a guy who raises hogs up here Steve Thomson, a boyer as well. He and his teacher Jaap Koppedreyer apparently made the Yumi bows for "The Last Samurai ". Here's one of the links.

http://www.bowsforpros.com/

Although I find it very interesting I barely have time to properly keep my regular archery skills sharp. Maybe when I sell the cattle I can do some traditional archery! :lol:

ALX

Not sure if you have bought your broadheads yet but I have shot 3 blade 100gr Muzzy's with great results. I tried mechanicals for one season and went back to fixed blade. I was shooting 75gr wasp Jackhammers and killed a Pope and Young Mule deer and a pig with them. On a perfect broadside shot on the deer the arrow did not pass compleatley through but the deer went down with in 15 yards and split the heart like a melon. The pig took a broadside shot arrow exited the off side sliced the elbow on the front leg and he went about 20 yards. Had those been a not so perfect shot I think the blades would have failed. With the Muzzy I have had nothing but pass throughs and quick kills and the Muzzy flys great. Unless your hunting Elk, bear or larger 90-100grs is more than enough for deer etc.

Well I went and bought 3 of each the Muzzy "Phantom" and the Montec G-5'.

Haven't shot them yet but looking forward to it.

Thanks for all the help and will let you know.

2 weeks to opening! :lol: :D

has anyone used the Hell Razor's , I think I am gonna get them or the G5 Montec. They are both Sharpenable and one piece.

allenfarms":1xy3mm56 said:
has anyone used the be nice Razor's , I think I am gonna get them or the G5 Montec. They are both Sharpenable and one piece.

They look almost the same, haven't shot my Montecs yet, maybe tommorrow.

I have shot the Muzzy Phantoms, they are very consistent but 4" left of field point impact??

Latest posts