Inflation

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm 42 and the last 5 years I've felt a lot of new aches and pains... one of the worst is my shoulder, only hurts when I sleep on it, but it's the side I MUST be on in order to fall asleep.. 2 hours after falling asleep it's like my shoulder is getting pulled out of the socket.. roll over and I'm fine, don't feel it in the day at all.. it's weird.. lower back has also had numerous injuries that say hello, and tendinitis in both my forearms reminds me not to overexert them too much or it's 6 months of recovery

I'm 42 and the last 5 years I've felt a lot of new aches and pains... one of the worst is my shoulder, only hurts when I sleep on it, but it's the side I MUST be on in order to fall asleep.. 2 hours after falling asleep it's like my shoulder is getting pulled out of the socket.. roll over and I'm fine, don't feel it in the day at all.. it's weird.. lower back has also had numerous injuries that say hello, and tendinitis in both my forearms reminds me not to overexert them too much or it's 6 months of recovery
I have a similar problem in my left shoulder, if I lay on it too long it'll wake me up hurting. I've had problems with it since I got thrown off a horse and landed it on it when I was 17. Last year I decided to rope a 4 month old calf while I was on foot and dally it to a tree, since that battle the shoulder has gotten worse. The trouble was the battle between where i roped it and that tree, it's amazing how they can go from calm to lunatic crazy when that rope hits them.

tart cherry caplets will help with that. I kept putting them off and everyone kept telling me to try them. CVS had them so I bought a bottle. Three days later the nag was gone. They've been in my morning routine now for half a year.

As someone being several years over, the "old at 65" comment... I can tell you a few things. Had my ankle replaced last year after 5 years of not being able to walk without terrible pain. Knees will be replaced this fall after haying season slows down as I do nearly all the tedding and raking. I agree that taking care of the joints, and everything that you HAVE, is preferable to replacing. I have all my own teeth, a few have crowns, but I also am very adamant about filling or fixing the ones rather than replace them. HOWEVER, the joints get abused when you are young and feel that you are bullet proof, and then when you get older, that abuse/damage comes home to roost. My joint problems have all been due to accidents/injuries..... once you injure a joint, it becomes the "weakest link".....
I have tried every natural/holistic treatment imaginable, as well as some conventional stuff, before deciding on the replacements. I know they are not perfect, but I will be in a wheelchair in a year if I don't replace the knees. Pain pills do nothing except make me light headed and nauseous. I know so many that have done real well with the replacements, yes, know others that have not. Much has to do with the rehab..... and how determined you are to make it work. There are other factors, but that is the biggest thing, determination to make them work as well as possible. It also has to do with doing your homework on the surgeon and facility.... It took me all the 5 years to find the doctor that did my ankle and I am thankful that I did all that research. I have been looking at knee replacement for nearly 10 years.... and have refused to go the route that I was not fully satisfied with. Now have total faith in the doctor and the newer procedure I am going to do. Going to do this while I can still have a very good prognosis for a complete recovery and very good use in the future. I want to get back to being more active, walking and getting that sort of exercise that I cannot even attempt right now. Lose the weight that is hard to take off with the decline in physical activity that requires weight bearing on the knees.
The ankle replacement does not have quite the range of motion that I want.... aggravating, but I am still working on getting all that the mechanical joint will do. PT laughs at me sometimes.... but has said that I have more use then they expected....
SO YES, take care of what you have, but accept that there are things that can make your life much better...... if you are willing to work at it.
I expect that I will be working on the farm for at least another 20 years....as long as my mind stays with me.... I will keep the body working to keep it as healthy as possible.

My Dad just turned 74 and can still hang with the best of them when it comes to working. Yesterday I hired 2 teenage boys to help me clean up root wads on new ground,my dad was supposed to just drive the 4 wheeler while we threw brush and roots on trailer, he would pull up and get off everytime and start picking stuff up. I bet I told him 20 times to just stay on the 4 wheeler and let us do the hard work. We had all started dragging butt about 7 hours into it so we knocked off for the day then I went and built fence another 2 hours. My point being my 74 year old Dad didn't give out before 2 teenage boys and I still had another 2 hours worth of work in me. When I start to feel old a day like that reassures me I'm not that old. My wife says I have short man syndrome, I can't ever let anyone outdo me, at the same time I know my limits for my age.

Your dad reminds me of my step dad. (He past last May) he was 79 he was always getting it. He rarely just rested. I believe that is an entire different generation. Pops had retired from owning a tire shop a year before. He would always be out there changing tires. We always fuss tell him let his employees do that, he say it has to be done.
I'm not saying 40 means you old and don't work or anything like that. Just saying 40 is over the hill. Your not young as your wants was.
Your comparing to teens today thats not meaning much. I'm sure there are some hard working ones but most are the give me entitled to generation.

