Brangus vs Braford

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":8u33h7ws said:
ez14.":8u33h7ws said:
Bigfoot":8u33h7ws said:
I have looked in to it on my kids cows. I figured their herd would grow faster that way. Conception rates are considerably lower.
true the AI techs around here prefer to use it mainly on heifers! But I've heard it's getting better!

I also think AI serves little purpose in a commercial herd.
Why do you think that way? I think just the opposite, a good proven bull is readily available of any breed for any job. I think sex sorted semen is the best way to produce top quality replacements.

True Grit Farms":3set6xff said:
Bigfoot":3set6xff said:
ez14.":3set6xff said:
true the AI techs around here prefer to use it mainly on heifers! But I've heard it's getting better!

I also think AI serves little purpose in a commercial herd.
Why do you think that way? I think just the opposite, a good proven bull is readily available of any breed for any job. I think sex sorted semen is the best way to produce top quality replacements.

A host of reasons. I've already got bulls here. They know more about getting a cow pregnant than I do. I have observed, that my AI calves are indescernable from my other calves. With crossbred commercial cows, the only possible outcome, would be an improved heifer to keep for a cow. A steer/bull is just money for nothing. Time/space/and resources--------seems to tie up all three of those.

Brute 23":37yhowcj said:
Bfields30":37yhowcj said:
Brute 23":37yhowcj said:
Bradford vs Brangus is a toss up. Both have 3/8 Brahman so its about the same there. Brangus are easier to come across. You can run Hereford or Angus Bulls. I think the Char bulls do better across Bradford than Brangus.

If you are talking F1 Brangus vs F1 Bradford they will be 1/2 Brahman you will pay more for the Bradford if they start tiger striping. Again, I think the Char bulls do better on the Bradford than the Brangus.

We have both also. I can't say one is better than the other but as CB said, I do like the flexibility of the Bradford. As a general rule I like to sell the blacks and keep the reds.

From a money stand point would you say selling bradfords calves would bring more money? Because I am interested in both but I am looking towards as starting off breeding bradfords and selling the calves at weaning for the first couple of years just from research they sell high as bred heifers or sell high as pairs

That would depend on your area and market. If you don't mind sharing the general area where you are located it would help with specifics.
Winnsboro Tx at the moment at least for another year or so and I'll be moving back to the gulf coast brazoria coutny area

Bfields30":o7s33bpa said:
Brute 23":o7s33bpa said:
Bfields30":o7s33bpa said:
From a money stand point would you say selling bradfords calves would bring more money? Because I am interested in both but I am looking towards as starting off breeding bradfords and selling the calves at weaning for the first couple of years just from research they sell high as bred heifers or sell high as pairs

That would depend on your area and market. If you don't mind sharing the general area where you are located it would help with specifics.
Winnsboro Tx at the moment at least for another year or so and I'll be moving back to the gulf coast brazoria coutny area

What little dock you may get on braford steers will be made up for plus on the heifers. Like I said earlier. Across the board the braford has more value.

Having used both over the years , their was never much difference. Cover the Bradford's with a full blood Limi and the Brangus with a black Limi. Granted other bull breeds might give you a few more pounds, but nothing other than a full blood Chianina will compare to cleaning up the leather that a Limi bull will.

Both work equally well as great cows but in my opinion the f1 Bradford is easier to handle : also the f1 bulls seems to be a little more docile but the f1 brangus bull will command top dollar in special sales : over the last 3 years in the setica sale in Beaumont a f1 brangus and one of my f1 brafords have tied for second highest selling bulls and we are talking about some outstanding reg. Hereford, angus, charolais,brangus ,and simmie bulls. It all depends on your region as the f1heifers will sell anywhere where the f1 bulls are made for the Gulf coast where the purebred bulls will not hold up in the marsh. Had a call from rancher from far west Texas wanting some Bradford bulls to put on corriente cows ( said they work great out west) so imo whatever works for you in your region is all that matters

Latest posts