Will a metal detector hit on brass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
Better yet, they be set to discriminate between different alloys (of course different models have different features). I bought an Ace 250 last year for fun, although it has come in very handy on the farm; like when I'm working on a tractor in the field, and drop something. If I'm to drunk to see, I just get the metal detector out and tell the kids to go find it. They love it. And I have another beer while I watch :lol2:
Actually, it has been a very fun and usefull tool. I take the kids over to some old house places, or the lake, and we find all sorts of stuff. I love watching the expressions on their face when they are using it and get a "hit". Ain't much better than watching an excited kid dig in the dirt, for who knows what. Like opening a Christmas present. We found a stash of indian head pennies one time.

OP
Kathie in Thorp

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Ouachita":3n1le5i7 said:
Better yet, they be set to discriminate between different alloys (of course different models have different features). I bought an Ace 250 last year for fun, although it has come in very handy on the farm; like when I'm working on a tractor in the field, and drop something. If I'm to drunk to see, I just get the metal detector out and tell the kids to go find it. They love it. And I have another beer while I watch :lol2:
Actually, it has been a very fun and usefull tool. I take the kids over to some old house places, or the lake, and we find all sorts of stuff. I love watching the expressions on their face when they are using it and get a "hit". Ain't much better than watching an excited kid dig in the dirt, for who knows what. Like opening a Christmas present. We found a stash of indian head pennies one time.
I'm not looking for pennies. Ya know how sometimes you just get a "gut feeling" ?? Will have her looked at this evening or early tomorrow morning, but my new MT British White cow (she's been here 6 wks. or so) came up very lame yesterday on her right front, and I don't see any obvious signs of anything busted. First thing that came to my little mind was a shell casing from pasture target shooting that might have gotten up in her hoof. Regardless of what is diagnosed, I think shell casings in the pasture need to be gone. Some of the firearms my guys shoot pitch casings a long way -- not just in one spot. I'm not a happy camper today. :cry:

OP
Kathie in Thorp

Kathie in Thorp

Reaction score
Ouachita":208kdwdy said:
Oh, I've never thought about using it on cattle. I guess another application doesn't hurt. Good luck
Ouachita, not thinking of using it to diagnose a cattle foot problem -- just in getting rid of potential problems in the pasture.

danl

Reaction score
The vet I go to has a metal detector hanging in his corral, I never can remember to ask him if he uses it on cattle. Would it detect hardware in a cow?

dun

Reaction score
The cheapo one I have can;t detect a full roll of barbwire even if it's setting on it in the open
I've heard storys about it being used to tell if a cow has wired but it would be seriously affected by all the variables. If it found it I would say that it has definitly wired, if it doesn;'t detect it I would think that maybe it just missed it.