braunvieh or saler

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
wanting to see if anybody has used both of these breeds and wich did you like better.

We've bred a few cows to the Braunvieh bull Polled Plus. Really liked the calves' performance, phenotype, and disposition. The only thing I didn't like about the calves was how the market discounts the brown calves, though personally I think they are very attractive cattle to look at.

I've never tried Salers. I've heard enough folks complain about their poor disposition that I've never had enough interest to try them.

My only problem with Saler cattle is too much hair. They have too much hair for the deep south, other thatn that I don't know much about them. The saler cattle I have seen have a good bit more hair than the shorthorn cattle I am used to seeing. That might not be a problem in KY.

I don't have much experience with Braunvieh, but I like what I have seen. Pleanty of muscle, good growth, excellent milkers, the only problem seems to be their color.

cowboyup216 said:
Secondly braunviehs are hard calvers like any beef breed that was originally a dairy breed. quote]

As far As I know Braunvieh wer not oriniginally a dairy breed. They were dual purpose just like simmnetals. The dairy thing keeps comming up because in the US we took braunvieh cattle and selected for more and more milking attributes and created a dairy breed now called the Brown Swiss. However, to my knowledge braunvieh are not a daiy breed nor ever were.

When looking into a breed to buy, we asked both local large animal vets and the guy that hauls cattle everyday for the auction barn for their very experienced opinions. All 3 said Salers were nuts. I don't mean to bash any breed but we bought into a breed that we were assured had been improved in disposition, got stuck in WAY over our heads with INSANE cows and couldn;t wait to eat them, only animal on our farm i've ever felt that way about. Would hate to see someone invest in a breed and be disappointed. It may have been herd specific, just be SURE before you buy.

The main things that I have heard about Salers are very easy calvers,progeny grow quickly. Two comments I've heard are their disposition (I'm sure breeders have corrected that,remember Limousins weren't much good in the disposition stakes either) also they will crack up when things get a bit tough but then so do lots of other breeds that have been taken to areas that they aren't accustomed to.
Braunvieh don't hear much about them,there are a few breeders here in Australia. I would expect that they would make good calves and would be soft and sappy as a cross.

cowboyup216,

Sorry to offend you.

I find it very, very hard to believe that poor dispositions have been bred out of all the Salers. Herefords, Gelbviehs, and Shorthorns are some of the calmest cattle around, but you'll even find a nut case in those breeds from time to time.

Now you indicated that I put out mis information about Salers. Well, I feel that my information was very accurate. However, I find that your statement "braunviehs are hard calvers like any beef breed that was originally a dairy breed" is very misleading.

First of all, as Phillse pointed out, Braunvieh were not originally a dairy breed. Secondly, I have been around the cattle business for nearly 40 years and don't recall anyone every making the statement that all breeds that were originally dairy breeds are hard calving. That may be true for some breeds but not all (by the way Saler milk is well known in France for making cheese...I guess based on your criteria, Salers would be one of those hard calving dairy breeds). Finally, like in nearly all breeds, there are bulls the both the Saler and Braunvieh breeds that are easy calving and those that are not.

I also feel that your statement "you wont have any calving problems" fairly bold. I doubt that there is a breed anywhere on this earth that won't give a producer a calving problem from time to time. Maybe this statement is a bit misleading too.

Sorry we don't agree on this one cowboyup216.

The few Salers I've dealt with weren;t nuts, just kind of spookey. Other then one cow that would stalk my wife, I've been spooked by Salers stalking me. Not aggresively (I don;t think) just sneaking around behind you and watching intently. Limos are a different story, but I've seen a few dog gentle limo cattle and a couple of Herefords that were off the chart for nuts.

We have one braunvieh and we really like her. She is a great cow, never have calving problems, milks great and has the best disposition. The only drawback is they can throw some ugly colors.

2006_calves_005.jpg

2006_calves_024.jpg
[/img]

Latest posts