Brisket Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I just had a cow that calved 3 weeks ago die last night I guess was dead this am and vet came out and autopopsy said it was brisket disease anyone else had any loss from that?

skyhightree1":26f9m7gp said:
I just had a cow that calved 3 weeks ago die last night I guess was dead this am and vet came out and autopopsy said it was brisket disease anyone else had any loss from that?

Yes, but I have heard it referred more as Pulmonary hypertensive heart disease. Here is.a good link from Merck.

http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp ... /11400.htm

High-mountain disease or brisket disease is noninfectious, congestive heart failure (CHF) of cattle. It is primarily caused by pulmonary hypertension associated with high altitudes. The disease affects cattle in mountainous ranges of the world and is seen most commonly at elevations above 2,000 m (~6,500 ft) in the western USA, western Canada, and South America. Rarely, similar lesions have been described in severely stressed and parasitized sheep and deer. Etiologically similar hypoxia-related heart failure has also been described in chickens in the Andes mountains and humans living at extreme elevations. The incidence in cattle on high mountain pastures averages ~2% with variations from 0.5-5%. Though closely associated with altitude, other genetic, physiologic, environmental, and toxic factors play important roles in disease development and progression. Newly introduced cattle tend to be more susceptible than native cattle. Clinical signs and lesions generally take about 2 mo to become obvious. In those areas in North America where cattle spend summer and fall grazing at high altitudes and return to lower elevations later in the fall, the disease is usually manifest in late summer. In areas where cattle live year round at high altitudes, the disease incidence is greatest in winter or early spring. This may be due to the stress of winter weather and late pregnancy. It affects all sexes, ages, and breeds, but not necessarily equally. It is more common, for instance, in steers <1 yr old.

skyhightree1":2bfi0mk6 said:

Brisket in Virginia? :? How high is your elevation? Did the cow have any of the Angus bull "Traveler 6807" in her pedigree? There's a feed lot brisket that happens at lower elevations but I think that's mainly in fat cattle. I'd be surprised if any vets in Virginia had the equipment or knowledge to do a pap test.

Ned Jr.":325oq0c3 said:
skyhightree1":325oq0c3 said:

Brisket in Virginia? :? How high is your elevation? Did the cow have any of the Angus bull "Traveler 6807" in her pedigree? There's a feed lot brisket that happens at lower elevations but I think that's mainly in fat cattle. I'd be surprised if any vets in Virginia had the equipment or knowledge to do a pap test.

I honestly am not sure if she had any of the Traveler 6807 or not to be honest. I bought the cow from a local farm auction. The vet believes that is what happened to her I honestly have no club but thats what was said.

Ned Jr.":2ty82zoa said:
skyhightree1":2ty82zoa said:

I honestly am not sure if she had any of the Traveler 6807 or not to be honest. I bought the cow from a local farm auction. The vet believes that is what happened to her I honestly have no club but thats what was said.

Ned Jr.":278r5vrs said:
skyhightree1":278r5vrs said:

You might check with your vet to see exactly what he/she means by 'brisket disease' - he/she may be talking about something entirely different from what the rest of us know as 'brisket disease'
http://merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp ... /11400.htm

I don't believe there are any mountain elevations east of the Mississippi river, much less in VA, that would predispose cattle to developing true brisket disease.

Probably not what the Vet was referring to, but fluid in the brisket can be a sure sign of hardware poisoning.

Rod

To the best of my knowledge "BRISKET" does not occur below 4000'. I suppose it's possible. I heard of a bull testing so bad on his PAP test last year at a sale near Monte Vista Co that they recommended that he be slaughtered within 3 weeks as he would probably not live much longer than that anyway.

So I suppose it's possible but the probability has to be miniscule. More likely it's hardware or something else.

Do you know if her juglar vein was enlarged, hard and ropey feeling. That's a much better indicator of Brisket then anything actually having to do with the brisket itself.

Since skytree1 has not answered about the elevation, in their county I would say 500ft or less.
I have never heard of the true brisket disease in the east. I have seen a lot of hardware where the brisket is large.

kenny thomas":2m7v7obm said:
Since skytree1 has not answered about the elevation, in their county I would say 500ft or less.
I have never heard of the true brisket disease in the east. I have seen a lot of hardware where the brisket is large.

sorry yes the elevation is less than that. I am gonna ask the vet sometime this week

Latest posts