Breakfast Inflation

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm with you on expecting too much at these places, lots of folks look down on them and it's not right. The workers you speak of are generally some of the nicest people you'll see all day.

By reading this post I'd guess that the poster makes above minimum wage. If so how did you get above minimum wage and why did you try to get an above minimum wage pay rate? I have people apply for a job and complain about making minimum wage when they don't even know how to wash their own clothes or god forbid get up on time. If someone will explain to me why I should pay a person that thinks it's ok to play on their phone, be late, take off when they want, can't add or subtract, come to work presentable, or even remember what to do without a detailed job list $15 an hour I'm all ears. The basic argument is if they make more they'll work harder, we all know that's not true (at least in the long term). Maybe companies need to have an honest discussion about how a $15 minimum wage will affect consumer prices. I know they've done the studies. Throw the numbers out and let the public decide. I pay based on merit and believe that's how it should be. It does bother me that there are Billion dollar corporations that pay nothing and treat their employees bad but it's the publics job to fix that not the Government's.

My nephew wants a good job but thinks he should start at $20 minimum. The boy lives at home and knows allot about nothing so of course he can't land a job like he wants. He is always fishing, hog hunting, partying, and riding atvs instead of trying to better himself. The last job I helped him get paid $15 and he called in sick 4 times in 3 weeks. The last day he called in sick I found out he was at my house needing air and gas for his 4 wheeler. I told his boss to just fire him. I know this is an unpopular opinion but I say he's just too lazy to work. Yet public opinion is that he should be paid the $15 and be allowed to have fun and live a good life at his employers expense. It's like saying the people that aren't smart enough or don't go to college for whatever reason should pay for the ones that do. Maybe I'm getting old but I think the United States had gone crazy.
These people will always be the bottom wage earners if they raise minimum to 25 bucks.
Everything will reset and they will still be on bottom.

These people will always be the bottom wage earners if they raise minimum to 25 bucks.
Everything will reset and they will still be on bottom.
That's exactly right.

I was make $40kish mowing and doing ranch work while going to high school.

In this area I can get $15-30 an hour doing odds and ends. I didnt have to have the govt force any of my employers in to paying that money. They determined I was worth it.

Its aggrivates me when people say... how do you fall in to those gravy deals? I'm always thinking in my head... by not assuming people just fall in to things.

I smile, grit my teeth, and say... character, hustle, and word of mouth. Most look at me like I'm bsing them. It's a mentality that only they can choose to change.

We knew a young family with several children that were struggling financially. The young man works a fast food job, and they receive government help for the children, ie food stamps and Medicaid. We knew of a pharmaceutical factory that was hiring, and suggested that, he said that he wanted to have a life and time with his family and changed the subject quickly after that. Translated that from other statements he's made to mean that he wanted a job that he could call in whenever, and not make over the amount that they lose the benefits. I don't know if the upcoming child credit payments or what ever that is will affect government benefits but it probably should.

I see more and more mid aged (or older) people working at fast food or other 'minimum wage' jobs nowadays, whereas decades ago, it used to be mostly people just out of high school or high schoolers working part time jobs. I have often wondered how/why those older people just never developed any job skills. I can understand the women, who may have spent a decade or 2 as the stay-at-home parent raising families while hubby worked and therefore have no commercial workplace experience, but it's seemingly also about a 50/50 split men to women that I see around here in those lower paying jobs, and all races.
I agree with your observations as well. the local newspaper had an article about a week ago about an 82 year old lady that considered Culvers her favorite eat in restaurant. she got tired of the dinning area being closed because of lack of staff so she asked the manager if she could start working there to help their shortage of workers in the hopes of the dinning area reopening sooner. she got hired and loves her job of delivering meals to costumers in the drive through lane. I think the older generation in particular just want to get out and feel like they are contributing to society. I have been working a skilled trades job for the last 20 years and would not have a problem working in a fast food environment after retirement. I would be interested to see how many of those mid to older workers are working to make ends meet or just out enjoying the time they get to spend with other people.

