Bred cow prices

Help Support CattleToday:

Central Fl Cracker

Reaction score
I have historical data on calf prices but I am curious about prices for bred cows. Are they tied to a certain time of year in regards to price. I assume a bred cow that is going to calve in the spring is worth more if it is going to calve in the summer.

Yesterday the bred cows were up quite a bit from December young cows were selling for close to a thousand bucks. Eight year olds were bringing $800-900...not bad for this time of year. Same cows would have sold for two hundre bucks less a month ago.
DMc

Yes, Here cows that are going t calf in the spring are worth more than coes that are going to calf in the summer. I think that that may be farm specific. We will not buy a cow that will not calf before the first of June. Our neighbor has calves year round, I don't think he cares. Most have a calving season. We need our heifer calves to be 15 months old by August first when the bull goes in.

Of course your spring starts much sooner, and your winters are much more mild. So maybe it doesn;t affect price so much there....

The closer they are to calving the higher they usually are- as up here that usually means spring calvers and less feed you have to put in them before they can go on grass...

At the local bred sale in December- bred heifers were selling for $1200-1300-- young (3-4-5 year old cows) were selling as high as $1400....Even short term solid mouths were going for over $1000- with broken mouths selling between $500-700....Most these are bred for March calving....

Latest posts