Braunvieh or Murray Grey?

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":34dfkdla said:
Wisteria Farms":34dfkdla said:
hillsdown":34dfkdla said:
Both are really good breeds and very showy.How many head are you going to have and what it the main goal for them?

I would simply like to find a breed that finishes well on grass, with a good disposition.

Murray Grey's are known for their ability to finish on grass(a fact I can attest to, having eaten quite a few of them over the years), their docility, their ease of calving due to low birthweights, the fact that the calves grow like crazy once they hit the ground, and they are also excellent mothers who milk very well. They are also just plain pretty to look at! :lol: :lol: We raised them since the mid to late 70's, but sold our herd last December.

Can I ask why you sold your herd? Was it due to profitability? Do you of any respectible breeders?

Both breeds are a good choice why not try a few head of each breed select which breed best suits your operation and requires the least amount of personal maintainance. I like the braunvieh breed there are some polled genetics out there, I also know their color can range from a vary from fawn to solid black with some with or with out some light highlights around the face. Braunvieh are making a good impact in the cattle industry in every aspect from club calves to cow calf operations. Good luck and hope it all works out well.

I will second the comments made by Ms Camp regarding
Murray Greys. We got our first set of heifers in 1995 and it
was the best decision we've made in developing our
direct-market grass fed beef program. For pictures
and info, see http://www.murraygrey.org or our farm site,
http://www.murraygrey.com. Most bloodlines in this breed have,
I believe, a genetic tendency for the tenderness genes.
They are as a rule exceptionally gentle natured. Here's
one of our spring 07 bull calves, pictured at 2 months
old:

DB__6.jpg

Good luck with your new venture!

Wisteria Farms":30eztqvm said:
msscamp":30eztqvm said:
Wisteria Farms":30eztqvm said:
hillsdown":30eztqvm said:
Both are really good breeds and very showy.How many head are you going to have and what it the main goal for them?

I would simply like to find a breed that finishes well on grass, with a good disposition.

Murray Grey's are known for their ability to finish on grass(a fact I can attest to, having eaten quite a few of them over the years), their docility, their ease of calving due to low birthweights, the fact that the calves grow like crazy once they hit the ground, and they are also excellent mothers who milk very well. They are also just plain pretty to look at! :lol: :lol: We raised them since the mid to late 70's, but sold our herd last December.

Can I ask why you sold your herd? Was it due to profitability? Do you of any respectible breeders?

Age, mainly, Dad is 76. It was time due to age related factors, and his reflexes not being what they used to be. Yes, we know respectable breeders. Where are you located?

msscamp":310u188s said:
Wisteria Farms":310u188s said:
msscamp":310u188s said:
Wisteria Farms":310u188s said:
hillsdown":310u188s said:

Age, mainly, Dad is 76. It was time due to age related factors, and his reflexes not being what they used to be. Yes, we know respectable breeders. Where are you located?

I thought (raising them from the 70's that might have been the case). We are located about 1/2 hour north of St. Louis. I don't mind traveling to get stock thats good quality (however I'd like to limit the shipping stress by not travelling too too far).
I appreciate anyone's input on some reputable breeders. Will also contact the Association. Thanks!!

OK Jeanne":1rvcav9c said:
I will second the comments made by Ms Camp regarding
Murray Greys. We got our first set of heifers in 1995 and it
was the best decision we've made in developing our
direct-market grass fed beef program. For pictures
and info, see http://www.murraygrey.org or our farm site,
http://www.murraygrey.com. Most bloodlines in this breed have,
I believe, a genetic tendency for the tenderness genes.
They are as a rule exceptionally gentle natured. Here's
one of our spring 07 bull calves, pictured at 2 months
old:

DB__6.jpg

Jeanne,
Nice bull calf! Thanks for your recommendation... I'm sold on the Murrays... its my husband that needs convincing. He wants a piedmontese bull to put on some red angus heifers. If history repeats... we'll wind up with Murrays...haha.

Good luck with your new venture!

cfpinz":155quvj6 said:
Jeanne - Is that a pygmy charlais??? :p

cfpinz

Note the dark nose and the "beefy" hindquarter----not
charlois!!