My minimum wage employees (of all ages) are mostly women that do not want a job with a fixed schedule or any type of truancy program. Some are married some are not. They mostly work there so they can be off when husband and the kids need them. I don't have a problem with that as most of the time it works for all involved. What happens to my top employees when I raise the slackers to $15, do I pay them $15 or move them to $20 or more? The higher paid girls work overtime too so that cost has to figure in as well. I had an employee that will only work Mon - Fri 6-2 call last week and say through the summer she needed off every Monday and some Fridays to spend time with grandkids. Not baby sit just spend time with them. I told her we could make it work and I'm glad she's able to do that. Now, should I feel bad if she can't pay her bills? I work my tail off to have what I have and have missed out on allot. I don't cry or ask the government to pay me for a few years to make up for lost time. I just don't understand it.

Oh yes, not 10 minutes after my original post the nephew I spoke of sent me a text about a job working on the road I told him about. He needed a direct link to the application. Took me about 2 minutes to pull it up and send it to him. He wants $20 minimum to work but can't find a simple careers page on a website? SMH

About a year ago I quit going to Wal Mart for reasons I won't get too deep into. One of them was I don't think they treat they're employees right and use the government to supplement the way they do business. I'm just one person and don't make a difference but if 20% of the population did the same they'd be forced to change. Quit going to McDonald's until they raise wages. People complain about things and expect the government to fix it when in reality the American people hold the real power. I'm all for capitalism and don't begrudge any company for making money which makes all this a slippery slope.

I am 69 and retired. If I lived in town I would take one of those part time jobs at a hardware store. For me the 30 miles one way to town and the fact that I own a ranch is what is keeping me from taking it on. There is a 77 year old guy who lives next to our post office who has a part time job as a courtesy clerk at a grocery store in town. Gives him something to do and make a few bucks doing it. The wife (68) works 3 days a week for 2 or 3 hours cleaning house and cooking for an 84 year old rancher near here. Gives her something to do and makes a little pocket money.

My minimum wage employees (of all ages) are mostly women that do not want a job with a fixed schedule or any type of truancy program. Some are married some are not. They mostly work there so they can be off when husband and the kids need them. I don't have a problem with that as most of the time it works for all involved. What happens to my top employees when I raise the slackers to $15, do I pay them $15 or move them to $20 or more? The higher paid girls work overtime too so that cost has to figure in as well. I had an employee that will only work Mon - Fri 6-2 call last week and say through the summer she needed off every Monday and some Fridays to spend time with grandkids. Not baby sit just spend time with them. I told her we could make it work and I'm glad she's able to do that. Now, should I feel bad if she can't pay her bills? I work my tail off to have what I have and have missed out on allot. I don't cry or ask the government to pay me for a few years to make up for lost time. I just don't understand it.

Oh yes, not 10 minutes after my original post the nephew I spoke of sent me a text about a job working on the road I told him about. He needed a direct link to the application. Took me about 2 minutes to pull it up and send it to him. He wants $20 minimum to work but can't find a simple careers page on a website? SMH

About a year ago I quit going to Wal Mart for reasons I won't get too deep into. One of them was I don't think they treat they're employees right and use the government to supplement the way they do business. I'm just one person and don't make a difference but if 20% of the population did the same they'd be forced to change. Quit going to McDonald's until they raise wages. People complain about things and expect the government to fix it when in reality the American people hold the real power. I'm all for capitalism and don't begrudge any company for making money which makes all this a slippery slope.
So you quit eating at McDonalds until they pay their employees more? But you talked about your "minimum wage employees"? What's the difference there? Maybe you should lead by example instead of "cancel culture". And you speak about Wal Mart, which just happens to be one of the few companies that raised all their employee's wages above minimum wage? Sounds to me like they treat their employees better than most.

So you quit eating at McDonalds until they pay their employees more? But you talked about your "minimum wage employees"? What's the difference there? Maybe you should lead by example instead of "cancel culture". And you speak about Wal Mart, which just happens to be one of the few companies that raised all their employee's wages above minimum wage? Sounds to me like they treat their employees better than most.
If I raised all my employees to $15 I would have to raise prices across the board. This is something we've talked about allot and we'd be taking a big chance of going broke. People will probably go somewhere cheaper. We aren't a huge company that has lots of stores to cover cost. We've got 1 location in a small town. There's a huge misconception out there that all business owners are rich and make a killing. My regular job pays twice what the business does and all I to worry about is showing up dressed for work.

