Branding

Help Support CattleToday:

Freeze branding is not easy, and far from it. A hot iron will get the job done right now, put it to them and rock it twice. Freeze branding has a lot of steps and takes along time. It's the stink of the hair and the wail of the cow or calf that most folks can't handle.

highgrit":1s17ats4 said:
Freeze branding is not easy, and far from it. A hot iron will get the job done right now, put it to them and rock it twice. Freeze branding has a lot of steps and takes along time. It's the stink of the hair and the wail of the cow or calf that most folks can't handle.

Your opinion, that is fine. But I have done both, and prefer the freeze branding. The brand shows up better, and though it takes a few minutes longer in the chute, you see it all year long, no matter what kind of coat the animal has. So for us, it IS easy! I guess that depends on your definition of easy.
Another point I think the poster was getting at; is it more painful to have a wart froze off or heal from a burn? Myself, I would much rather have a wart froze off, then deal with the pain associated with a burn.

Got my first experience hot branding yesterday. The branding itself was not too difficult to grasp. Keeping the irons hot was an issue. It was a very windy day which made keeping propane torch going difficult. Were branding various ID numbers to yearling heifers and bulls.

Here in Mt. May & June there is a branding every day, that it don't rain. 99% 0f all calves born are hot iron branded, vaccinated ,steers cut and whatever the owner wants done for the year. It is quite often a community event and one of the spring social's. Hot iron brand's are the possitive claim of ownership in most western states. It is highly recomended that the face of the iron be at least 1/2 inch and at least 4in for calves and 6in for older cattle. Branding is a art and is usually applied by a family member. Most operators are proud of their brands and really try to make a neat and clean mark. It is only recently that electric irons have been used but oldtimers laugh about them as most don't make a good readable brand as the face of a electric iron is not big enough. Hard to read especially in open country or from a horse.

Beef Man":3c9y495n said:
Here in Mt. May & June there is a branding every day, that it don't rain. 99% 0f all calves born are hot iron branded, vaccinated ,steers cut and whatever the owner wants done for the year. It is quite often a community event and one of the spring social's. Hot iron brand's are the possitive claim of ownership in most western states. It is highly recomended that the face of the iron be at least 1/2 inch and at least 4in for calves and 6in for older cattle. Branding is a art and is usually applied by a family member. Most operators are proud of their brands and really try to make a neat and clean mark. It is only recently that electric irons have been used but oldtimers laugh about them as most don't make a good readable brand as the face of a electric iron is not big enough. Hard to read especially in open country or from a horse.

Old timers have a tendency to laugh about dam near everything new. All electric irons are not created equal. They do come in different wire sizes.

Not only not all branding irons are created equal, not all brands are created equal. Some are just more difficult by design.

Personally, I would never have a shoulder brand. Helped wrassle calves for a guy with a shoulder brand when I was younger and it kind of soured me on that location.

Most rib and hip brands are good. Some hip brands natually are better than others for the location. A good brand can be worth $1K or more.

Nieghbor had a good 2 figure electric iron for his LH brand. The brand was a "96" connected with the 6 directly under the 9. Was a smooth brand and went on easy. The iron itself performed well. Round heating element would not break the skin.

I still own a RR double figure brand I haven't used for 20 years. Would make a great electric iron because a single J iron would do it. First J goes on upside down. Then a horizontal J (tip the J 90 degrees to the left) directly underneath.

Reason I never used this brand was I used Dad's old LR brand and that is what the calf table was set up for. Too lazy to reverse the table. :roll:

I prepaid my funeral and bought my head stone a couple years ago. I have the RR brand engraved on the head stone. :nod:

Latest posts