Braunvieh or Murray Grey?

Help Support CattleToday:

Wisteria Farms

Reaction score
Help! We're wanting to raise a beef herd... no Shorthorns, Black Angus, or Herefords... they're too common here and the showring competition is too stiff. Want something with nice disposition as my kids will be handling them also. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!

Both are really good breeds and very showy.How many head are you going to have and what it the main goal for them?

Wisteria Farms":18ke1u0j said:
Help! We're wanting to raise a beef herd... no Shorthorns, Black Angus, or Herefords... they're too common here and the showring competition is too stiff. Want something with nice disposition as my kids will be handling them also. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
theres a reason their common. as you'll find out at the sale barn. but either one of those breeds you mentioned would work....good luck

There are lots of things to take into consideration when you are planning on buying cattle. How acreage, climate, marketing value. What do you plan to do with them in the long run?

Wisteria Farms":3ai421n6 said:
Is your primary purpose to benefit your kids with responsibility, self-discipline and knowledge? If so, ANY breed will work. If your main goal is to WIN, at all costs, you are missing out on the economic end of Beef Production. To satisfy BOTH goals, you might look around for a Beef Breed which will be rather unknown in your area, and still possess acceptable genetic traits, along with good phenotype, which can be used in the future for a good income-producing business. There are a lot of them out there!

DOC HARRIS

Even though Im biased towards MGs, I really do like Braunvieh as well. As far as I know the Braunvieh are just as quiet as MGs, but are a good deal larger (here anyway) - perhaps something you may want to consider if your kids are young? I'm not sure about where you live but here in Australia MGs are significantly easier to obtain than Braunvieh.

Good luck with it and hope you and your children enjoy whichever breed you decide.

hillsdown":qc8gvqnf said:
Both are really good breeds and very showy.How many head are you going to have and what it the main goal for them?

The main goal is market beef HOWEVER... we own a construction company... so this is not being done to make a living, this is our "release". We have raised crossbred Simmental/Angus & Simmental/Hereford. I would simply like to find a breed that finishes well on grass, with a good disposition. I would rather my kids be in AOB classes presenting a really nice animal rather than going against local "big names"....How many head? I'm thinking around 7-10 cows. Have a Shorthorn friend who can do AI for me. Thanks!

brahma_show_girl":1v3tz3eu said:
There are lots of things to take into consideration when you are planning on buying cattle. How acreage, climate, marketing value. What do you plan to do with them in the long run?

Thanks! Brahma's are beautiful... just don't like the idea of horns around the kids! We are in Southern Illinois... winters arent too bad. Acreage... I have 25 acres, 3 barns, do my own hay. As far as marketing value... I'm no expert... I'll be researching that however I've read good things about carcass weights of Braunvieh crosses.

Braunviehs are largely horned. Very few polled genetics.

If you like MG's may I suggest Durham Reds. They are practically the same. Just a color difference.

Santas are in Colorado. Actually Cherokee Ranch in Sedalia Colorado is a fairly respectable breeder. Used to be owned by Tweet Kimball until she died.

DOC HARRIS":8jqum9x2 said:
Wisteria Farms":8jqum9x2 said:
Is your primary purpose to benefit your kids with responsibility, self-discipline and knowledge? If so, ANY breed will work. If your main goal is to WIN, at all costs, you are missing out on the economic end of Beef Production. To satisfy BOTH goals, you might look around for a Beef Breed which will be rather unknown in your area, and still possess acceptable genetic traits, along with good phenotype, which can be used in the future for a good income-producing business. There are a lot of them out there!

Dear Doc, I realize any breed will work, and NO my main goal is NOT to win at all costs. I have witnessed families with that attitude... steers kept in coolers and then brought out into 90+ degree weather... slitting the hoof to produce lameness... being ACED until they are a slobbery mess...etc. So, I am doing just what you suggest... the Murrays and Braunvieh are NOT common here. They are the two breeds I read to have very good dispositions which is why they're being considered... I want my kids to enjoy raising/showing their cattle...not be overwhelmed by their size/attitude. Out of curiosity, what breed(s) do you raise?

DOC HARRIS

Santas and Duhram Reds":3qt7c1zt said:
Braunviehs are largely horned. Very few polled genetics.

If you like MG's may I suggest Durham Reds. They are practically the same. Just a color difference.

Santas are in Colorado. Actually Cherokee Ranch in Sedalia Colorado is a fairly respectable breeder. Used to be owned by Tweet Kimball until she died.

Thanks. I know the Braunviehs are horned but read there were polled strains (which is what I was going to go after if I decided on that breed). I haven't heard of Santa's and Durham Reds... will look into it. Thanks.

Braunviehs are not uniform either. Color can be all over the place and many criticize them b/c they consider them to be a Brown Swiss.

Sounds like you are more interested in showing than anything else. Maybe you should consider which breed offers you the most resources such as local breeder offerings, etc. Braunvieh are going to have higher calving weights, but they will also probably offer higher weaning weights.

Braunvieh carcasses have performed very well in shows across America. One VERY good breeder of Braunvieh is Matt Alexander in Appleton City Missouri. I have seen his cattle and he is very much a steer man. I don't think there is a major carcass show he hasn't won. Ron McBee is another good Braunvieh breeder in Fayette Missouri. McBee can be pricey but he offers a lot of services to those who buy his cattle. He has an excellent buy back program. I just can't justify 2000 dollars on an OPEN heifer. Or at least not a Braunvieh heifer for what I would use her for.

Sorry I don't know any MG breeders to refer you to.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3edfdgpo said:
Santas are Santa Gertrudis. They are America's oldest breed.
Brahman x Shorthorn.

Durham Reds, like MG, are Shorthorn x Red Angus instead of Black Angus

Thanks Aaron... Our county fair is going on and I swear I saw Braunvieh's being shown Dairy... (noticed mousy cows with white ring around the mouth as I drove by). If I'd had time I'd stopped and asked who the breeder was. You've given me lots of info... thanks.

Wisteria Farms":292bwrf9 said:
Santas and Duhram Reds":292bwrf9 said:
Santas are Santa Gertrudis. They are America's oldest breed.
Brahman x Shorthorn.

Durham Reds, like MG, are Shorthorn x Red Angus instead of Black Angus

Thanks Aaron... Our county fair is going on and I swear I saw Braunvieh's being shown Dairy... (noticed mousy cows with white ring around the mouth as I drove by). If I'd had time I'd stopped and asked who the breeder was. Were they possibly Brown Swiss? You've given me lots of info... thanks.

braunviehs wouldnt be shown dairy. it must have been brown swiss. jerseys have similar coloring too.

Wisteria Farms":2s09f0pf said:
hillsdown":2s09f0pf said:

I would simply like to find a breed that finishes well on grass, with a good disposition.

Murray Grey's are known for their ability to finish on grass(a fact I can attest to, having eaten quite a few of them over the years), their docility, their ease of calving due to low birthweights, the fact that the calves grow like crazy once they hit the ground, and they are also excellent mothers who milk very well. They are also just plain pretty to look at! :lol: :lol: We raised them since the mid to late 70's, but sold our herd last December.

Wisteria Farms":2y35gl8u said:
brahma_show_girl":2y35gl8u said:

Thanks! Brahma's are beautiful... just don't like the idea of horns around the kids! We are in Southern Illinois... winters arent too bad. Acreage... I have 25 acres, 3 barns, do my own hay. As far as marketing value... I'm no expert... I'll be researching that however I've read good things about carcass weights of Braunvieh crosses.

There are polled brahmans and just like with any breed you can get them surgically dehorned or you may find someone to scoop them at a young age.