Walmart did raise their minimum wage and passed the cost to me in the form of a terrible shopping experience. Last time I was in there I bought a large item. It took me 3 trips to to main desk, 2 trips to find the person they sent to help, one trip to the stocking area in the back ( wasn't welcome back there), all this before getting a shopper to help me load item. When I got up front to pay nobody would help so checked myself out. When I left they ask for a receipt to make sure I didn't steal it. I was as nice as I could be to this guy and ask for help loading the item and he told me no. Sorry, I won't be back and I'm not basing that decision on one bad day as Home Depot is about to be a no go also.
McDonalds was an example of how the people can raise minimum wage without having the government raise minimum wage, kind of like the $600 and $300 checks are doing now.

Lucky did you make $129B in profit like walmart or $5B like McDonalds in 2020?

Comparing a small business to a business that puts up billions in profits every year is not really apples to apples.

Although I'm a big free market person people need to also do what they can promote better a better work experience. If people would do that maybe we wouldn't need this govt intervention.

Lucky did you make $129B in profit like walmart or $5B like McDonalds in 2020?

Comparing a small business to a business that puts up billions in profits every year is not really apples to apples.

Although I'm a big free market person people need to also do what they can promote better a better work experience. If people would do that maybe we wouldn't need this govt intervention.
You're right many things about large corporations vs. small business is not apples to apples. But one thing that is apples to apples no matter the company are the employee wages. $15 spends the same for the employee earning it whether it comes from Wal Mart or from jack's tire and muffler shop. I've never been concerned about my boss's quarterly earnings, or his bonus, or his profit margin. I've always been concerned about my paycheck.

Don't know if this is the way the story went, but it's something like this. Two friends went to work for the railroad. Many years later one went on to become the president of railroad company, the other still working for his paycheck.

The difference in these two - one went to work for the railroad and the other went to work for a paycheck.

You're right many things about large corporations vs. small business is not apples to apples. But one thing that is apples to apples no matter the company are the employee wages. $15 spends the same for the employee earning it whether it comes from Wal Mart or from jack's tire and muffler shop. I've never been concerned about my boss's quarterly earnings, or his bonus, or his profit margin. I've always been concerned about my paycheck.
Your trying to flip what I said to justify yourself. I did not say a person was entitled to more based off the company's earnings. Dont try to put words in my mouth.

It is well known and documented WalMart treats its employees badly. There is a reason companies like HEB who takes the opposite approach to its employees are thriving while WalMarts are known for being trash. I rarely go in a walmart because I dont agree with how they do business either... as do many others. That's a very common sentiment toward walmart and its well deserved.

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I thought this was a thread about wages, not about Wal Mart. I was simply referring to Wal Mart and McDonalds because they were used in a previous post. I could care less where you shop or what you think of Wal Mart so I'm sorry rub salt in your Wal Mart wounds. But I guess if they treat them like garbage, the reason they retain 1.6 million employees in the U.S must be because they pay them $15/hr.
This debate could go forever. I think everybody deserves a living wage and I think I have an idea what that is. Some here do not think that. I'm ok with agreeing to disagree.

This is a very complicated problem and there is no easy fix. Bottom line is if minimum wage goes to $12-15 an hour straight across the board thousands of small businesses will go under. The small businesses currently paying $15 will have trouble keeping employees and go under also. The reason most minimum wage workers leave is they can make that anywhere. My employees making $15 now would probably leave for an easier job making $15 unless I raised them to $20 or more. My little town really needs my business to stay open, if I close and nobody opens it back up it would be hard on the community. I'm all for a reasonable minimum wage hike based on a yearly raise but not a straight raise that nearly doubles the pay.

Employers also pay SS, MC, UE and other taxes as a percentage of pay. This will go up for the business owner as well. It'd be a huge tax increase for them.

I'm sorry. I thought this was a thread about wages, not about Wal Mart. I was simply referring to Wal Mart and McDonalds because they were used in a previous post. I could care less where you shop or what you think of Wal Mart so I'm sorry rub salt in your Wal Mart wounds. But I guess if they treat them like garbage, the reason they retain 1.6 million employees in the U.S must be because they pay them $15/hr.
This debate could go forever. I think everybody deserves a living wage and I think I have an idea what that is. Some here do not think that. I'm ok with agreeing to disagree.
I am gonna guess you are not now or have ever been a business owner.

