Brass Monkey

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Those balls are rolling off the "Brass Monkey". It is setting up as a record cold January. We haven't seen anything like this since my dear ancestors were eating Mastodons at the end of the Pleistocene. Maybe we are headed toward another ice age. They got close to where I live. The Ohio River was formed by the melting front of the continental ice mass.
5vyr9f.jpg

The issue of Global warming is political if anyone still has not figured that out. The climate of the world has changed as a result of plate tectonics (continental drift), volcanic gases spewed into the atmosphere, etc. for eons. There were tropical swamps in Wyoming. There are fossils of reptiles in Antactica. Of course, the academic community does not want to discount the creation of a myth if it is created by those who fund their research. And that is being pragmatic!!!

There is a ridge that runs East to West about 400 yards South of my place that marks the Southern edge of the glaciers from the last ice age. But it doesn't look like a new one coming here. It has been a very mild January.

inyati13":12efttwh said:
The issue of Global warming is political if anyone still has not figured that out. The climate of the world has changed as a result of plate tectonics (continental drift), volcanic gases spewed into the atmosphere, etc. for eons. There were tropical swamps in Wyoming. There are fossils of reptiles in Antactica. Of course, the academic community does not want to discount the creation of a myth if it is created by those who fund their research. And that is being pragmatic!!!
My sentiments exactly Ron. In Australia the scientific community is not that well paid and have to seek out funding for their projects and tend to go from one source of funding to another. The government money being thrown at them for research on climate change has been a massive boost to them.
I dealt with research all my working life that drug reps flaunted that always favoured the new drug they were peddling and was unkind to the oppositions product yet the opposition could produce similar research saying how good their product was. This showed me that depending on who was paying the bills research could be slanted their way.
Ken

Illinois can't get any flatter, so I guess another glacier won't hurt.

Time to get that penguin ranch started up.

TennesseeTuxedo":2vt4naky said:
sim.-ang.king":2vt4naky said:
Illinois can't get any flatter, so I guess another glacier won't hurt.

Time to get that penguin ranch started up.

You rang?

Send me 10 of your best rock hopper females, and a nice King male.
Going to start a new breed of penguin, and call it the "King of the Rock".

wbvs58":3lrlhz19 said:
inyati13":3lrlhz19 said:
My sentiments exactly Ron. In Australia the scientific community is not that well paid and have to seek out funding for their projects and tend to go from one source of funding to another. The government money being thrown at them for research on climate change has been a massive boost to them.
I dealt with research all my working life that drug reps flaunted that always favoured the new drug they were peddling and was unkind to the oppositions product yet the opposition could produce similar research saying how good their product was. This showed me that depending on who was paying the bills research could be slanted their way.
Ken
Shame how that works. Since I went to college in the 1970s, the academic community has become a solid left/democrat/liberal block. I remember professors in my day who were conservative. Not anymore. They all understand who "butters their bread". Not any surprise to me. I have friends who are now full professors who have gone completely to the left. Hard to spend time with them without the aggravation of dealing in politics. My son is an example. I would say I am conservative in fiscal matters and the tenets of the constitution but probably more liberal in social matters. My son picked that up from me but after 12 years in academia, he is much more planted on the left. But hey, isn't hard to understand. A guy once told me people are simple; they are motivated by "gut, crotch and backpocket."

inyati13":1wdyp4u0 said:
Of course, the academic community does not want to discount the creation of a myth if it is created by those who fund their research. And that is being pragmatic!!!

I completely agree with you on this Ron and it burns me up! Everybody knows Al Gore has gotten rich off of this lie, but it's much bigger than All Gore. There is a political agenda behind most of the environmental bills that go through Washington and the environment is the least of their concerns. My question is, if they can sway or control academia and the scientific community like they have with this issue then what else have they gotten them to lie to us about.

Deepsouth":1v1vhyh1 said:
inyati13":1v1vhyh1 said:
Of course, the academic community does not want to discount the creation of a myth if it is created by those who fund their research. And that is being pragmatic!!!

I completely agree with you on this Ron and it burns me up! Everybody knows Al Gore has gotten rich off of this lie, but it's much bigger than All Gore. There is a political agenda behind most of the environmental bills that go through Washington and the environment is the least of their concerns. My question is, if they can sway or control academia and the scientific community like they have with this issue then what else have they gotten them to lie to us about.
Like everything else, there are always two sides. Lie is a strong word. But data can be manipulated in its presentation to support an inaccurate conclusion. The motive may be money or politics. Money is the motive in what Ken is speaking to above in regard to drug research and development. In the example I used, politics is the motive. I am sure there are many examples of scientist/academic leaders that have traded their objectivity for being advocates.

inyati13":3opo0me0 said:
Deepsouth":3opo0me0 said:
inyati13":3opo0me0 said:

Lie is a strong word. But data can be manipulated in its presentation to support an inaccurate conclusion.
If that's not a lie then what is it? You know how I feel about the truth.

Deepsouth":343ttyle said:
inyati13":343ttyle said:
Deepsouth":343ttyle said:
Lie is a strong word. But data can be manipulated in its presentation to support an inaccurate conclusion.
If that's not a lie then what is it? You know how I feel about the truth.
Not everyone is George Washington, "I cannot tell a lie, I chopped down the cherry tree."

Deepsouth":k9vsjlk1 said:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=did%20george%20washington%20cut%20down%20the%20cherry%20tree&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.todayifoundout.com%2Findex.php%2F2013%2F09%2Fgeorge-washington-never-chopped-down-a-cherry-tree%2F&ei=XJzrUoKbEcK6yQGXj4HQCg&usg=AFQjCNFJlCqgp6dJEo0kZfirSW8wWFgo1A&bvm=bv.60444564,d.aWc

Deepsouth, just provides more testiment that one should not believe anything you cannot weigh, measure, or pick-up.

Ronald Reagan once wrote that an Iroquois Indian, Princess Cherry Hatchet chopped down Augustine Washington's cherry tree.

There are people who manufacture false truths ( lies) but these are only perceived truths. Not all perceived truths are false but they must be proven to be absolute truth. Absolute truth does exist. It was once believed that the world was flat. That was a perceived truth that was proven to be false. The real truth was the world is a sphere. It always was round even when it was perceived to be flat and that is the absolute truth.
I cannot see, touch, hear, smell or taste gravity. However I can see the effects of gravity so I do know that gravity is a truth of the laws of physics. Truth does exist. There is even absolute moral truth and that can be proven also.

Deepsouth":fts8j1nk said:
There are people who manufacture false truths ( lies) but these are only perceived truths. Not all perceived truths are false but they must be proven to be absolute truth. Absolute truth does exist. It was once believed that the world was flat. That was a perceived truth that was proven to be false. The real truth was the world is a sphere. It always was round even when it was perceived to be flat and that is the absolute truth.
I cannot see, touch, hear, smell or taste gravity. However I can see the effects of gravity so I do know that gravity is a truth of the laws of physics. Truth does exist. There is even absolute moral truth and that can be proven also.

Well said.

Latest posts