Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Going on a mature animal, possibly down to may 550-600 pounds, that will probably be fine. A young animal, and that might grow to biblical proportions.

ALACOWMAN":s89yscib said:
Jake":s89yscib said:
We use electric irons for our ranch brand and for number brands. The number brands are only work so so, they could be bigger to read easier.
. Are the numbered ones already made up?

yeah they came in a set 0-8 three numbers to an iron. I think they are LH brand irons. They could be a couple inches taller to make them more legible. They work really good for the first year but they can be hard to read in the winter.

We tried freeze branding one year with liquid nitrogen and didn't get very good results. Our chute isn't good enough to keep them still enough for it to work.

I use an electric branding iron I from Husky. That and some extension cord works fine. It is a 4 inch brand. Not too big on calves and big enough on mature animals. it is a simple N over a bar on the right hip. That is the side I work from at the chute and the calf table. And for calves thrown down by hand it just feels right to have them right side up. Throwing calves down from the left side just feels wrong to me.

etmountianman71":1y6jrzcg said:
The freeze branding seems to be the way to go. I am looking into this myself.

:nod: Ours looks good, and is pretty easy. We do not have a squeeze chute, but we can open the side door and squeeze with our body.... I think they bounce less

M5, we used to have a freeze branding business. Your brand is really large. We had 3 inch and 4 inch numbers that were used on cattle. The 3 inch on calves. I had alphabets in 1 inch 2 inch and 3 inch.

The largest brand that we did and have on our horses is 4 inch x 4 inch. A 4 inch or smaller looks best on fully grown horses.

This is my brand. Al of our irons were made by L&H. It will fit in a 4x4 box.

On a cow left on long enough to kill the follicles

sunny.JPG

on a grey horse left on long enough to kill the follicles

maid.JPG

On a horse, left on long enough to make a white brand

cd.JPG

and our oldest daughter's brand (also will fit in a 4" x 4" box)

MVC-001F.JPG

Cut the top off and old propane cylinder lined it with fire/ heat resistant wool . Heated it up cherry red real quick. I'm gonna make another smaller one and see how it works. The large one did well on a piece of wood.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1kxh03db said:
etmountianman71":1kxh03db said:

:nod: Ours looks good, and is pretty easy. We do not have a squeeze chute, but we can open the side door and squeeze with our body.... I think they bounce less

More power to you. There is no way I'm opening the side door and trying to hold our heifers. But I would guess yours are much tamer than ours

Bigfoot":2bj6p8fb said:
Going on a mature animal, possibly down to may 550-600 pounds, that will probably be fine. A young animal, and that might grow to biblical proportions.

:nod: I think you could cut those proportions in half and it would be about right :)

Local place sells both hot irons and electric branders. The hot irons are made locally with stainless figures. Common figures/numbers are kept in stock. Special/uncommon designs, give them a week or two.

They also sell a good store-bought dual burner branding stove. Heats evenly and stays lit on a windy day.

Jake":4yv3h451 said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":4yv3h451 said:
etmountianman71":4yv3h451 said:

More power to you. There is no way I'm opening the side door and trying to hold our heifers. But I would guess yours are much tamer than ours

Hehe, got a point Jake! Ours are pretty tame.

The one advantage to some type of oven to heat up the irons is it can serve a dual purpose. I have ate more than one rocky mountain oyster that was cooked on top of the brand iron oven.

Dave":28p58h2j said:
The one advantage to some type of oven to heat up the irons is it can serve a dual purpose. I have ate more than one rocky mountain oyster that was cooked on top of the brand iron oven.

You, good kind sir, are a beast and much more of a true cowboy than I will ever be.

My :hat: 's off to you.

:tiphat:

Dave":2ixgwf2q said:

:yuck: :frowns: :yuck:

Dave":32i3mlbs said:

You cook em?

3waycross":5rolqf2d said:
Dave":5rolqf2d said:

You cook em?

Only medium rare.

Jake":nary2lsm said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":nary2lsm said:
etmountianman71":nary2lsm said:

That's what I was thinking Jake. I've got a few of these sale barn girls that will growl at you. If they can get to you they will do more than growl.

Latest posts