Brangus vs Braford

Help Support CattleToday:

Bfields30":3urjk2h1 said:
Pros and Cons that you guys feel why you like one more then the other.

I prefer Braford over Brangus for the simple reason change the bull change the color of the calf crop.
Black, yellow or red baldies all sale well with the hybred vigor you get.
With the Angus,Char or Hereford bull you will get a calf that mashes the scales and will grade.
The Brangus you have a black or smoke calf.
You will pay more for the Braford here
if they are F-1's.
I have owned both and other than my color preference I like them both equally.

:shock: I agree with CB
Braford gives you many options and across the board their more valuable.
Not knocking brangus I've got plenty and their great. But I place a little more value in the braford.

If we're talking about an F1 Bradford verses brangus. The edge goes to brangus here for me. Smaller percentage of Brahman, and easier for the calf to get in a graded pen.

Bradford vs Brangus is a toss up. Both have 3/8 Brahman so its about the same there. Brangus are easier to come across. You can run Hereford or Angus Bulls. I think the Char bulls do better across Bradford than Brangus.

If you are talking F1 Brangus vs F1 Bradford they will be 1/2 Brahman you will pay more for the Bradford if they start tiger striping. Again, I think the Char bulls do better on the Bradford than the Brangus.

We have both also. I can't say one is better than the other but as CB said, I do like the flexibility of the Bradford. As a general rule I like to sell the blacks and keep the reds.

When I had Brahman I'd rotate from using a Hereford bull to a Simmental.. Bred the F1's to the simm bull at the same time,man those simm. calves outa of the F1 would bust the springs on the scale...

Brute 23":1gadu0uo said:
Bradford vs Brangus is a toss up. Both have 3/8 Brahman so its about the same there. Brangus are easier to come across. You can run Hereford or Angus Bulls. I think the Char bulls do better across Bradford than Brangus.

If you are talking F1 Brangus vs F1 Bradford they will be 1/2 Brahman you will pay more for the Bradford if they start tiger striping. Again, I think the Char bulls do better on the Bradford than the Brangus.

We have both also. I can't say one is better than the other but as CB said, I do like the flexibility of the Bradford. As a general rule I like to sell the blacks and keep the reds.

From a money stand point would you say selling bradfords calves would bring more money? Because I am interested in both but I am looking towards as starting off breeding bradfords and selling the calves at weaning for the first couple of years just from research they sell high as bred heifers or sell high as pairs

The only way to raise F1 Bradford heifers is to also raise F1 bulls/steers. That's expensive.

Bigfoot":1lrvgu9c said:
The only way to raise F1 Bradford heifers is to also raise F1 bulls/steers. That's expensive.
AI and sexed semon! (Still expensive!)

ez14.":2x2z4f9y said:
Bigfoot":2x2z4f9y said:

Sexed semen is probably not a viable option.

Bigfoot":2w8k0nuh said:
ez14.":2w8k0nuh said:
Bigfoot":2w8k0nuh said:

A lot of reasons not to do it! But why do you think it's not a viable option?

ez14.":2kvtk5zr said:
Bigfoot":2kvtk5zr said:
ez14.":2kvtk5zr said:

I have looked in to it on my kids cows. I figured their herd would grow faster that way. Conception rates are considerably lower.

Bigfoot":125rg9m8 said:
ez14.":125rg9m8 said:
Bigfoot":125rg9m8 said:

I have looked in to it on my kids cows. I figured their herd would grow faster that way. Conception rates are considerably lower.
true the AI techs around here prefer to use it mainly on heifers! But I've heard it's getting better!

ez14.":1f7e1stw said:
Bigfoot":1f7e1stw said:
ez14.":1f7e1stw said:

true the AI techs around here prefer to use it mainly on heifers! But I've heard it's getting better!

I also think AI serves little purpose in a commercial herd.

Bigfoot":2cdpf0oj said:
ez14.":2cdpf0oj said:
Bigfoot":2cdpf0oj said:

I also think AI serves little purpose in a commercial herd.
Now I'd say that is true for a lot of herds but I think there is a place even in commercial cattle for AI

Bfields30":2gan7jm9 said:
Brute 23":2gan7jm9 said:

From a money stand point would you say selling bradfords calves would bring more money? Because I am interested in both but I am looking towards as starting off breeding bradfords and selling the calves at weaning for the first couple of years just from research they sell high as bred heifers or sell high as pairs

That would depend on your area and market. If you don't mind sharing the general area where you are located it would help with specifics.

Latest posts