Bred Heifer Purchase Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Still working out the details, sounds like $1,700 is the actual price . Have to make up my mind soon. Found out all the clubby ones are staying on the farm to be used for club calf producers so i wont have to worry abou them. Theres about 25 baldies in there I might take. Whats the dangers of raising a calf on the cow in a dry lot (feedlot), its a big lot w/ drive along bunks that holds about 100 head. If I dont do this I will need to find something else to take up my time all winter/spring.

I still think $1700 is way too much money. Here in Colorado you can buy 2nd calvers for $1,200.

Baldies are good investment right now though.

No problems calving on the dry lot as long as you scrape and re-bed regularly. If you are calving 100 head in a dry lot you are going to have to buy a lot of straw, even more if the ground isn't frozen. To me frozen ground is easier because the babies don't get popped out into slop and the nasty pathogens are frozen. If you are someplace like northern Colorado where the snow/mud/snow is the cycle, that could be alot of money in straw and and alot of time on the tractor. If you are someplace with harsher winter, less bedding and maintenance needed because everything stays frozen. I am not sure but I think Iowa would be a little more consistent in temperature to keep things frozen then here in CO where it can reach 50-60 degrees in the dead of winter.

No frigging way . Way to much money for heifers , I can buy running age cows for that . Plus the bred cow market has soften up up here . The very best heifers from known ranches with known gentics are bringing 1500 . I think your target pair price is a hopefull swing to the bleachers price . When are they due to calve , I don't know about your winter , but I'am guessing any time through the end of Febuary you're either going to be in snow or mud . You better buy a semi load or 2 of straw and have a barn with jugs and a heater , plan on having a calf ride in the pickup with you . Like was said before , just stocks don't cut it those heifers are still growing , plus eating for 2 , your going to have a extra feed cost . Start taking naps now , 'cause midnight , 2 ,4,6 all frigging day day checks for a month get old quick .Calving heifers isn't feed'um and leave'um

watching the market reports the past 2 weeks from area auctions looks like good bred heifers selling between $1650-$1850 in Iowa and Nebraska. $1700 doesnt seem so high now I guess. Still wondering what this is going to do to the cow/calf market next spring and if people are really going to spend $2,500 a pair.

Last Saturday a ranch came into Mobridge Livestock and sold about 250 Red Angus bred heifers and averaged right at $1700 and sold everyone of them. You watch, later this fall and winter you are going to see some $2000 bred heifers and cows a several $1800 bred heifers and cows. This week in Valentine, NE their were $1350 tested open heifers, and in Ft Pierre yesterday, I had a bull customer sell his replacement heifer calves weighing 502 lbs for $195.50/cwt. Everyone needs to understand that good cattle bring a premium, and needs to adjust for it. If calves are bringing from $900 to $1000 each off the cow, then bred cows and bull prices will rise as well.

Ill tend to agree with BRG. Looked and couldn't find Burwell Livestocks Christmas cow sale from last year, but pretty sure bred heiffers were in that $1500 or better mark last year. Thats kinda their premier (tax deduction) sale. Best of the best. Better end steers are bringing $1000 right off the cow. Bull sale season is going to be SCARRY!

With that being said, if you have no other equity that maybe changes things a bit. Bull bred you won't have a super huge mess with only 30, but if you have never calved out that will be enough. When are you going to sell as pairs? Corn stalks won't cut it as said. Feb calvers you will need lots of good feed. You can run them on stalks. They will need to be in real good shape (easier now than post calving) but not too fat either. Then if your going to sell right after calving you will have to have them looking nice. Heiffer is growing, feeding a calf, and fighting cold weather. You know the bull history, but what about the heiffer genetics? Heavy milkers? You could push TMR post calving, that early but heavy milk and you might have problems as well.

If I were you, Id look for some mid aged cows. Your corn stalks would work. Less calving problems. Retain thier condition post calving. Should still sell well. Be able to buy at a better price and get more of them. Make same ammount or maybe more on volume and less feed than shooting for top of the line and premium re-sale price. The economy is super shaky and who knows what will happen next. If it all falls out of bed and you have other cows to help cushion the loss (equity) you can ride out the storm and justify buying premium genetics to improve your heard. Buying premium genetics just to make a buck is a lot riskier. If your a feed lot what resources do you have for "good" feed? Id go on cheaper price and the volume route.

