Favorite Bow Broadheads / crossbow vs compound or longbows

Help Support CattleToday:

Booneville":ref2o689 said:
Hoss, have you checked out the rage broadheads? They just came out with one that has a chizzle tip called the sergical or something like that. My best friend who hunts with me every year uses them and has for the last 3 years and we've never lost a deer. The blades even without deployment are 1-1/4" cut thought.

The QAD Heads I shoot aren't anything special but they do the trick and last season I shot a beautiful 9 pt. and I hit him in the shoulder and we recovered him. It was not my best moment and I will admit i almost cried when the arrow struck him because I knew we would be tracking him for ever if we even found him.

Also, I don't know about anyone else but I'm switching several things on my next bow. I want simple even though I'm going to be shooting the Duel cam Monster MR5. I'm going to a whisker buiscut, fixed broad heads and a regular sight (no single pin or floating pin).

Boone, I haven't looked closely at them. With a 1-1/4" cut without blade deployment it would have to be less risk than the ones that have no cutting surface when not deployed. On the down side, however, as with any expandable penetration is reduced over a fixed head. I look at it this way......an expandable opens upon impact to over 2" at a steep blade angle. This causes massive shedding of arrow energy immediately on deployment. Sort of like a hollow point bullet does. Since an arrow kills by hemorrhage instead of shock you don't get the benefits of it like a hollow point bullet does. An arrow with a fixed head doesn't have that massive energy die off from massive 2+" blades opening up thereby more penetration is achieved. I know expandables cause a huge hole but for me the 2 holes created by a complete pass-through are better than 1 big hole on the entry side. I have shot completely through both shoulders of whitetail deer with the Muzzy heads. It sounded like I hit a slab of oak but the arrow passed completely through. The buck went down immediately.....no blood trailing needed.
Here are some Muzzy shoulder hit bucks that I have taken.

This one exited behind the shoulder on the off side.

This buck took it through both shoulders. Down in his tracks.
Entry wound.

Exit wound

Nice bucks Hoss. I've shot Muzzy's for years with better success than expandables. Don't bow hunt much anymore due to young kids but I like my Parker bow awful well.

I have an original Stryker Crossbow (405fps) I've hunted with for a few years in CA. Don't remember the expandable I use. But it has never failed to deploy.

I just moved to oregon recently and they don't allow any hunting with a crossbow. Nothing in bow or rifle season. Anything that requires a license to shoot is illegal to take with a Xbow. But they tell me I can hunt coyotes with it.

Two shoulder surgeries in each shoulder with little cartilage left. Not pulling them back anymore.

Latest posts