Bred Prices ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I understand that part of dealing outside the system. They sell and buy more cattle outside the video than they do through the system so it isn't too much of a problem. One of the things which I didn't like about the Western rep was that I told him what my bottom line was. Then as we were walking back to the truck he said, " well you have had fun raising them and how about I take the risk and the commission out of it for you and give you $___." His offer was $50 a head under my bottom line. The part about having "fun" really toasted me. And had I wanted a offer on the cattle there was lots of people I know who I could of had come make an offer. I had called for a rep to sell my cattle for me. Not for someone to see if they could low ball me so he could make money. I almost just got in my truck and left. I seriously considered calling down the Shasta and complaining. What I did do was not do business with him the next year.

Dave":1cxqgsxc said:
I understand that part of dealing outside the system. They sell and buy more cattle outside the video than they do through the system so it isn't too much of a problem. One of the things which I didn't like about the Western rep was that I told him what my bottom line was. Then as we were walking back to the truck he said, " well you have had fun raising them and how about I take the risk and the commission out of it for you and give you $___." His offer was $50 a head under my bottom line. The part about having "fun" really toasted me. And had I wanted a offer on the cattle there was lots of people I know who I could of had come make an offer. I had called for a rep to sell my cattle for me. Not for someone to see if they could low ball me so he could make money. I almost just got in my truck and left. I seriously considered calling down the Shasta and complaining. What I did do was not do business with him the next year.
I'm reasonably certain i know who the rep is you are referring to. if I'm correct, he's a clown. i will say that i think top to bottom Western has better reps than Superior, at least in the far west. since your son in law is a rep for Superior it just makes sense to use him. however, if you ever need some recommendations, id be glad to pm you the reps from both companies in the Northwest whom I've had the best experiences with year in year out. doesn't matter which video auction is used, the rep is everything.

Stocker Steve":zb2x4iwq said:
Bred prices dropped a couple hundred bucks here in August.
Bought a bred black hfr 1100 lbs 8 m pg last week for $1425 (happy, happy as I was willing to go to 1650 on her)
and a fall calving 1200 lb black cow ssm for 1275 (wish someone would've bid over me, turns out she's a high headed runner)

Fat cattle were up a buck and half last week and up another 2.00 yesterday.

Stocker Steve":xvf9q8op said:

Here they are the same only thing that keeps fluctuating ALOT is Calves

Here is some prices I wrote down from a sale yesterday

ResizedImage_1439326851903_zps3f7ae14a.jpg

Stocker Steve":31y972kl said:

Here they are the same only thing that keeps fluctuating ALOT is Calves

Here is some prices I wrote down from a sale yesterday

ResizedImage_1439326851903_zps3f7ae14a.jpg

Sky, since you didn't list the age I gotta ask if they age the cows there? Hard to say the price is good or bad without knowing how old they are. Slaughter cows are down quite a bit here so the head cows have followed the price slide some.
FPL is no longer buying market cows. This will effect many of you from KY, Missouri, VA and everywhere south of there.

kenny thomas":6hc0n0f0 said:
Sky, since you didn't list the age I gotta ask if they age the cows there? Hard to say the price is good or bad without knowing how old they are. Slaughter cows are down quite a bit here so the head cows have followed the price slide some.
FPL is no longer buying market cows. This will effect many of you from KY, Missouri, VA and everywhere south of there.

What is FPL?

SJB":2wla15zg said:
kenny thomas":2wla15zg said:

What is FPL?
Slaughter plant in Albany, GA I believe. 2 weeks ago the buyer for them that buys in Kingsport, TN was told to buy every cow no matter the price. They were high. The next week they fired most of the buyers and no longer buy any market cows. You can send them and sell them on the rail but thats it. They are also buying fed steers out of the north.

skyhightree1":1wke5e18 said:
no they are just preg checked ... its Winchester sale I watched over the net.
I know that is done some places but why not check the age and get the good price for them. A 5 year old cow is almost always worth more than a comparable 12 year old cow. And some people cant tell the difference so they won't gamble on them. I bought a couple of 4 year old cows yeaterday that were short bred but would not have give them a second look had they not been aged.

kenny thomas":1zpqolqr said:
skyhightree1":1zpqolqr said:
no they are just preg checked ... its Winchester sale I watched over the net.
I know that is done some places but why not check the age and get the good price for them. A 5 year old cow is almost always worth more than a comparable 12 year old cow. And some people cant tell the difference so they won't gamble on them. I bought a couple of 4 year old cows yeaterday that were short bred but would not have give them a second look had they not been aged.

That's what I like about springlake they preg check and put fm bm sm on them I like that but now most barns don't even preg check.. You know where I buy those guys if you say cow was exposed to a bull they will pay 1600-1800 for her ... NO WAY I would do that I want confirmation.

kenny thomas":12znokl2 said:
SJB":12znokl2 said:
kenny thomas":12znokl2 said:

What is FPL?
Slaughter plant in Albany, GA I believe. 2 weeks ago the buyer for them that buys in Kingsport, TN was told to buy every cow no matter the price. They were high. The next week they fired most of the buyers and no longer buy any market cows. You can send them and sell them on the rail but thats it. They are also buying fed steers out of the north.

Kenny FPL is in Augusta GA.

My dad bought a bunch of natural steers out of southern MN and northern Iowa and shipped down to FPL a few times a couple years back but I think the plant was just custom killing them for a different company. It's a long haul on them.

I think most of the cattle in western Kentucky and central TN are bought by one man that kills them all out anyway so hopefully it won't hurt them too bad. He buys a lot of cows out of Missouri as well.

Latest posts