Breed Suggestions

Help Support CattleToday:

cruiseil

Reaction score
Looking to purchase 15-20 to start with and breed. Living in Southern Illinois we can have high temp with extremely high humidity during the summer and relatively mild winters. Interested in suggestions for breed types for the inexperienced.

Red Poll for their docility, fertility, mothering ability, forage efficiency, rapid calf gain. Just to mention a few reasons why I prefer Red Polls

Jovid":1u468pvn said:
Red Poll for their docility, fertility, mothering ability, forage efficiency, rapid calf gain. Just to mention a few reasons why I prefer Red Polls

Herefords. For the same reasons as above, plus you can cross them with Angus to get the coveted black baldy. Hereford cows are also cheaper to start out buying than most other breeds.

Or you might want to try Murrey Grays :lol: :lol:
(Ha, Ha Msscamp and Springer, I beat you to it) :p :p

You can find this table and other information at the following link:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/livestocksystems/DI3926.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very high lean, low marbling, low milk, late puberty

Charolais -- very high growth
Chianina -- very high growth
Limousin -- moderate growth

---------------------------------------------------------
High lean, moderate marbling, high milk, moderate puberty

Simmental -- very high growth
Maine Anjou -- very high growth
Gelbvieh -- very high growth
Brown Swiss -- high growth

Moderate lean, moderate marbling, high milk, early puberty

South Devon -- moderate growth
Tarentaise -- moderate growth
Pinzgauer -- moderate growth

Moderate lean, low marbling, high milk, very late puberty, heat tolerant

Brahman -- high growth
Sahiwal -- low growth

Low lean, high marbling, moderate milk, moderate puberty

Angus -- moderate growth
Hereford -- moderate growth
Red Poll -- low growth
Devon -- low growth

Very high milk, high marbling, early puberty

Holstein -- moderate lean, high growth
Jersey -- low lean, low growth

-----------------------------------

Hereford or Angus.

Solid, proven breeds that have been around forever.

Easy to find breeding stock, good prices at the sale, and you can cross them with darn near anything and get a good animal.

warpaint":16cjq9zh said:
I know I'm gonna get rocks throwed my way, but give Texas Longhorns a try!! ;-)

No rocks from me - put my hat in the ring for this one - cross them British and look out - great calves.

Still do not understand folks not looking at them.

Especially for the small producer looking to do a little freezer trade.

Bez!

cruiseil":2hskqu6h said:
Looking to purchase 15-20 to start with and breed. Living in Southern Illinois we can have high temp with extremely high humidity during the summer and relatively mild winters. Interested in suggestions for breed types for the inexperienced.

Look around and see what the established ranchers are raising. If you plan to sell at the local sale barn, take some time to visit and see what breeds seem to sell best.

cruiseil":a3w1drgy said:

Cruiseil,

Welcome to the boards!

Come on guys/gals, read the first post: 15 to 20 to start for the inexperienced! What would be more appropraite than Angus (red or black) and or hereford? Just the most three widely accepted breeds in the U.S. Herefords would get the bonus points for being more docile.

Cruiseil, you need to check out you local markets to see what's "hot", but getting into trends can also be dangerous. If your just starting out I'd recommend one of the breeds above until you get your feet wet and feel more confident in your cattle management skills.

Tuli? Andy, do you really think that southern Illinois has the extreme heat and humidity needed for tuli? They still haven't become widely accepted down here, and I know we have summers much worse than Illinios. No one has been able to kick the brahman influence out yet.

Lakading, what's up with all of those breeds? Do you really think it's prudent for a newbie to start out with limo's or Chianina?

When someone asks a question like this, I feel a sense of responsibility to be as un-biased as possible. I do not have any full blood angus or herefords, by the way.

i agree with cypress on this one.
probably would go with Angus or herefords
I don't think southern Ill has the heat and humidity of the gulf coast, so i would stay away from the brahma influence breeds

cypressfarms":1lxsi6je said:
Lakading, what's up with all of those breeds? Do you really think it's prudent for a newbie to start out with limo's or Chianina?

Did I say that? The table was for reference.

Of course I would tell him to start with Angus. ;-)

But seeing as how I'm biased, I listed that table so they could see typical characteristics of each of those breeds.

I just reproduced the table as a whole. It would be unfair of me to pick and choose which breeds I wanted to pass along.

It was meant merely as a starting point. From there, the newbie can conduct a little due dilligence. If they can't or won't do that, it won't matter anyway.

cruiseil":17emjiih said:

Welcome! You're probably not too far from me. Around here the most popular breeds are Angus(by far) with Simmies a distant second. I'm basing this on number of bulls on test at UofI, SIU, and WIU test stations, so not real scientific but probably pretty close to the truth. Not pushing these breeds, but they must be popular in this area for a reason. Personally, if I were in your shoes I would start out with Hereford.

Cypress, I was thinking of Tuli crosses as high humidity was mentioned, which is a major cause of infertility in most Bos taurus breeds. They are amongst the most docile of breeds, and very low care so ideal for a beginner. I have no personal stake in this promotion of the Tuli, as I do not own any at present, because it is a new breedto America I am just trying to put out information on a breed that served me well in severe conditions for over 30 years. I did sell Tuli cattle to two farms in South Africa that are suceptable to snow in winter, on in the Natal Dragensberg mountains,the other in the Transvaal Magaliesbug mountains,both herds still flourishing 25 years on.
The numbers are low at present due to their relatively recent arrival, I just like to keep them in everyone's mind as a possible cross to try possibly in a limited way initially, so that by the time a reasonable number are available, those cattle breeders who like the results will be able to get females.
I was actually surprised at how many Tuli cattle are in Canada
they imported them several years before the American breeders did, more to most breeds than is always apparent!

You can't go wrong with a british or continental breed. Since the public is skewed into thinking "certified angus beef" (CAB) is the only meat you should buy, the packers pay more for black hided (if you sell your beef by the pound at a livestock auction) so you might want to consider turning your calves black to get in on the hype.

In this area and I'm across the river from Southern IL, its mostly angus, hereford, charolais, black brangus, simmental and some beefmaster (and crosses of those breeds). Get what you enjoy looking at in the pasture but turn your calves black.

If you want to watch your money and not spend as much, you can buy hereford cows, $450 to $650 at the auction in 2nd or 3rd period. They are just cheaper. Seems like most of the people over there in IL sell them over here in MO. Many of them take them to Patton on Monday or Farmington on Wednesday. The Fruitland/Jackson auction barn is cheaper than those two and they have their cow auction on 2nd tuesday of every month after feeders (these are herd sellouts, etc).

Welcome to the boards, there are many good, knowledgeable cattle men/women on here.

How many $$$ do you have to spend? What is the reason you want to raise cattle, beef operation, seed stock, become another full time semi-retired hobby farmer like me.
If you expect to make money with this venture, you need to treat it as a business, business plan, budget, cost forcast, marketing strategy the whole kit and kabootle.
Can't go wrong with Herefords or Angus to get your feet wet...
never met a mean herf.
IMO...visit your neighbors and find out what is available in your area...oh yeah, give your facilities a once over before the cows come home...or they won't stay long.
DMc

Latest posts