Nobody has a problem with paying a reasonable living wage to those that do a reasonable and profitable job. You are also missing that minimum wage is always minimum wage and when prices elevate to compensate for a higher minimum wage you aren't any better if it is $100 than you were if it is $5. A successful business such as WalMart works on a set profit margin and they aren't going to lower that to eat a wage increase. Small businesses tend to suffer more because when prices go up both places the mentality of people push them towards the "discount store".

If you make minimum wage it is because you produce a minimum amount or have a minimum amount of knowledge. The money is there for those that produce and you don't have to beg for it in today's environment.

Raising minimum wage isn't about raising the standard of living for the low wage earners.
It's about lowering the standard of living for the middle class they want eliminated.
We are paying the cost on wages for exporting our manufacturing overseas.
Manufacturers pumps money into the local economy, retail sucks it out.
As far as Walmart goes I loathe the organization, they make more profits than major oil companies and won't pay a living wage. But then we line up at their registers to pump money to China.

I am gonna guess you are not now or have ever been a business owner.

Nobody has a problem with paying a reasonable living wage to those that do a reasonable and profitable job. You are also missing that minimum wage is always minimum wage and when prices elevate to compensate for a higher minimum wage you aren't any better if it is $100 than you were if it is $5. A successful business such as WalMart works on a set profit margin and they aren't going to lower that to eat a wage increase. Small businesses tend to suffer more because when prices go up both places the mentality of people push them towards the "discount store".

If you make minimum wage it is because you produce a minimum amount or have a minimum amount of knowledge. The money is there for those that produce and you don't have to beg for it in today's environment.
Quite the contrary! I am a current business owner of a small business just as Luck speaks of. And we, in the last year sold another business that is still thriving today. Before that I grew up with my family owning multiple businesses, none of which ever went under. So the stereotype that you use that says everybody that is in favor of a minimum wage increase is an entry level, low wage worker does not work here. I also disagree on the stated "fact" that all minimum wage workers do not work hard or deserve more. It's simply not true! There will always be those that have no ambition to better themselves, but there's nothing we can do to fix that. Especially at the demise of those that do want to better themselves.
Everybody seems to want the government to stay out of their business, that's true for all of us. But too many times we pick and choose what we want government involved in. Like manufacturing moving overseas? We sure want government involved there. We as individuals cannot make the differences needed. We don't say it in so many words, but what we say is government should do their jobs when it's something that's good for me, me, me. But when it's good for somebody else and harder on us we say it's a conspiracy and the government should stay out of our lives.
Condpiracies that were going to destroy our country have been around and festering long before we were all alive. If we could ever stop looking at everything as a coup and a conspiracy we might make some progress.

Raising minimum wage isn't about raising the standard of living for the low wage earners.
It's about lowering the standard of living for the middle class they want eliminated.
We are paying the cost on wages for exporting our manufacturing overseas.
Manufacturers pumps money into the local economy, retail sucks it out.
As far as Walmart goes I loathe the organization, they make more profits than major oil companies and won't pay a living wage. But then we line up at their registers to pump money to China.
I agree, if wages increase then businesses are not going to eat that cost and go on, they are going to increase their prices to maintain and thus the increase in wages is a wash. I'm not a Walmart fan at all but we go there simply because there isn't much other choice. Years ago had a small paint store/glass cutting business in our downtown. It was impossible to compete with the big chain stores that could sell items as cheap as we could buy them wholesale. Had four employees and tried to be generous to them as possible and hold out but finally had to close up shop. There is now just one private owned hardware store in town now and they are struggling and likely just a matter of time until they close. Those big stores come in and take out the competition. Then there isn't an alternative. Looks to me like they are trying to cut out some employees by putting in more self checkouts, thus customer service is that much less. I honestly dislike the dollar stores more, the bulk of their products are made in China, and the name brands that they carry are often much higher than other stores. We have at least 6 dollar stores in this county 4 of which are Dollar Generals.

Latest posts