Breeding heifers. Help me out.

Help Support CattleToday:

2-4 hours after the end of standing heat. :D
I think you will have trouble going by just "number of days after Lutelase". Always better to see them standing.

Kingfisher":1oz3tq1s said:
branguscowgirl":1oz3tq1s said:
2-4 hours after the end of standing heat. :D
What exactly does that mean? Thanks for your reply.
Kingfisher, lutalyse is a prostaglandin and will help (key word because using it alone does not always work, just ask dun) initiate the estrus cycle which will release an ovum or egg so you can fertilize it with semen in the AI process.

If the lutalyse works, the cow will come into heat or as farmers say start bullin. When she stands and allows the bull or other cows to mount her back she is in standing heat (look at your chart;it is labeled [red]). Pay note of the fact that the time axis on your chart is from the begginning of estrus until the bloody discharge following ovulation. There is a window of opportunity that starts with standing heat and lasts about 12 hours from standing heat during which time you have a good probability of catching the egg in the right palce to fertilize it. That 12 hours is "blocked" on your chart.

Branguscowgirl is a short window person. I have a friend who is my age 64 and has done this his entire adult life and he is a long window guy. I saw where KNERSIE said the other day on here that new studies indicate you have the same odds if you breed them when you first observe standing heat. My AI manual states to breed then 6 to 8 hours after the conclusion of standing heat.

We had three cows AI'ed last Sunday morning at 7:00 am two seven year old cows were showing signs of heat on Saturday evening but one coming four year old cow was in standing heat when I brought them back home from being AI'ed. I hope she stuck because she was later than the other two cows.
We set them up with the seven day timed AI and bred at 67-68 hours.

Latest posts