briars in a pasture lease.

Help Support CattleToday:

ryan_289

Reaction score
I leased a new place last fall that will need some work done to the pastures. I was going to wait a year and see what I had out there before i sprayed, but I have noticed a few places that appear to be growing briars. What do I need to spray to kill these briars without damaging the rest of my grass.

Are the briars by any chance blackberrys? If so, the only time to effectrively control them is to spray when they are blooming. I use Remedy and Grazon. Wacks clover and other broadleaf plants too. Take at least 2 years to really get a handle on them.

Again, if they're blackberry briars, I can tell you 2-4D hasn't hurt 'em much on our place. I think I'll give 'em some Grazon during bloom this year and see what happens. Thanks, Dun.

farmwriter":12hw434f said:
Again, if they're blackberry briars, I can tell you 2-4D hasn't hurt 'em much on our place. I think I'll give 'em some Grazon during bloom this year and see what happens. Thanks, Dun.
Grazon by itself is only somewhat effective. It's the Remedy in the mix that hammers them

dun":2ewuiw0c said:
farmwriter":2ewuiw0c said:
Grazon by itself is only somewhat effective. It's the Remedy in the mix that hammers them

I see. Never used Remedy, and for some reason I thought 'or' instead of 'and' the first go-round. Mixed how?

How about the other kind of briers, greenbriers with the hart shaped shiny leaves and the big potato shaped rhizome in the root system?

novatech":2ygje1pd said:
How about the other kind of briers, greenbriers with the hart shaped shiny leaves and the big potato shaped rhizome in the root system?

quart of 2,4-d, 8 oz Remedy, and pint of surfactant/ acre works for me. If they are really thick it may take a retreat the following year.

Mine are the green briars as well. At the mixture listed above is that a spot spray application? What is the best time of year to spray.

ryan_289":1g0hrfxx said:
Mine are the green briars as well. At the mixture listed above is that a spot spray application? What is the best time of year to spray.
Here is something I found on google for converting to a pump up sprayer.
http://commodities.caes.uga.edu/turfgra ... KCALIB.htm
I still have the same question about when.

PS Trivia; while doing a search I found out the vicious things are edible.

novatech":w1gb33cq said:
ryan_289":w1gb33cq said:
Here is something I found on google for converting to a pump up sprayer.
http://commodities.caes.uga.edu/turfgra ... KCALIB.htm
I still have the same question about when.

PS Trivia; while doing a search I found out the vicious things are edible.

If you look at the label for the product you plan on jusing it will specify when to spray and what it kills

Ditto what Dun said...the directions on how to use the product are included on every jug. Most cover applications by hand spraying to arial spraying.

If you have big areas of them this won't work , I have small patches of them sometimes so I use a hand held wick wiper and wipe them with roundup , it also works on multiflora rose bushes .

i

I wouldn't even try to kill green briars (smilax varieties) with herbicide. Mow them down and if you have any cows out there they'll keep the new growth grazed off and pretty soon they'll die off. As posted, Remedy- active ingredient triclopyr, will kill blackberries dead, dead, dead.

Surmount looks real good in that TAMU test. I'll have to try some of that this year on some prickly pears and horse nettles. Come to think of it, my county agent recommended last year that I should use it on horse nettles.

On my 20 acres here in North Fla had lot of big patches of blackberry briars in my pensecola bahia field. Found a product called Element 4 which is actually a product for the forrsetry service for controlling weeds. It has the same ingredients as remedy but at half the cost. I sprayed my field last fall and it killed the briars grave yard dead. I never moved my cows off it and had no effect. I even tried a test spot in y centipede yard,killed all the weeds and didnt damage the grass at all. Good stuff.

Beachg12":1zsmrhr8 said:
On my 20 acres here in North Fla had lot of big patches of blackberry briars in my pensecola bahia field. Found a product called Element 4 which is actually a product for the forrsetry service for controlling weeds. It has the same ingredients as remedy but at half the cost. I sprayed my field last fall and it killed the briars grave yard dead. I never moved my cows off it and had no effect. I even tried a test spot in y centipede yard,killed all the weeds and didnt damage the grass at all. Good stuff.
I sprayed a fair amount of Element 4 last year in forestry sites. It's the same as Garlon 4 (only cheaper)and has the same active ingredient (triclopyr) as Remedy but I don't know if the % is the same. I wonder why the TAMU test added 2,4 D to the mix when they used Remedy? Element 4 alone will kill blackberries anytime during the growing season.

One solution that has been overlooked is goats..... a few goats will make the briars go away quickly.

Latest posts