Breed my mare.

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
i come from the land down under, where women blow
G'day. just a quick question.

I have a purebred Bay Quarter Horse mare, whom i would like to get a Piebald foal out of.. what kind of coloured stallion would i need to put over her to get the black & white. (im guessing he'd would obviously have to be black and white (piebald)..but it doesnt hurt to ask)

I have seen a piebald stallion put over a bay mare of exactly the same colour as mine, and she produced a little skewbald...in this case, the stallion was Homozygous for his colour but in this instance im guessing that the mares colour dominated.

will my mares colour dominate (like the mare i mentioned above) and give me a dark brown and white foal? instead of giving me a black & white foal (taking the black from the stallion)? Or is it just luck of the draw as to what colour we will get.

Sorry if its a little confusing.

When it comes to genetics it really is a guessing game unless either the mare and/or the stallion is homozygous for color and/or coat pattern. If you really want a piebald foal, best bet is to buy a piebald foal.

ArrowHBrand":k2dbyxzq said:
When it comes to genetics it really is a guessing game unless either the mare and/or the stallion is homozygous for color and/or coat pattern. If you really want a piebald foal, best bet is to buy a piebald foal.

couldnt have said it better

ArrowHBrand":2f02063z said:

I would also have to agree.

Thanks. I know that a guarantee would be to buy the foal - but it takes away from having bred the foal yourself and being there from the day it hits the ground.

Looks like we may *hopefully* be getting a Yellow Bay TB anyway...so, if he comes through - the foal will be put on the backburner for a while.

Thanks again.

Skye.

Latest posts