Isomade":1e8t86ql said:
dun":1e8t86ql said:
Way too much money
For me this statement sums it up perfectly.

Yep for this area too... I saw some top commercial black angus heifers- synchronized and bred AI for a 7 day calving period from a long time reputation ranch sell a couple weeks ago...Top cut sold for $1500-- later bunchs in the sale mostly sold for $1300 to $1400... Several other lots of bred heifers from different owners at the same sale sold for $1200-1250...
(After last years record winter and the forecasters saying we could have a repeat-- everyone is a little gunshy around here about jumping in)..

A local registered outfit was asking $900 minimum for their open heifer calves selling commercially-- $1200 with papers...

mlazyj":2o3twbmc said:
Oldtimer were the heifers at Glasgow ? I'am looking at Miles city report on bred cows from last week , I'am thinking young cows if the price stays steady for the next couple of weeks .

Yep- Glasgow...The sale was Oct 20th- and Dunbar Bros. from Whitewater had the real fancy bred heifers in there...Bring about 100 or so a year in... The sale report says they weighed 1108 and Avg. $1,416, top $1,525...

Glasgow is having a bred cow sale on Dec. 8th... Sounds like several dispersions and maybe some more bred heifers..

Early Consignments:
**50 Black 5 To 9 Year Old Cows. Bred Angus. Tested In Yard. Shots & Poured.
**Tentative Dispersion: 150 Black/Bwf Cows. Running Age. Bred Angus.
**Dispersion 100 Black With Few Red Cows. Coming 3 To 10. Bred To Red Angus Or Black Lim/Flex Bulls. Tested In Yard. Shots & Poured.
**15 Angus Cows 3 To 6 Yrs. Bred Angus.
**55 Bred Cows: 15 Red 2'S. 5 Black 5'S. 35 Black 4 To 7'S. Bred Angus.
**30 Black Short Term Cows.
**12 Black/Bwf Bred Heifers.
**2 Tentative Consignments Of Bred Heifers.

I'm hearing some optimistically talking they think young cows/bred heifers/pairs will be well over $2000 this spring... :)

Decided to buy between 100-200 450 lb steers instead. Already have everything needed and have been doing it all my life. Less work and less risk in my opinion. Gonna sell them at around 8-850 this spring. Will be fun to watch what the market will do to see what would have been.

cyclone.1983":3l9ncijg said:
Decided to buy between 100-200 450 lb steers instead. Already have everything needed and have been doing it all my life. Less work and less risk in my opinion. Gonna sell them at around 8-850 this spring. Will be fun to watch what the market will do to see what would have been.
I think you made a wise choice. IMHO

BRG":3qw3dunr said:
Everyone needs to understand that good cattle bring a premium, and needs to adjust for it. If calves are bringing from $900 to $1000 each off the cow, then bred cows and bull prices will rise as well.

I agree that you need to look at how many calves it takes to pay for the cow.
Lower end but usable bred cows are going for about $950 to $1050 here.
The issue for me is that the risk is much higher when you buy into a market like this.
Dirt surfers can buy revenue crop insurance, but I have never seen revenue calf insurance. :cowboy:

Stocker Steve":x0ju9u83 said:
What does "running age" mean in your area?

Well anything that they can't describe as young cows anymore- and aren't broken mouths or short termer description- is usually considered "running age"... Usually around 5-9...

Well I do think you made a wise choice. Not saying it wouldn't of worked, but was a big gamble with nothing else to back you up.

Just for kicks one local barn had their first cow sale last week. Take a look at the HEREFORD heiffers. I think they were bred to Final Answer. Next sale is between Christmas and New Years. Lots of IRS deductions will happen the the best of the best will come to town.

http://www.burwelllivestock.com/salesum ... SaleId=232

I have never seen bred commercial heifers sell that high. Any particuliar reason?

Cow prices looked close to the market here, and pehaps a better value.

Latest posts