Bovine Respiratory Disease

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
BRD is continuing into late spring due to the wet weather. A neighbor called me this morning to ask about treating some calves.

He said that a few lack energy, are breathing hard and coughing. Over the last month, it has been raining about five days out of seven. We have mud, constant dampness and humidity.

Antibiotics are not going to help viral pneumonia but it will help treat or control secondary bacterial infections.

For the first time I vaccinated for BRD when we worked the calves early spring instead of just at weaning and I think it made a big difference. Had a couple with a droopy ear a few weeks ago, no other symptoms. Watched them closely and within a few days they "snapped out of it" and are perfectly fine. Can't remember when we've had such wet weather & fluctuating temps, starting last Oct.

TCRanch said:
For the first time I vaccinated for BRD when we worked the calves early spring instead of just at weaning and I think it made a big difference. Had a couple with a droopy ear a few weeks ago, no other symptoms. Watched them closely and within a few days they "snapped out of it" and are perfectly fine. Can't remember when we've had such wet weather & fluctuating temps, starting last Oct.

Our weather has been abnormal for two years. Above normal precipitation, fluctuations in temperature, and high humidity. Despite that and lots of BRD complex going around, my calves have also been healthy. I believe because of I am using Inforce 3 and One Shot Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 with a bacterin for Mannheimia.

Latest posts