breeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

bww

Reaction score
i was wandering if any of you have ever bred angus and holstien or even limousinwith a holstien and if youve had problems?

the old man had a holstein dairy & started crossing his heifers to a black angus. that's how he got his beef herd started. they make excellent mama cows with lots of milk. have known some dairy farmers to actually milk them

Ive bred holstein cows to both angus and limousin and gotten good results. Would never EVER breed a holstein bull to angus or limousin cows though. ever.

Beefy":hjakkdtv said:
Ive bred holstein cows to both angus and limousin and gotten good results. Would never EVER breed a holstein bull to angus or limousin cows though. ever.

Would that be because of the potential size of the calves and fear of calving problems?

george

Years ago when I raised dairy heifers, we'd breed them to Angus bulls. Very good cross.. excellent milkers and really produced good calves. I've never tried a British or Exotic with a Holstein bull.

I know a dairy farmer that had Holstein/Santa Gertrudis crosses. They were some good doing cattle. He has a big beef herd. Thats why he did this. then he used a F1 Holstein/Gert bull on his beef cows for awhile

The Angus or Hereford bull on Holstein heifers used to be a veary common practice for calving ease. Although the resultant offspring milk very wel, actaully too well, unless you're prepared to supplement them or you have really superb pasture, they don't do all that well as beef cows. We had a good number of that particular cross and used to put two or three extra calves on them as soon as they calved. The bull calves get docked at the salebarn, and even the 3/4 beef calves don't pay as well as straight beef calves, although they do pay better then Holstein calves.

dun

Latest posts