Breakfast, lunch, and dinner, or supper? How do you say it?

Help Support CattleToday:

Just_a_girl

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone else calls our 3 meals a day?

I say Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I do, too, but I have cause a lot of confusion over it. My folks and my husband say breakfast, dinner and supper. I would like to know the origins of that.

Down here dinner and supper are used somewhat interchangably to describe the evening meal, except on Sunday. Sunday dinner is always the mid-day meal. I think in general, supper is used to describe a more informal or lighter meal and dinner to describe a larger or more formal meal.

Just_a_girl":eoc92wto said:
Just wondering how everyone else calls our 3 meals a day?

I say Breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
i say breakfest dinner an supper.

ETF":my6nh917 said:
Down here dinner and supper are used somewhat interchangably to describe the evening meal, except on Sunday. Sunday dinner is always the mid-day meal. I think in general, supper is used to describe a more informal or lighter meal and dinner to describe a larger or more formal meal.

That is how I see it.....supper as being informal, a casual relaxed meal, and dinner as more formal.

LOL....But, I still say breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I guess I'm too old to change now. :lol:

We always said breakfast, dinner and supper growing up, and I still do. However, Van says breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Alice

breakfast, lunch, dinner. although, supper is called lunch and dinner is supper. it gets real confusing :D

Around these here parts it is normally breakfast, dinner and supper.....lessen of course we are going to a fine, upscale establishment for supper (Hardee's) and them it becomes dinner. :lol:

Dinner and lunch are synonomous. When do you eat Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner? :lol:

My ancestors were farmers. They started early. By the time noon came around, they were hungry. "Dinner" being the chief meal of the day, was a lunch time meal.

My family sits down to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner late afternoon, around three, and then again around 6, and then again around 9. :lol:

For me it is breakfast, lunch , and dinner. My Dad said that the noon meal was lunch if you carried it in a bag and dinner if you ate it at the kitchen table.

Just_a_girl":3n7qy33j said:
My family sits down to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner late afternoon, around three, and then again around 6, and then again around 9. :lol:

WHOA!! three? That is in the middle of the ball game. "Them thar is fightin words."

This is the typical southern Thanksgiving. Get in from hunting, skin all the deer and wrap them in sheets and put them in the junk ice box to cool. Wash up really good, wire brush style, then put on a clean shirt. Hug all the lady folks you haven't seen in months. Kiss all the babies. Get all the folks together. Everyone removed their hats, mute the television, return a good serious thanks for the wonderful life you live. Then get started helping with all the fixins on the table. By then it is almost noon and your cutting up the food for the little kids. Somebody had been carving on the turkey by now. Everyone eats. Then everyone gets desert and you get to haul the trash bags out. Smoke a quick cigarette while you are hauling out the trash and get back in to see the football game. Half-time comes and everyone needs another round of dessert. etc. etc.

Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Mid-Afternoon Snack, Supper, Late Night Snack (Only if there is pie or cake leftover)

Dinner on weekends, Sunday Dinner.

I'm hungry.

Breakfast, Dinner and Supper. That's the way my family has
said it as long as I can remember. Guess it has a lot to do
with what part of the country you are in.

backhoeboogie":1iq3mx4w said:
Dinner and lunch are synonomous. When do you eat Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner? :lol:

My ancestors were farmers. They started early. By the time noon came around, they were hungry. "Dinner" being the chief meal of the day, was a lunch time meal.

Yes, I think that may be the origins of that. I had found out once before. Like I said, I don't have memory for poop any more. Although I have seen some memorable poops... :oops:

Latest posts