He shows promise and if continues, he will enjoy the company
of some heifers next spring breeding season. His name is
to be "Patron's Pride"---sire Rockliffe Patron and dam
OK Poppy. His grandam is the cow pictured up by my
name.

Wisteria can you find good reputable breeders of both choices and visit their facilities? You can get a close look at both breeds and they can tell you why their breed is the best.You can take all the info and go for what suits your needs best.Both are grass fed breeds and have many good aspects either one I don't think you can go wrong with.I have said before that I wanted to go into Braunvieh to begin with but unfortunately they are few and far between where I am.Braunvieh definitely doesn't get the recognition it deserves maybe you can help change that.

Jeanne that is one good looking animal.

hillsdown":20ei93r8 said:
Wisteria can you find good reputable breeders of both choices and visit their facilities? You can get a close look at both breeds and they can tell you why their breed is the best.You can take all the info and go for what suits your needs best.Both are grass fed breeds and have many good aspects either one I don't think you can go wrong with.I have said before that I wanted to go into Braunvieh to begin with but unfortunately they are few and far between where I am.Braunvieh definitely doesn't get the recognition it deserves maybe you can help change that.

Jeanne that is one good looking animal.

I'm sure I can. Thats a good idea... We have two sets of friends (one bigtime Angus and the other bigtime Shorthorn)... I'm sure they can help us (along with internet searches through the breed associations). I'm leaning toward Murray Grey. I know Braunviehs are getting a good rep' in carcass classes... just don't know if I want to deal with horns. I like the Murrays supposed good disposition. Thanks.

Best of luck and please let us know what you decide and post pics of your favorite girls that you have decided to start with.

hillsdown":9y4y0hlm said:
Best of luck and please let us know what you decide and post pics of your favorite girls that you have decided to start with.

Will Do. (If I can learn how to post pictures!haha) Thanks!

Where are you at in Illinois, I'm in central Ill just south of Springfield. I ve got a few Braunvieh ( none for sale yet) if you are close?

Jason W":143uw49y said:
Where are you at in Illinois, I'm in central Ill just south of Springfield. I ve got a few Braunvieh ( none for sale yet) if you are close?

Thanks for contacting me... I've decided to go with the Murray Grey breed. I like them as well as Braunvieh but the Braun's have horns and I have kids. I haven't bought anything yet so if you'd like to tell me about your herd I may still consider as crossing Murrays and Braunvieh's would take the horns off the Braunviehs. I am in Jerseyville. THANKS!

I think you would really like the MG we bought a MG to put on our black angus heifers and we could do anything with that bull his calves were all calm and easy to work. We never had to put the bull in a chute. We had him 3 years and we wormed him and everything right in the field. But I will say that sometimes he was a pest because he would just stand there and look at you if we were moving the cows. Or trying to run them into the pen's he would get right in the way. But if you want something calm they are great. Also have a couple heifers out of him and they seem to be great momma cows so far. Good luck with whatever you get.

I have kids too, and would prefer they not have horns, but they can be taken off. There are some homozygus polled genetics out there, I have some semen I will use that is polled, but most of the polled genetics is black, and I like the traditional color better. Plus I think if you lose the horns, you have to be careful what else you lose with them. I work over there around you sometimes, and know some people over there. There is a lady down in Godfrey that has a heard of Braunvieh too, I have never met her, but I see where she buys and sells at one of the sales in Missouri. feel free to give me a call 217 625 2506

Jason W":qdowfhk5 said:
I have kids too, and would prefer they not have horns, but they can be taken off. There are some homozygus polled genetics out there, I have some semen I will use that is polled, but most of the polled genetics is black, and I like the traditional color better. Plus I think if you lose the horns, you have to be careful what else you lose with them. I work over there around you sometimes, and know some people over there. There is a lady down in Godfrey that has a heard of Braunvieh too, I have never met her, but I see where she buys and sells at one of the sales in Missouri. feel free to give me a call 217 625 2506

Thanks! Question, how big are your cows? (their average weight).