Bred Prices ?

Help Support CattleToday:

In my area they are holding about the same most weeks , around $1100 - $1900 for breds , averaging $1350 is my guess . I have noticed some weeks the demand is a little softer for the average to below average stuff but the good ones bring the money

No real drop off in the part of Minnesota our farm is in. Good cows are still bringing as much as they were earlier in the summer. No drop off whatsoever at any of the sales I've been to in TN either. Most people I've talked to that are buying are still ok with current prices even if 5 weight steers and heifers only average in the 2.20s so until they get below that there is still a solid market where I've been going. You can still split old cows for over 2,000, and most should split over 2,400 if the cow weighs anything and you keep them a while. As long as you can split them that high I don't see the bottom falling out of the market.

Ojp6":1uf8oexe said:
You can still split old cows for over 2,000, and most should split over 2,400 if the cow weighs anything and you keep them a while. As long as you can split them that high I don't see the bottom falling out of the market.

I have a couple of those. Not sure how long to hold on to them?

I don't know either. One guy I bought some for just told me he's gonna hold them until his grass runs out this fall and hope for the best. What do you think corn will do this fall? The crop sure looks good where I've been but I don't know if it's good everywhere.

Surplus grass here. Stocked for the April drought and got whip sawed.

Good corn here except for lows spots and sand hill crane spots. Great corn on the sand north of I 94. But... it still looks like a money losing effort at $3.80 / bu.. Plan to chop mine and feed it to toothless cows. :cowboy:

I bought a young, thin red roan cow yesterday...7 mo bred , weighed 1065...$1.06 a lb =$1128.90
And a young herford bred heifer weighed 850 for $97.50 =$828.75
Also picked up a good BWF pair...cow at 1400 calf at 300 lb ..cow was bred back =$2075 for the pair.

Stocker Steve":3nqzzwy6 said:
Plan to chop mine and feed it to toothless cows. :cowboy:

Had a man call me the other day wanting to put in about 75 just like that in September or October. He did it last year with a small bunch of old thin ones and they really gained better than he expected eating silage.

I saw on the last Superior sale that about half of the bred heifers didn't sell. I am glad I pulled the trigger and contracted mine a month ago. The one thing I was worried about was that the guy who brokered the deal for me didn't allow for any heifers that didn't breed. I told him how many I have and he wrote it up for the entire number. He said don't worry you can be off on numbers by 5%. I told him it is normal to have 10% come in open with a short calving period. Then on Friday at the sale I bought three bred baldies that will fit right in with my heifers. Paid $825 a head less than what mine are contracted for. That will work all day long and now I am less worried about the open heifers.

A man I work with some had two pot loads of heifers and superior wouldn't even take them. They told him there was a really good chance that his wouldn't even get bid on because they've been getting so many consigned and had been having trouble selling them. They are really moving private treaty though.

Bred prices haven't slacked off much if any here.

You guys talking about heifers is nearly making me sick. We have 80 we are going to be marketing this fall either private treaty or through a local sale barn. We need big money no whammies.

Heifers I been seeing sold more than bred cows in some aspects... Calves haven't slacked off too much.. Breds are staying at their usual place.

Stocker Steve":285c43g7 said:
Dave":285c43g7 said:
I saw on the last Superior sale that about half of the bred heifers didn't sell. I am glad I pulled the trigger and contracted mine a month ago.

What caused this ???
Superior bred stock sales are infamous for typically only getting about half the inventory traded. They've been that way for years. Not a knock, I buy a lot of cattle on Superior but outside of a set that will sell itself, they struggle with bred stock.

js1234":3s4x3qsu said:
Superior bred stock sales are infamous for typically only getting about half the inventory traded. They've been that way for years. Not a knock, I buy a lot of cattle on Superior but outside of a set that will sell itself, they struggle with bred stock.

Lack of trust or what?

Stocker Steve":1imwqu5t said:
js1234":1imwqu5t said:

Lack of trust or what?
some. and that the bred stock guys are more apt to set a floor in toward the top of the market, that why they have a pass out fee (I'm almost certain but can swear to it) on top of the standard "catalogue fee" that you are charged when you no sale a lot of yearlings or calves. also, bred stock is hard to sell on the video. the buyer needs to know something, this requires leg work. when catalogues are delivered 3 days before the sale, that is challenging. also, i look those catalogues over pretty close and for every lot of bred heifers or cows that are legit, there seems to be 2 lots of either put together rebreeds touted as "sale topping Montana Angus genetics" which they very well may be other than the whole calf every other year thing, or bred heifers billed as cow maker, herd builder deluxes that actually are some decent black feeder heifers that had a break-even at $25/cwt. over the market so the gentleman kicked a bull in with them.

I sold my heifers last year on Superior at their Winnemucca sale. There weren't very many bred heifer lots and they sold real well. A couple weeks ago on their Steamboat Springs sale there as a lot of heifers listed. They past out a bunch of them. The commission on breeding stock is one percent higher than on feeders. I don't know what the difference is on any no sale fee. I sold on Western Video two years ago. I did OK but I sure could have done better. I wasn't very happy with the rep. I learned there is a big difference in reps and how hard they will work for you. The guy from Western was looking out for himself and sure blew a lot smoke up my skirt. That rep was the reason I didn't go with Western the next year.
The guy who bought my heifers last year through Superior bought them private treaty this year. He must have been happy with the heifers he got last year. My Superior rep who is also my son in law made the calls and set it up. Works good for me. No commission. No wondering what they will bring on the auction.

Dave":1b7f85vf said:
I sold my heifers last year on Superior at their Winnemucca sale. There weren't very many bred heifer lots and they sold real well. A couple weeks ago on their Steamboat Springs sale there as a lot of heifers listed. They past out a bunch of them. The commission on breeding stock is one percent higher than on feeders. I don't know what the difference is on any no sale fee. I sold on Western Video two years ago. I did OK but I sure could have done better. I wasn't very happy with the rep. I learned there is a big difference in reps and how hard they will work for you. The guy from Western was looking out for himself and sure blew a lot smoke up my skirt. That rep was the reason I didn't go with Western the next year.
The guy who bought my heifers last year through Superior bought them private treaty this year. He must have been happy with the heifers he got last year. My Superior rep who is also my son in law made the calls and set it up. Works good for me. No commission. No wondering what they will bring on the auction.
Agreed, I view live auction and out of the country both as better options for bred stock than the video.
None of my business but I'm not sure your son in law wants you advertising that he went back to the guy who bought cattle he repped on the video, once the relationship was forged, money was proven good and buyer and seller brought together, all at the auction houses expense and risk, and started shopping cattle to him direct, cutting the company that clears for him out of the mix.
Happens quite often but it's frowned on by auction houses unless the person is buying and trading under their own bond, taking care of their own business with P&S etc., which could very well be the case with him and I certainly meant no offense.

Latest posts