I have a similar problem in my left shoulder, if I lay on it too long it'll wake me up hurting. I've had problems with it since I got thrown off a horse and landed it on it when I was 17. Last year I decided to rope a 4 month old calf while I was on foot and dally it to a tree, since that battle the shoulder has gotten worse. The trouble was the battle between where i roped it and that tree, it's amazing how they can go from calm to lunatic crazy when that rope hits them.

I had similar problems with my shoulder and numbness tingling in my right arm. I did epidural shots, don't recommend them. They give you something to put you down. I woke up during the procedure screaming feel like they were stabbing a screw driver in my neck. After that I had some major nervous damage. I had a doctor tell me I had M.S. I wouldn't walk within a year. Thank God it was a misdiagnosis. It turned out to be neuropathy nervous damage from the epidural shot.

I am 69 and have a few aches and pains. My balance and mobility sure isn't what it use to be but not enough to change my life much at all. With apologies to those suffering from pain. But I have broken 9 bones ranging from a toe to my back. I have dislocated both shoulders and an elbow. One shoulder so many times they had to operate on it to keep it in place. Destroyed the soft tissue in my calf on the right leg. First two doctors were going to cut it off at the knee. Took a chain saw across my shin that cut the bone about a quarter of the way. Had stitches 12-15 times. Lost track of how many times. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other. If you can do at 65 what you did at 25, you didn't do much at 25.
When I retired we sold out on the coast. Spent about 9 months in south central Washington before getting this place. During that time I helped a rancher for something to do. When we were buying this place some people asked him why at our age we were buying a 1,200 acre ranch. He told them, "if I have to explain it to you, you would never understand."

I am 69 and have a few aches and pains. My balance and mobility sure isn't what it use to be but not enough to change my life much at all. With apologies to those suffering from pain. But I have broken 9 bones ranging from a toe to my back. I have dislocated both shoulders and an elbow. One shoulder so many times they had to operate on it to keep it in place. Destroyed the soft tissue in my calf on the right leg. First two doctors were going to cut it off at the knee. Took a chain saw across my shin that cut the bone about a quarter of the way. Had stitches 12-15 times. Lost track of how many times. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other. If you can do at 65 what you did at 25, you didn't do much at 25.
When I retired we sold out on the coast. Spent about 9 months in south central Washington before getting this place. During that time I helped a rancher for something to do. When we were buying this place some people asked him why at our age we were buying a 1,200 acre ranch. He told them, "if I have to explain it to you, you would never understand."
I'll be able to retire from my day job if I want to in 11 more years as I'll have in my 28 years required, I'll be just shy of 51 if I retire then. Retirement to me looks alot different than what most envision, I'll work at something until the day I can't. I have alot of ideas as what I might do after I retire and they all involve work and making money, just with a little more freedom than I have now. Traveling and laying around the house all the time don't sound fun to me, some tell me I'm crazy and that I don't know what retirement is about. So @Dave I understand exactly why you bought a 1200 acre ranch after retirement, some of us are just a different breed of people who have to have something going to keep us happy.

I have no intention of "retiring" when I retire from milk testing... I am "semi-retired" now since each year it seems another one or 2 dairies sell out, and more are not testing every month like they used to. I am 67. Not ashamed to tell my age... it is a number... but except for the knees I don't feel "old." Like Dave, I can't do what I did at 25, but until the last few years of the ankle and knees, there wasn't much that stopped me. I want to keep on doing as much as I can, just not push 20 hr days like I used to. On a cold snowy freezing morning, I want to know that I don't have a dozen bottle calves to go feed or 2 or 3 cows to go hand milk. That any feeding I have to do instead of my son, can wait til a more reasonable hour or until the downpour lets up.... That I don't have to fit it in between work hours and all that. Hoping that once the knees get fixed that I can go back some and do more things, comfortably..... Helping get the cows in, tagging baby calves again, because I used to do nearly all the calving. Being able to work the gates in the barn without it killing me to be on my feet for more than 15 minutes at a stretch.
We'll see....

Here if you need dental work, don't have the money they like to just pull teeth. It's in the "water" people walking around with jacked up teeth. 😓

I've seen people need a few filling not have the money. They expect somebody else to pay for them or some how get them done for free. After some time the filling turn to much more. Same people that have money for cigarettes, lottery, pills, dope, everything else. If you can't figure it out I don't know what to say. Some people need to figure out what's important... apparently to some dope and stuff is more important than teeth. 😓💔

Latest posts