Breeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

txfishing

Reaction score
I purchased two Red Brangus cross heifers last year. They're aproximatly 16 months old and are ready to breed now. My dad (also a newbee) purchased an 18 month old Red Brangus Bull to service his eight heifers.

Before he purchased this bull I was thinking about getting my two heifer Artificially Insaminated and getting the whole process over and done with within 13 days Instead of renting a bull or taking my hiefers elsewehere while they get breed.

If I decide to take them to my dads place, how long would I have to leave them at my dads place in order to ensure they get breed?

Any disadvantage other than cost to Artificially Insaminating two heifers in my case?

you can give them a shot of lutalyse so that they will come into heat at the same time (or closely together at least). then you can either bring them back home after they are bred and pregnancy test them later or you can leave them there about 21 days and see if they come back into heat again.

So how are you going to tell when the heifers are in estrus for the AI to settle? The bull has a pretty sure way of finding out...really accurate too. 23 days will cover the cycle for just about most cows...we have some that go 18 like clock work and others only the bulls know.

AI is a great way to breed up / across - but - there are draw backs to this. Specifically it is not a guaranteed thing. AI can hit or miss. So, in your case I would probably take the animals to your fathers place - provided he is within a reasonable distance - leave them there for two months - cycles - and then bring them home.

Have a nice supper on your folks and pull out.

Bez

Putting them with the bull is your best bet as long as he is an easy calving bull and he didn't come from the same place as your heifers that he would be related to them to closely.

Rookie":2i28kf7p said:
Bull is ya best bet for my money. Hard ta beat nature. 8)

You bet on the bull he works 24/7/365 every month you miss is lost profit over the production period of that cow. My cows are on a 11 to 12 month cycle to maximize ROCE. unless your a expert at this its a losing proposistion in my book.

But then again what do I know I am just a dumb old commericial cattleman.

But then again what do I know I am just a dumb old commericial cattleman.

Yes, you are - and do not ever forget it. :D

But that puts you in some good company! 8)

Wife tells me to remember what I am - on a daily basis.

After 27 or so years I have learned to live with it.

Bez

I'll choose the Bull then. Just made arrangments with my dad in order to have my two heifer over within the next two weeks.

Txfishing

Latest posts