Brauvieh Breed??

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Braunvieh Beef Cattle? Never heard of them until I was them on the Cattle Show on RFDTV tonight. Anybody know anything about pros/cons. Tempermant, useful life of brood cows, etc. Are they a proven breed?
Feed conversions sounded good but, then again it is TV.

We had a half blood bull that was half charolais and he produced good doin, good lookin calves. Braunvieh is a breed that is known for maternal traits and it was evident in his daughters that it was true. I'd use a half blood again if it was out of a good angus bull that I approved of dont' know about a fullblood as I'd be weary of getting too many grey's that wouldn't sell worth a squirt here.

What part of WV you from? There's a farm around Culpeper here in VA that raises them, Mystic Hill Farm. I've been to a few of their sales. They also raise angus, the straight braunviehs are nice looking, calm animals. I've seen more than one of the half-bloods come through that would eat your lunch.

cfpinz

Like they said on the cattle show the tieds are turning and if you sell a muscular calf you are rewarded here, and hopfully there soon. I just sold my first 1/4 and 1/2's in three years and am sickend by the Angus alienation of the public!! Those people advirtised so much that anything else seems like crap! Even those people have to know there is somebody else behind the seens taking a big part of that profit like the breed org.??? I have seen Braunvieh X cattle at work and recommend them.

The Braunvieh originated from the Brown Swiss. The brown swiss was a dual purpose breed, but decided to split the dairy and beef sections resulting in the Dairy Swiss as the dairy animal and the Braunvieh as the beef animal.

In SA they are big framed well muscled milky animals very similar in build to the fleckvieh simmental.

If you search these forums for braunvieh you'll see them discussed several times

dun

:lol: Neighbor has a bull--- his kid won rate of gain with
one at the fair ( dam was an angus) Nice looking bull :D

We have quite a few braunveih/angus cows. They are great mothers and raise great calves. I've kept several heifers out of these cows and they are all big girls, and have been gentle and have great calves also.

I purchased a number of bred heifers a few years ago from the gentleman featured on RFD last evening. Still have them. Also have a number of angus cows. We breed everything to Braunvieh bulls. Like the calves. Braunvieh wean off heavier calves, are thicker, and yield grade much better. I feed out most every braunvieh calf as they are docked at the salebarn.

A friend of mine got into them about 12 years ago. He had a small herd and an $$ bull, and pulled calves consistently until he finally wised up and sold the bull. As cows they are good.. the ones he has left milk good and raise a beefy calf.

I have several fullbloods and several purebred with 1 fb bull and 15 calves from him with no calving trouble in 3 seasons(knock on wood) I would recommend this breed to anyone.

wlw

Thought I would try my luck at posting a picture. Look forward to reading comments.

ROB

IMAG0011.JPG